Hacking Question about replacing an NDSL case.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I intend to replace my DS' dull blue casing with this beauty. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14103

The problem comes with my touchscreen. I got my DS from someone else, and when I got it the touchscreen could sort of... move around when pushed. It would "sink" when pressed on, and I failed to find the reason it was doing it. So I super glue'd its plastic edge to the rest of the case.

Now if I'll need to remove the touchscreen from the rest of the case it is no doubt too firmly glued on the outer rim to come off. At the same time, looking at the components included in the casing I see two screen covers. Tey look like the covers on each screen. So my question is, when I glued the touchscreen, did I in fact only glue the cover on top of the screen, and that cover actually comes OFF the screen?

In other words if I disassembled the DS would I be able to separate the touchscreen from this plastic cover, leaving the cover glued to the old case?

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
The bottom screen consists of a lcd 'screen' and a clear, see through, 'touch screen' which sits on top. From what I understand from your post you glued the touch screen itself as there is no cover like the top screen, as the touch pad is the cover. If it had a cover you couldn't touch it.

Tip... try anything you can to rescue the original touch screen because personaly I have found the replacement touch screens be poor quality.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sidneyyoung said:
The bottom screen consists of a lcd 'screen' and a clear, see through, 'touch screen' which sits on top.And a frame on top of the touch screen.

QUOTE said:
From what I understand from your post you glued the touch screen itself as there is no cover like the top screen, as the touch pad is the cover. If it had a cover you couldn't touch it.Your understanding is wrong. He didn't say he glued the touch screen or the cover. He says " I super glue'd its plastic edge to the rest of the case" And this is one of the pieces included in the case kit.

Tip... try anything you can to rescue the original touch screen because personaly I have found the replacement touch screens be poor quality.
The replacement touch screen I bought from DX was good. The replacement LCD screen on the other hand was crap.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Thanks, I am relieved to know that they are two separate pieces. How hard is it to unstick them from one another? I'm a bit concerned about the quality yes, but this thing is irresistible. ;.=.; Thanks for telling me about the replacement LCD being crap. XD My touchscreen has a red dead pixel in the upper right corner anyway.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make sure not to peel off the top layer of the touch screen. My suggestion to you since the trim ring is glued into the ds. Take a toothpick or something thin and unlikely to scratch. At a very low angle to the touch screen, insert between plastic trim ring and touch screen. Repeat all the way around. Then you should be able to pull the mainboard with the LCD and touch screen still attached.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Mmmkay... I still dunno what comes off and what doesn't guess I'll have to be careful...

You say the ring and the plastic screen that gets all the touching come off right? That's all I need to get out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry: