Question about loading modes

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by R2DJ, Jun 8, 2010.

Jun 8, 2010

Question about loading modes by R2DJ at 10:23 PM (1,099 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Now that there is a new DMA mode in 1.7, along with Old DMA and QuickSave DMA mode, I'm just curious about some things:

1. What exactly is the "yellow DMA" mode? How does it differ from the other 2 modes?
    2. Does the new DMA mode offer better battery life for the DS?
    3. It is already said in the front page news that this new DMA mode increases the efficiency of microSDs, but has anyone actually felt that everything has become better in terms of performance?

I wanted to make this topic as I had problems with all of my save files since upgrading to 1.7. I've formatted my card, checked for errors, re-downloaded everything, set save types, etc.

2. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The new yellow DMA mode seems to be causing problems for people, but I'm sure normatt had a good reason to code it in. Maybe it does increase efficiency but isn't perfected yet. I really can't be sure.

Works good for me though.

3. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    What did you upgrade from?

Could be a problem with the file extension, AKAIO 1.7 wants lowercase .sav extensions. If you have save files with .SAV file extension, it may not see them.

You could try using this to rename them
    http://www.themolehole.eclipse.co.uk/renamesav3.exe let me know if that program works though.

4. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    All of my saves have been using the .sav (lowercase) extension ever since I got into the flash cart scene. And no, even my backed-up versions of the saves don't work anymore [​IMG]

5. penthaler

Member penthaler GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    1. you can convert your saves directly in akaio menu
    (show all files (or show nds+sav) - choose save to convert - properties - and there youll see left button)

Didnt tested if there will be any trouble converting SAV to SAV. Tested only convert SAV to NDS.SAV and NDS.SAV to SAV.

2. DMA are only TWO. YELLOW and RED.
    Yellow is instead of GREEN, RED is still RED, and BLUE doesnt exist anymore.
    It is good to have only TWO options to choose from [​IMG]

6. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    There is still three options, Yellow, Red and Green. Blue was non dma mode and was removed. Yellow uses faster saving functions but might be less compatible with future arm7 binaries than the other modes.

7. shineek

Member shineek GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    yes green DMA mode is still there , you activate it by pressing X while loading , and the red DMA mode is activated now by pressing A while loading

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I have an easier way to put that, it's from my guide.

[​IMG]