Question about FULL collection and hard drive set up

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by brollikk, Mar 11, 2018.

1. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    I am a BIG time collector and have backed up my entire xbox 360 game collection to isos on my computer. I recently got an RGH'd xbox 360 but am a bit confused about the hard drive situation here. I would like to preferably have my entire collection accessible all at once. I know that the xbox can have an internal and external hard drive connected... Do I Just swap out the hd's (with one internal and one external) and play? Is there a limit on size for each of these drives? specific formats I need? Do my isos have to be modified or converted? Am I going to be unable to play online? or is there a workaround (not a big deal - just asking).

Thanks in advance.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Swap out the internal one for a 2TB.
    Yes, you have to extract all your ISOs to gamerips.
    External drives must be FAT32.

It would've been wiser to get an Xkey, that will allow you to boot ISOs from externals.

3. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    thanks for the fast reply.

ISO to gamerip - this is time consuming?

and xkey - what exactly is this? It will allow me to load up all my games as is?

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    iso to game rip isn't so time-consuming. use exiso for this. it can batch convert.

5. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    ok thank you.

and what is an xkey exactly? it sounds like it could save me trouble by loading isos

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    An ODE - a chip that connects between motherboard and optical drive, providing the option of disconnecting the actual drive and simulating one from, typically, an iso file on an external drive plugged into the ODE

7. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you don't need the xkey if you own an rgh. besides, iso's take up a lot more space in many cases. the 360 has a few disc image sizes (I remember 7.05 and 7.29 I believe) which is the game, security sectors, and padding. something like exiso removes all that leaving the game files. shmups are that size, but the actual games might only be a few hundred MBs. I'm an avid collector of shmup games. :P

8. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    ok thank you. And what are my limitations of online gaming? RGH = no live play?

9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    if you connect to xbl with an rgh, you'll be banned almost instantly. the longest I've heard of someone not being banned while online with an rgh is 5 hours. don't expect that long. plus, the system is probably flagged immediately. the only way to get online is xblse which is a major rip off. you essentially have to pay money to an unscrupulous site.

10. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    ok that makes sense.

So basically what I need to do is connect a 2TB internally and a 2 tb (fat32) externally, convert my isos into gamerips and i'm good?

External drive must be powered? or can it just be a single usb connection?
    is changing the internal drive after the RGH has been performed safe?

11. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    changing the hdd is safe. I think @DinohScene has a tutorial on getting it back up in running. it has 3 partitions that you need to have in order for it to work properly, and I think that tutorial walks you through them. tbh, I may have to look at it myself since it's been ages since I changed hdds.

you can power an external hdd with one usb port. that's how I've been doing it with my system.

12. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    THANK YOU.

I think most of the big/important questions have been answered for now. I am going to look up that guide and proceed with some caution!!!!

godreborn likes this.
  13. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Find Exiso from Swizzy’s site Realmodscene. That’ll be your best bet for extracting those iso’s. The ones that don’t work with exiso will have to be extracted with Iso2GOD, which converts the game into digital purchase format rather than ripped disc format like Exiso does.

14. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    ISO2GOD is a perfect tool to copy them to GOD containers, Xbox Image Browser also does a very good job at extracting ISOs.

15. brollikk
    OP

brollikk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    What is the limit for external hard drive size? 2TB per drive? I know for sure I can format larger drives into MBR fat32... would it be possible to use an 8TB drive for the external?

16. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It's possible, I never tested it tho.
    I only know FATX has a limit of 2 TB.