Hacking Question about firmware spoofing and 3DS firmware version number

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello all,

OK, so I read that it is not particularly safe to update 3DS firmware via a ROM, but that it is better to by an original game cart with 4.5.x.

But then I got to thinking, maybe I don't need to buy an original game in order to update my 3DS to 4.5.x...

You see, I have a 4.3.x 3DS, but with firmware spoofing, maybe I can just stay on 4.3.x... Maybe I do not need to update to my 3DS 4.5.x to play games like Luigi's Mansion. Maybe firmware spoofing will fool my 3DS into thinking I already have 4.5.x.

Does this sound feasible?

Would anyone with the GW know if a 4.3.x 3DS can play 4.5.x ROMs with firmware spoofing? Or is that only for 5.1.x games like Mario/Luigi Dream Team.

Thanks!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

OK, so I read that it is not particularly safe to update 3DS firmware via a ROM, but that it is better to by an original game cart with 4.5.x.

But then I got to thinking, maybe I don't need to buy an original game in order to update my 3DS to 4.5.x...

You see, I have a 4.3.x 3DS, but with firmware spoofing, maybe I can just stay on 4.3.x... Maybe I do not need to update to my 3DS 4.5.x to play games like Luigi's Mansion. Maybe firmware spoofing will fool my 3DS into thinking I already have 4.5.x.

Does this sound feasible?

Would anyone with the GW know if a 4.3.x 3DS can play 4.5.x ROMs with firmware spoofing? Or is that only for 5.1.x games like Mario/Luigi Dream Team.

Thanks!
You should be perfectly fine. Although, in time, I recommend you updating to 4.5 (either by renting, buying, or borrowing a 4.5 game). The higher your firmware is, the more compatible games should be.

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should be perfectly fine. Although, in time, I recommend you updating to 4.5 (either by renting, buying, or borrowing a 4.5 game). The higher your firmware is, the more compatible games should be.

But compatible with what? If higher firmware is spoofed, what benefit would 4.5 offer anyway?

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Probably none at all TBH, maybe in the future when game dependent stuff gets added to firmware it would be a problem, but whether you are on 4.3 or 4.5 shouldnt make any difference or add compatibilty game wise, as you will be able to play all 4.5 and 5.1 games anyway
:)

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Probably none at all TBH, maybe in the future when game dependent stuff gets added to firmware it would be a problem, but whether you are on 4.3 or 4.5 shouldnt make any difference or add compatibilty game wise, as you will be able to play all 4.5 and 5.1 games anyway

That's what I'm hoping. I'll find this out when my GW arrives anyway.
I don't really want to update to 4.5.x if I can avoid it.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been multiple people having Gateway problems, and since it is such a new product, there has been no compilations of errors and their causes. Their problems could be due to them not having the right firmware. Of course, this is just a theory. Which is why I said (s)he is fine for now. I'm just saying that, by updating to 4.5, your console may be better because "Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user's experience."

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I'll try GW on 4.3.x, and if there are any problems, then I will buy Luigi's Mansion and will update to 4.5.x. Otherwise, I will say on 4.3.x.

Thanks all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1