Question about American SNES

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by OldClassicGamer, Jan 10, 2013.

Jan 10, 2013
  1. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Member OldClassicGamer GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Hello. I know that removing tabs allows you to play SFC Games but what about PAL games? Can you play them as well? According to region lockout article on wikipedia, answer is yes but some people on internet say no. Is there anyone who tried it and can confirm to me? Thanks :)

2. TyBlood13

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    No, you can't. That is because a USA SNES cannot put out a PAL video signal, and a your TV probably does not accept them anyway.

3. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan
    LOL, my TV is PAL, and it supports NTSC as well (Playing NTSC PS1 games on PAL PS2 produce massive black bar but it works)
    If i have right SNES cable could then pal games work?

4. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Not without an adapter. The games have lockout chips that stop them running in overseas consoles, its not just a matter of pal vs NTSC video standard and the shape of the cart.

You would connect the overseas cart as well as a local one (from the region of your console) to the adapter. The adapter would connect the data pins to the overseas game and the lockout chip pins to the local game, to allow it to run.

5. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    My old snes played both american and japanese games without using any adapter.

6. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Japanese and USA are both NTSC and share lockout chips. If you can get the cart into the slot then they'll work.

PAL and NTSC have different lockout chips, so need an adapter that uses a local game cart's chip, or I believe the action replay etc included a lockout chip and also acted as a region free adapter.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  7. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Didn't know that. I had a fair amount of japanese games back then. Since I couldn't understand english, it didn't really matter if the game was in japanese or english ^^

Count Duckula likes this.
  8. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    I only know of them from renting games back in the 16 bit days. My local video store often had overseas games and would also give you an adapter and a local game if you rented one. :)

9. OldClassicGamer
    OP

Japan
    So wikipedia is lying?

10. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
  11. J-Machine

Member J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    It simply wont work. You would need to modify the snes or circumvent the lockout chip to allow it to play pal games. In fact many games will simply tell you on boot up that the game was not made for your system.

12. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Speed, NTSC/PAL color, and lockout, are three different things.

Even if you install both a lockout switch and speed switch, the console will remain set to output NTSC color with composite/RF/s-video. Resulting in some form of NTSC50 at 50hz mode for those video types.