Quality of replacement shells

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ufotrash, Mar 18, 2010.

Mar 18, 2010
  1. ufotrash
    OP

Member ufotrash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So over the summer I replaced a DSL shell for my cousin. I decided to make it red and white for him. The red shell I bought off of ebay, was surprisingly good in quality. It was practically OEM quality. Like, it had that clear plastic layer on top of the red, instead of just being painted with a red that was glossy, you know? And the stylus had the crystal tip and everything...

I felt like making another red, so I ordered one off DX and it was pretty yucky quality in comparison. It just has a crappy layer of red that is glossy. It definintely makes a difference to me. And it's a SLIGHTLY darker red than the one I had gotten for my cuz. AND the stylus was just red plastic all over. I don't know. It's a little irksome...

So, I was just wondering what other's thoughts are on this. I wonder if I'm the only one who cares about that kind of nitpickery, you know?
    I was also wondering about your experiences buying shells online as well. I'm starting to see that it might just be a gamble. Sometimes I'll get a good shell, sometimes I'll get an obviously bootlegged looking one. Has there been anyone who'd gotten pieces that were CONSISTENTLY good quality??

on ANOTHER note. has anyone ever seen a purple/violet DS replacement shell that wasn't shiny or metallic looking? >:/

2. drag0nzord

Newcomer drag0nzord Advanced Member

United States
    anything i have bought that is made by XCM is amazing quality. i have put a shell on my wii, ps2, psp, and now my DSI. all were very good.

be weary of ebay rip offs.