Quality of DS Emulators?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by toddtj, Jul 2, 2011.

Jul 2, 2011

Quality of DS Emulators? by toddtj at 1:21 PM (1,247 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. toddtj
    OP

Newcomer toddtj Newbie

United States
    This seems like a question that is probably asked very frequently by people who don't want to take the time to research, so I apologize up front if this is annoying; to be clear, I have spent the last 2 and half hours wandering around Google, related forums, and review sites and am still very confused. Keep in mind that I am completely new to DS hacking and relatively inexperienced with hacking in general (only experience I have is somewhat thoroughly soft-moding my Wii). Before I spend the money to buy a flash cart and micro SD I want to be sure that a hacked DS's capabilities are worth the money (and effort).
    My question is as follows:

Does the DS have severe problems with emulation of all kinds? I've really only looked into SNES emulation, but it seems like I've found nothing but bad reviews--many roms can't be played at all, most roms having severe framerate issues, graphical glitches, audio glitches... Perhaps my expectations were/are inappropriate, but considering the size and popularity of the DS hacking community I was expecting there to be at least one nearly flawless emulator for all the popular older consoles (nes, snes, gb/gbc, gba, genesis, master system, gamegear).

Has my research given me an appropriate perception of the emulation abilities of the DS (that they are very sub-par), or I am being confused by biased reviews and/or old information? Perhaps I am even being confused by information that was uncommonly objective, mentioning all flaws no matter how small, and my lack of expertise/understanding is making mountains out of molehills?
    Am I being too harsh? Is it unfair to expect the DS to be able to emulate the consoles I mentioned at as high a quality as a computer or even Wii does?

Thanks in advance, and again, I'm sorry if I'm contributing to a flood of annoyingly common questions--I feel like I've put enough time/effort into researching this that I should have a more clear answer than I do...

2. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    The SNES emulator on the DS is bad.
    But the special one on the Supercard DS2 is better.
    So if your going into emulation I reccomend getting a Supercard DS2.

3. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    DS Emulators:

SNES: Snemulds (Maybe 35%ish of games play well)
    GBA: Not really doable without a slot 2 option.
    NES: NesDS has been getting a lot of updates lately, and works well.
    GB/GBC: Lameboy works really well.

SCDSTWO: Specialty cart.
    SNES: Much better than Snemul, but not perfect.
    GBA: Decent, not great.

The DS itself has pretty low specs compared to a PC, or even a modern gen home console. For hand-held emulators, the PsP is a much better option more times than not.

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    The only emulators I really enjoyed on the DS is Lameboy (perfection) and NesDS.
    All the other emulators (of recent systems) aren't finished or the DS is just too weak. I would really recommend you to buy a second-hand PSP (I got one for around 70 euros, fully hacked already) and try emulators there. The PSP is much much more powerful and has many more perfectly working emulators.
    I've already completed Fire Emblem with the gPSP emulator and I'm currently playing through another one. It works wonderfully, savestates work, cheats work, fast forward works. All perfectly.

I haven't tested any SNES emulator yet but I doubt the PSP can't handle that too. It can even play N64 roms pretty decently, so the SNES shouldn't be much of a problem.

5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    The DS is a terrible device for emulation. The emulators are hit and miss. The Supercard DS2 is better but like others have suggested the PSP is a shit hot for emulation.

6. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    Only emulation I do on my DS is NeoDS, A Neo Geo arcade emulator. No idea how they got it so good, but I don't care when I can play Garou.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I gotta' second the idea of a PSP. The DS's processing power is shit compared to the PSP, the PSP can play GBA and SNES games at fullspeed, whereas on the DS you're generally limited to no GBA games (from a normal slot-1) and glitchy/slow SNES.

8. natkoden

Member natkoden Not a New Member

Argentina
    Yeah, I use my PSP for emulation. Too bad Golden Sun 2 works like shit.

9. qweasd123

Member qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I've finished Link to the Past on SNES emu and few GB and GBC games on Lameboy. Also tried some NES games.

No problems.