Gaming Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament 99, which one you prefer?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not played either in quite some time*. For unreal tournament it was usually a slightly later version I played most. Never got on amazingly well with Quake 3 arena -- if it was the one everybody was playing on the LAN at a given point then I would certainly join in and have a good time but the only time you could catch me voting to play it was if it was a tactical vote to avoid Nerf Arena or if some fools thought we had enough players to make a convincing go of counterstrike, team fortress or one of the others without bots.
Even with that I think we sort of missed out Quake 3 arena -- we stuck with serial cables for rather longer than many, though we would have had LAN by this point for Carmageddon so I don't know there.

*indeed not played much in the way of classic style arena shooters, much less actually the classics of the genre, in quite some time. Was watching the following the other day which got me curious

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Quake III. I appreciate UT99-2004 and what those games did in terms of scale, variety and amount of content, but Q3 is in a whole other league when it comes to balance, pace and controls. In a lot of ways, it's a perfect arena shooter, and I can't name a single thing that Q3 does wrong with its fundamentals - it's a testament to its quality that people still actively play and organize tournaments around original Quake III even after all the re-releases and sequels, while UT gradually struggled to maintain its relevance despite several updates on the same formula (including a half-finished reboot that just died out in favor of Fortnite).

Last edited by Pipistrele,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still install and play Q3A once a year or so, although I have nothing against UT it just wasn't the game we played back in the day at lan parties so I don't have much nostalgia for it.

Neyalex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't get enough of Quake 3, I'm super lucky to have played it on and off since I was just a kid all the way to now. The game feel, the maps, everything in it is just an absolute joy to play with.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't get enough of Quake 3, I'm super lucky to have played it on and off since I was just a kid all the way to now. The game feel, the maps, everything in it is just an absolute joy to play with.
until some scrub fucking wrecks you with a plasma gun

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
WhyNotBoth?.webm

I think Quake 3 Arena feels better to play and looks a lot nicer, but IMO Unreal Tournament had funner weapons and levels for the time. If I were forced to chose either, I'd probably go for Unreal Tournament purely because I played that more than I did Quake 3 Arena.

But I like both equally ;O;

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Tough call, truly. Both are great games within their own right. If I had to choose? I'd go with UT99. Simply because flak cannon.

No, but really... UT99 had a more iconic tone and feel to it. Don't get me wrong, Q3A was a staple in competitive gaming. However, I liked the way UT99 felt and its pacing.

Last edited by Kioku,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
UT99 !!!!!!! :grog::grog::grog::toot::toot::hrth::hrth::toot:

Ahem...better start out at the beginning. It was somewhere at the end of last century. One of my hobbies was reading PC magazines (I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was looking forward to windows millennium :shy:). This current magazine featured a CD with game demos.

This "Unreal Tournament" certainly had my interest, though at best 'mildly'. I absolutely loved the earlier released Unreal, but while it featured a "vs against bots" mode, I didn't saw much appeal in that being the entire game.
That immediately blew out the window the second I started playing. Morpheus (a low gravity level featuring three huge-ass skyscrapers) was an instant classic, but the other deathmatch maps I played to dead as well (let's see...turbine and tempest were there...and *looks up* OF COURSE: phobos! :)). Then there was capture the flag (capture the flag! without needing that "internet" thing that was costly, slow and ate your phone bill :D ) and another weird "hold these positions" level. But not only were the maps great, the game had many tweaks and options. Team deathmatch where it was all vs you? No problem. You against an insanely good bot and a dumb player? You got it! On top of that icing was another layer of cake: mutators. These brought in low gravity, replace all weapons by just one and a few more gimmicky things. I played that demo TO DEATH!

Almost painful: that same demo CD also featured a quake 3 demo. Which didn't want to install because...something something error crash (this was pre-windows XP, mind you. Clear error messages were still a luxury). Took me some while, but once I finally got it loaded I was underwhelmed. It featured the same routine of hellish or industrial levels (or hellishly industrial!). The levels were uninspired, the weapons had only one fire mode (I was spoiled at that time) and the options practically nothing. Oh, right: and it didn't feature fancy stuff like dodging or lift jumps.

When the full games released, this difference was only widened. On hindsight, quake 3 certainly wasn't a BAD game. It was good. Potentially great, even. But unreal tournament simply blew it (as well as all "doom clones" of that time, btw) so much out of the water that it was in a league on its own. The translocator redefined CTF in a way that the genre didn't even knew it needed. The redeemer brought a whole new dynamic to the genre (superweapons!!!). Facing worlds was a classic the moment the public saw it. And as if great level design all around (barricade! peak! lavagiant!) wasn't enough, the game was incredibly open ended. The internet might have been slow and unreliable, but you could still find and download those mutators to change whole appearances. Same for mods, by the way.

Oh, and back then the developers backed their game like no tomorrow. I remember three or four new map packs, each filled with more than a few extremely high quality maps.

As for quake 3? Yeah...I had found the holy grail of gaming. I had found the meaning of life, encapsulated in the perfect game. So when my friends and I bundled our computers together to play computer games with each other...OF COURSE they only wanted to play quake 3. :glare:
It was fun, yeah. But still...why???

D

Deleted User

I've only played snippets of UT99, so I've gotta go with Quake 3! So much of my childhood was spent just playing against the bots again and again, which never got boring to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong