1. zergoven

OP zergoven Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Which one you guys prefer? I honestly prefer Q3A because it got that Quake feel that I can't describe (And that isn't in UT obviously). In my opinion, both games are timeless and if someone who haven't played it yet, I recommend it.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Not played either in quite some time*. For unreal tournament it was usually a slightly later version I played most. Never got on amazingly well with Quake 3 arena -- if it was the one everybody was playing on the LAN at a given point then I would certainly join in and have a good time but the only time you could catch me voting to play it was if it was a tactical vote to avoid Nerf Arena or if some fools thought we had enough players to make a convincing go of counterstrike, team fortress or one of the others without bots.
    Even with that I think we sort of missed out Quake 3 arena -- we stuck with serial cables for rather longer than many, though we would have had LAN by this point for Carmageddon so I don't know there.

*indeed not played much in the way of classic style arena shooters, much less actually the classics of the genre, in quite some time. Was watching the following the other day which got me curious

3. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Quake III. I appreciate UT99-2004 and what those games did in terms of scale, variety and amount of content, but Q3 is in a whole other league when it comes to balance, pace and controls. In a lot of ways, it's a perfect arena shooter, and I can't name a single thing that Q3 does wrong with its fundamentals - it's a testament to its quality that people still actively play and organize tournaments around original Quake III even after all the re-releases and sequels, while UT gradually struggled to maintain its relevance despite several updates on the same formula (including a half-finished reboot that just died out in favor of Fortnite).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot ̶g̶b̶a̶t̶e̶m̶p̶ Heroin Addict

United Kingdom
    if anyone says UT 99 I will beat them to death

5. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I still install and play Q3A once a year or so, although I have nothing against UT it just wasn't the game we played back in the day at lan parties so I don't have much nostalgia for it.

6. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

United States
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Tournament, Unreal, prefer