XP
Country
Ferrariman said:
More info? like FSB etc?
well its either:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115055
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036

the second the dual core is 3.0GHz or so which as i understand is much faster than the quad core at 2.33GHz, i thought that the amount of core was mostly for running more than one application at a time and as i will be running nothing but games on it at one time so for only playing games wouldn't the 3.0GHz help or does the quad core just blow it out the water?

also can anyone recommend a good cheap U.K store to get these from as newegg does not ship to U.K
frown.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I had the same choice and went for the Dual Core.

Quad Core isn't still that used in apps, and brute force (more mhzs) will just do more good than 2 more cores.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get the quad core.

I've used this website called "Can You Run It" to determine what games I can play, among other things, and every time it reads all the cored as one, adding then together.

The 3GHz dual core would read around 6GHz while the 2.5GHz quad core would read around 10GHz. I think that sums it up nicely.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
vergilite said:
raulpica said:

Quad Core isn't still that used in apps, and brute force (more mhzs) will just do more good than 2 more cores.

yaypsp.gif
now i just have to find one cheap over here in the U.K
frown.gif
Intel's E8xxx should be pretty cheap nowadays. Got a E8400 myself. Rock solid and can be overclocked easily to 3.6GHz with just air cooling
yaypsp.gif

D

Deleted User

much processing power isnt that great if you have not much cash memory.
so if the dualcore has one of 2mb and the quadcore has one of 20. than is my answer the quadcore...

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
Well actually, this is a hard decision. In the case you provided, I would go for the dual core, since it has 2mb more cache and obviously a faster frequency. (higher cache has proven to drastically improve game performance)
Games nowadays don't really take advantage of quad core, maybe some of the new ones but I doubt it. If you are aiming for a machine to play next gen games, multi-task, and maybe even virtualization, I'd go quad core. Technically speaking, a dual core coded game will run faster on the dual than on the Quad, because the game is only optimized for two, you're only using two, which means: 3.16GHz (6mb L2 cache) vs 2.33GHz 4MB L2 cache).

I predict that developers will start to optimize games for quad core systems within the next year, considering that fact that quad and beyond is Intel and AMD's focus right now. Intel is going to release an octo-core processor (8 cores), pretty soon.

If I were you, I would either get a faster Quad, with more cache, or stick with the dual core.

Just my 2 cents,

Christian

Edit:

Dimensional said:
I would get the quad core.

I've used this website called "Can You Run It" to determine what games I can play, among other things, and every time it reads all the cored as one, adding then together.

The 3GHz dual core would read around 6GHz while the 2.5GHz quad core would read around 10GHz. I think that sums it up nicely.

That is completely irrelevant, don't believe everything you see on the internet. You don't add up the frequencies like you did (dual core at 3.0 GHz is NOT 3.0 x2, it will always be 3.0!), anybody in the computer field should know that. More cores is used for multitasking, i.e. an emulator or game, uses one core at 3.0 GHz for graphics rendering, and the other core at 3.0GHz for sound processing. The computer treats them as two seperate processors, and the reason to do this, is to off the load and make it easier and more efficient for the app to process both at the same time, hence the name "multi-tasking".

The site you referred to is rubbish if they teach people that.

BTW, the dual core has 6MB of L2 cache, whereas the quad core only has 4MB of L2 cache. The cache is not per-core, but is shared, so more cache, better performance.
The dual core is ultimately the bets option for you, and these 45nm chips are easy to overclock (anything under 65nm is, i.e. my E1200 à 1.6GHz is now at 3.0 GHZ at 43°C Idle, with an asus fan cooler. You could easily overclock that baby to 3.5 or 4.0 GHz and keep the temp pretty low, and that will just blow the quad core away, it's a no brainer.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
vergilite said:
raulpica said:

yaypsp.gif
frown.gif
Intel's E8xxx should be pretty cheap nowadays. Got a E8400 myself. Rock solid and can be overclocked easily to 3.6GHz with just air cooling
yaypsp.gif

awesome just awesome but so far on ebay they are going for like £120-140 yeah i know what a rip off newegg sells them for $180 is it which is about 100 quid so im gonna have a look around some local shops etc

oh and can you guys recommend a mother board for about £100 doesn't have to have loads of FSB but enough to cope with the performance needs of newer games I HATE LAG
mad.gif

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
vinneke23 said:
much processing power isnt that great if you have not much cash memory.
so if the dualcore has one of 2mb and the quadcore has one of 20. than is my answer the quadcore...
Lol. There's no QuadCore with 20MBs and the E8xx series has 6MB, which is decent. And actually most QuadCores have less L2 than the high-end DualCores (obviously the high-end Quad Cores have a lot more
tongue.gif
).

vergilite said:
raulpica said:
vergilite said:
QUOTE(raulpica @ Aug 16 2009, 04:56 PM) I had the same choice and went for the Dual Core.

yaypsp.gif
frown.gif
yaypsp.gif

awesome just awesome but so far on ebay they are going for like £120-140 yeah i know what a rip off newegg sells them for $180 is it which is about 100 quid so im gonna have a look around some local shops etc

oh and can you guys recommend a mother board for about £100 doesn't have to have loads of FSB but enough to cope with the performance needs of newer games I HATE LAG
mad.gif
ASUS' P5Qs motherboards are great. I love ASUS products, they just work good, and you should easily find a P5Q for something like 80-90£.

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
I second that, ASUS is the best MB maker out there IMHO, but if you want to save a couple of bucks, you could go MSI, as they are pretty good also. (P5K/Q boards are good, P35/45 chipsets are good for overclocking on MSI boards, I've never had any problems.)

BTW, an Intel P35 express based MSI board (P35 Neo-F) cost me 65 euros, and the price has gone down now. It's a decent board, PCI-E x16, x1, ALC888, Gigabit LAN, 5 SATA-II, 1333 FSB, 45nm support, DDR2 (533-800 MHz).

D

Deleted User

thats right 20mb isn't true, I said that because I don't know how many cash memory there is at the moment for cpu's. I said that to compare the cpu's. not that it was actually 20mb's...

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
vinneke23 said:
thats right 20mb isn't true, I said that because I don't know how many cash memory there is at the moment for cpu's. I said that to compare the cpu's. not that it was actually 20mb's...
Yeah sorry, didn't want to be that picky
tongue.gif

Here are the current values for the Core 2 series:
Low-end Dual Cores (E4xxx): 2MB
Entry Dual Cores (E6xxx): Some have 2MB, most have 4MB
Mid level Dual Cores (E7xxx): 3MB
High level Dual Cores (E8xxx): 6MB

Old Quad Cores (Q6xxx): 2x4MB
Entry Level Quad Cores (Q8xxx): 2x2MB
Mid Level Quad Cores (Q9xxx): 2x3MB
High Level Quad Cores (Q9450+): 2x6MB

tongue.gif

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok well il see because i might sell my 360 because i will be doing all my gaming on the PC so as i consider the processor my priority i might spend a bit extra and get a quad core with AT LEAST 6mb cache (they are expensive
frown.gif
)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vergilite said:
raulpica said:
vergilite said:
raulpica said:

yaypsp.gif
frown.gif
yaypsp.gif

mad.gif
the gigabyte ud3 series of boards are great
they are pretty much the best P45 boards, ASUS has slipped down into a slump releasing crummy boards ever since after the 975X series chipset boards

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For everyone saying that 'not many games/apps support quad-core', keep in mind that this CPU will proabably last 2-3 years. But then, I'm sure, more games and applications will completely support quad core CPUs.
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1