[Q] Auto boot Reinand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Magic Lubricant, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Magic Lubricant GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Hello, sorry if this was asked before but I was wondering if when you can make reinand auto boot? If not, how exactly does MSET work? I know it has something to do with the ds profile, but I read that it downgrades the system settings app, is there a version that doesn't? MSET can be used to boot reinand right?
    Sorry if these are dumb questions, but thanks for the help!

2. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Autoboot? As in boot directly to it from a powered off console? If that's what you're talking about, not likely going to happen any time in the near future (if at all). The system's bootloader appears to be locked down far too much for this to be viable any time soon (unless someone manages to find some sort of loophole in the security).

Magic Lubricant likes this.
  3. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    No.
    Mset downgrades the system settings to 4.5 for use of profile exploit (System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile
    There is not a Profile exploit w/o downgrading Mset
    Yes you can use Mset + Reinands ROP to launch Reinand with the profile exploit

4. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the help guys

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, just a quick question, if I were to install a CIA of cubic ninja to my emunand and it runs perfectly, would it be safe to install it to the system nand?

5. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    safe to install it? Sure. You could do so using something like pasta....mind you then you'll have to boot it up via pasta, as it wouldn't be a properly signed .cia. Also do keep in mind, that installing ANYTHING to sysnand could cause issues going forward if nintendo figures out ways to determine what's legitimate and what isn't (probably wouldn't be very hard for them to do, but they haven't taken any steps in this direction yet).

Zidapi likes this.
  6. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Okay, so I guess it's easier to just use a retial cubic ninja cart to boot it.

7. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    At the moment you can not do this, but there should be a way to make it autoboot with an exploit, once I get my hardmod for my 3DS I will start working on this.

8. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Awesome, let me know if you manage to do it :)

9. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    All you need is to use Cubic Ninja a handful of times to setup Mset, after that you can just launch Reinand from the profile.

10. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Would the
    downgrade would only be for sysnand right? I would still have the all the settings like mSD management and nnid in emunand? Also, how does the reinand ROP and installing MSET work exactly?

11. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
  12. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Awesome, and about your guide, when I download the rar file it doesn't extract all the files, it brings up an error message about encryption, and I can't open the rich text file to read the guide.

Also, playing a ds game will wipe MSET right?

Last edited by Magic Lubricant, Aug 17, 2015
  13. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Good luck to you. It's my understanding though that there's a pretty sophisticated set of checks and balances in the bootloader, and to the best of my knowledge anyone that's tampered with the bootloader in any way has ended up with a brick. If you can somehow manage to work around it though, I'll be more than thrilled, because this means that eventually something that works similar to boot2 for the wii might be able to be developed.

14. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    Try updating your winrar if it isn't.

DS games will wipe the ROP, there is a way to make this 'stuck' though. But it's not 100% guranteed to work or last forever for whatever reason.

15. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    By wiping the ROP you mean it will revert system settings back to the one with your firmware?

16. gudenau

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    There is no way this method has that access, it comes after the bootloader is done.

Or reinstall the propper mset.

17. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    No, it'll wipe the ability to launch reinand from the profile exploit.
    Mset isn't wiped unless you update your firmware / restore a backed up NAND.BIN prior to installing the Mset.

18. Magic Lubricant
    OP

Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    I feel really stupid know... I was typing in the wrong password this whole time 0.o

you dont need a hardmode to restore a nand backup if your ds is still working and you have access to the gateway menu, right?

Were would you find the one for your firmware?

19. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Definitely.

It'd mean booting your physical Cubic Ninja cart to run pasta, then launching your installed Cubic Ninja to run reiNAND. Seems a little redundant, no? Definitely quicker to just boot reiNAND in the first instance

20. gudenau

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Nintendo's servers.