ROM Hack Puzzle Quest rom hacking question

thraden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, you can easily mod the PC version of both PQ games. My question is, can it be done on the DS? I managed to unpack the rom, the LUA files are all there, but seem to be encoded in a weird way. Does anyone have a solution?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite liking the game I have yet to play with it.
Unpacked the rom (1064- EU version)
xml files have a few flags/wildcard/special type characters but nothing special.
lua. I am not well versed in it but what I see appears to be similar to java bytecode/later VB in concept which is not how I understand lua generally is. Crystaltile2 flags some of the luac files as LZ compressed but fails to do anything with them.

I guess we now have to ask what do you want to do, most of the text and spell effects and general gameplay functions are in the xml files (I edited one within the DS rom and it came out fine in desmume). Images are not standard DS/hardware style formats but some work with Font.xml and Assets.xml and a memory viewer (alas desmume is not quite there in terms of inbuilt hacking tools) should be enough to drag that out.

There is also some stuff located within the ARM9 (plain ASCII).

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
sounds a little complex to understand for a mid-minded person and thus far as i can understand you nicely figured out
rolleyes.gif

but that symple system using lua
wacko.gif
kinda amazes me for a simple game like puzzle quest

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you saying the LUAs are easily replaceable? Or do they differ from the LUAs from the PC version?

There are a couple of great hacks on the Infinite Interactive forum that fix mining difficulty (random difficulty, easy, or just more likely to complete) and a hack for the jump gate hacking game that stops the timer ticking down while gems are in motion to prevent punishing long chains.

Both of these are great and just edits of B006.lua and b002.lua in Assests\scripts\battlegrounds\

It'd be neat to be able to replace the DS ones with these edited PC ones.

theli

Trophies
Website
theli.is-a-geek.org
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
I am not well versed in it but what I see appears to be similar to java bytecode/later VB in concept which is not how I understand lua generally is. Crystaltile2 flags some of the luac files as LZ compressed but fails to do anything with them.
those are indeed precompiled lua files
if they weren't game would lag even more
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?