OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cooler9711.me
XP
Country
United States
So, I have had a thought. If I put an O3DS fw on my EmuNAND on my N3DS, will I be able to System Transfer to the O3DS with the hacked DSIWare and achieve CFW that way?

P.S. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can't transfer from the new3DS to the old3DS. You can only transfer from old to new.
There is no way around this, not even with an emuNAND.
You also can not use an emuNAND from one system on another system. emuNAND are a clone of the host system's NAND itself and thus is encrypted to the host system.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Zidapi

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
You can't transfer from the new3DS to the old3DS. You can only transfer from old to new.
There is no way around this, not even with an emuNAND.
You also can not use an emuNAND from one system on another system. emuNAND are a clone of the host system's NAND itself and thus is encrypted to the host system.

It's possible, ask the a9lh devs, they got 2.1 on the n3ds, should be possible to do the same with 11.4 o3ds on n3ds.

Last edited by iAqua,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible, ask the a9lh devs, they got 2.1 on the n3ds, should be possible to emulate a 11.4 o3ds on n3ds.
reverse engineering a fw to work in a newer stronger console is one thing but in order to do what you suggest you would likely need some kind of hardmod connected to a custom board with the o3ds chips not present in the n3ds revision if i remember correctly by the nature of emulation you need a system at least 2x the power of the target console

long story short of course you cant emulate o3ds on n3ds

feel free to correct me if you have some (sort of) proof to back it up

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
reverse engineering a fw to work in a newer stronger console is one thing but in order to do what you suggest you would likely need some kind of hardmod connected to a custom board with the o3ds chips not present in the n3ds revision if i remember correctly by the nature of emulation you need a system at least 2x the power of the target console

long story short of course you cant emulate o3ds on n3ds

feel free to correct me if you have some (sort of) proof to back it up
ooops by emulate I mean run on the console itself, installing o3ds firmwares was used in the a9lh guide.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's possible, ask the a9lh devs, they got 2.1 on the n3ds, should be possible to emulate a 11.4 o3ds on n3ds.
Should be possible, expect no one has setup anything past 2.1 (as far as I can tell.) You also can't update 2.1 on the new3DS.
There are a lot factors here that need to be worked beforehand and it would just make more sense to buy a 2DS instead.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I completely agree, just making sure people know it's possible.
The other issue of course being that running an Old3DS OFW on a new3DS will still result in a perma-brick when putting the system into sleep mode. This should happen regardless of the fw version.
That warning isn't directed at you personally, but at anyone considering this idea.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
The other issue of course being that running an Old3DS OFW on a new3DS will still result in a perma-brick when putting the system into sleep mode. This should happen regardless of the fw version.
That warning isn't directed at you personally, but at anyone considering this idea.
isn't that brick fixable with sighax?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
isn't that brick fixable with sighax?
Nope, MCU bricks are not fixable. Once a new3DS is bricked as the result of an MCU brick, neither Sighax(B9S) nor hardmod can fix it, it's perma-dead.
These bricks also happen with emuNANDs.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
so he has to get it on the first try, systransfer and then restore without sleeping once.
Yup, this of course implying he can get a working old3DS emuNAND on a new3DS and the system transfer works.
Like I said, I can't find a record of anyone actually doing a system transfer from New3DS 2.1 to old3DS. So anyone trying this is going to be going in blind and on their own.

Reactions: iAqua

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Should be possible, expect no one has setup anything past 2.1 (as far as I can tell.) You also can't update 2.1 on the new3DS.
There are a lot factors here that need to be worked beforehand and it would just make more sense to buy a 2DS instead.
From what I heard you can update it, just not past a certain firmware (9.0+ I believe, so any n3DS-aware versions will not work)
It might be possible to transfer from a n3DS on a <=8.x o3DS firmware and an o3DS, but that's not useful for OP since their o3DS is on 11.4, and system transfer cannot work between two different versions of the system transfer app.

Edit: Also, o3DS emuNAND on a n3DS was never figured out, was it? That 2.1 ctrtransfer only works on sysNAND.
It would be a useful feature to have though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
From what I heard you can update it, just not past a certain firmware (9.0+ I believe, so any n3DS-aware versions will not work)
It might be possible to transfer from a n3DS on a <=8.x o3DS firmware and an o3DS, but that's not useful for OP since their o3DS is on 11.4, and system transfer cannot work between two different versions of the system transfer app.

Edit: Also, o3DS emuNAND on a n3DS was never figured out, was it? That 2.1 ctrtransfer only works on sysNAND.
It would be a useful feature to have though.
I've never really read about anyone going past 2.1, but then again people were only on 2.1 to install A9LH. If there was testing past that, then it was mostly in private.
I actually no idea if the 2.1 emuNAND was ever fixed for the new3DS. It used to require making a 2.1 emuNAND then flashing it to the system to install A9LH, but back then it would always boot to a black screen until you fixed it, then flashed it. Although IIRC, that was mostly CFW related. It's actually extremely recently that CFWs started working on super early OFW. Luma3DS was literally just tested last month on all OFWs. Tests shows that Luma3DS does support them, but it was only tested on an old3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out