Purchasing a PS3 (New Slim or Used Fat)

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by keine, Sep 2, 2010.

Sep 2, 2010
  1. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am now looking into purchasing a PS3 for certain reasons [​IMG] and am wondering whether it would be wiser to purchase a new slim or try find an older used phat PS3. I am wondering about the phat option simply because of the possibility to play PS2 games and any possible PS2 features that may come in time with hombrew support, such as ISO loading. I don't know of anything much cooler than launching my PS1/PS2/PS3 game library from external and thus my inclinations to try find a PS3 phat. After that it comes down to the BC Hardware based or BC software based idea. I've done some research and it seems to me that all PS3's have PS1 support, its just the PS2 support that got slowly nixed, Hardware>Software>None. Any link to a comparative compatibility chart detailing this loss. I thought I read upwards of 90% and greater PS2 compat on hardware based BC PS3 fats.

Your guys' thoughts? I have plenty of time, or until Sony starts patching, to decide. I would greatly appreciate input.
    All in all though, its a highly prone waiting game to see what comes of this (Homebrew/Capabilities) and Sony's response.
    What do you have and/or had? Do/did you like it?
    Another question is noise? My falcon 360 is an absolute pecker in the noise department. Between the DVD drive and the back fans, its a piece of junk. Launch PS3 vs. Slim in noise?

2. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I would probably say get an old phat to play your PS3 games and such. I don't think the slim is worth it.

3. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    My little brother ended up getting a used fat PS3 and my little sister played it, it had PSN and trophy issues with her games, she now uses my slim and doesn't have any of the issues she had on the fat.

I'd say go for the slim.

4. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

Go for the fat.

5. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ball2012003, any reason?

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If you can play ps2 games on the ps3 fat depends on its model, some fats can't play ps2 games. And for OtherOS, well i wouldn't be surprised if some hacker could add it to the slim now or a very similar Linux that is able to do the same stuff and maybe more. Oh and the ability to launch OtherOS was removed on a certain update, so you would need to look at the firmware version too.

A new slim should eat less power, and a new ps3 is the only way to make sure the laser is as ok as possible. I think i heard of ps3 lasers dying like the ps2 lasers.

7. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What kind of problems could I run into buying a used Phat?

Laser?
    Noise?

8. joybeba6679

Member joybeba6679 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If by certain reasons you mean a $150+ reason of playing backups then you can get any ps3, supposedly that thing works on any ps3, now do yourself a favor and search about that $150+ reason.... you might get a surprise....

9. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I know, 20$ clones, Tiny++, etc, etc.

I would go new, its just the possibility of going phat and possibly being able to load PSX/PS2 from hDrive in the near future. I would say that might be worth the phat's disadvantage (noise/power/form) and laser issues. I would guess that laser issues will become nonexistent, as the hack progresses the bludriver will be required almost not at all. (W/ My 360 I could take the drive totally out as its 100% not needed)

10. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Jsut get the Slim. Its a much improved machine than ths old phats. If you want o play PS1/PS2 back ups than just get PS2.

11. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Get a slim and save yourself from getting a YLOD that seems to be happening more and more on the older PS3s.

12. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Went with a Fat.
    See here as recommended by Kotaku.
    Take my chances with the YLOD and it came with a new laser.

13. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    ^LMFAO. that better be a 60GB PS3 LAUNCH model that hasn't been in production in years. If not you wasted your money thinking you were getting what Kotaku said.

lAWlz

14. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It is, its a 2006, 60Gb model with PS2 Emotion included on die......I researched this...

15. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Okay.....that fell through I believe. So I'm kinda paniking now cause I NEED MY JAILBREAK, before sony destroys this. I just don't want to be stuck with a PS3 thats already sealed up.

SHOULD? I be worried about PS2 BC?
    Wasn't there a rumor or news that Sony would be reintroducing PS2 BC into all PS3's late 2010? Also, should I be worried with the propsed PSX2 port coming to the PS3?
    Would you be worried about that? I own a PS2 as well. Its just PS1/PS2/PS3 library versus just PS1/PS3......guess its not THAT big of a deal. but.
    The only reason I was looking at the phat's was due to the PS2 BC.

16. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I'd go for the slim. It looks a million times better [​IMG]

17. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I gave up on the PS2 BC long time ago. To be honest you'll likely not miss it [​IMG]

18. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's *way* more votes for Slim than for Fat.

19. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    well call me crazy but i actually went for a pre-owned phat over a pre-owned slim because i preferred the look of the phat :x
    (also, i was hoping it might still have otherOS support but that would have just been a minor plus [​IMG])

20. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, I don't really care for OtherOS....as no doubt full blown linux will be all over the PS3 soon.
    I *hope* this scene is more like the Wii rather than the 360. (The JTAG 360 scene is pretty sLoW and wEaK)

It was just that PS2 compat. I might get it anyway through a PS2 emu through either Sony or Homebrew someday. The phat might die on me too.....and lets face it the odds increase with the slims. Not that the phats were anything bad to begin with. IDK.

Guess I shouldn't be absolutely paniked yet....no doubt there will be a MFG date a couple months out that you'll need to hit. No absolute frenzy rush. However if this scene turns out to be a Wii scene (lots of exploits found and lots of work done) then all future PS3 by hook or crook (or Indiana Jones) will be homebrew capable.