PSX DESR-5000 on its way

THWAMP_THING

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so my inner 12 year old is mid defication from finally acquiring this jewel at the price i wanted. so basically im looking for any info and or stories people have relating to experience with these systems. familiarity with software and hardware. maintenance. insight to reasonable modifications.(if youre savvy) or just general discussion about the system. im stoked to run a lot of my old games on it. :]

Last edited by THWAMP_THING,

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're going to have a hell of a time with it. These things are unreliable as fuck, notoriously hard to fix and while I do believe somebody got PS2 code running on it I'm not sure the implementation. Just saying, if it shows up and doesn't read CDs but reads DVDs, or the hard drive is dead, or it doesn't read anything, or it just bursts into flames when you boot it up - don't be surprised.

It is region locked too, I think I should add.

THWAMP_THING

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i didnt suspect the region lock as sony is normally very good about not even utilizing that, but the HDD portion i suspected. i refuse to beleive you cant maintain this issue though. any info on HDD specs? or oddball wikis with other fans of market failure devices?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

region lock really? this is intriguing considering ps2/ps3/psp/vita why only this and ps4? sony dev is a mystery sometimes. bipolar decisions, like, fuck DRM and lets open the market to community, to fuck the community pull that license. and sue modders.

btw you will not cease my stokedness. this system is for my personal archive above anything else. but if i could find exploits (which im sure are plentiful) i will surely play with them. this system had a good idea at its core. the price was wrong though.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didnt suspect the region lock as sony is normally very good about not even utilizing that, but the HDD portion i suspected. i refuse to beleive you cant maintain this issue though. any info on HDD specs? or oddball wikis with other fans of market failure devices?

region lock really? this is intriguing considering ps2/ps3/psp/vita why only this and ps4? sony dev is a mystery sometimes. bipolar decisions, like, fuck DRM and lets open the market to community, to fuck the community pull that license. and sue modders.

btw you will not cease my stokedness. this system is for my personal archive above anything else. but if i could find exploits (which im sure are plentiful) i will surely play with them. this system had a good idea at its core. the price was wrong though.
PS1 and PS2 were both region locked - and in my own research it's not as complex as I remember to load backups and region free stuff. It requires a PS2 with FMCB already to set up however, and no, a regular FMCB setup will not work - it requires some modification for it to load properly on these consoles. I'm almost certain you can't play PS1 backups through FMCB (unless something has changed) and you can only use some of the space on the internal drive for PS2 backups. Only like 40GB of it is usable for OPS2L. Finally, the reliability problems are real. These things die very easily, and if the hard drive is dead - the console is dead. You cannot swap it with any hard drive, only a handful of Sony drives can be used to replace a dead one, usually from another PSX with a dead drive and even then I'm not entirely sure that works. A big issue with this thing is it's not documented at all. Probably why it's very limited in fixability and hackability. Take a look at luke's videos about the system to get an idea for how these things can seriously be terrible to work on.

EDIT: with all this negativity I'm talking about - I would like to say, I want one of the machines badly too. They're just badass and I'd probably buy a fully working one for a good price. Even then, I'd be afraid to use it for fears it will just die!

https://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1/search?query=psx

Last edited by lisreal2401,
Reactions: THWAMP_THING

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah, I have heard the DESR systems are a bit of a nightmare as if the hard drive breaks the system is effectively bricked

iirc someone did actually figure out a way of getting FMCB to bypass the issue, but the system still will never be 100% again, it just lets you use a iso loader I think, unfortunately all the info was on assembler games which has been down for months now

but still its a nice system to have anyway, just be sure to treat it well and any normal game playing should be done on a standard ps2/ps1 :)

a lot of assembler games members have headed over to obscuregamers you may be able to gat more info over there as assembler games used to be the go to place for help with more obscure hardware

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-