OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I googled it, came up with results, but needed to be sure. :P

Is my 500W PSU enough for upgrading to a Asus Strix GTX 970? I'm not entirely sure about the brand of my PSU (can't check right now).

CPU: i5-4670
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB WD Blue
SSDs: Samsung Evo 250gb and Kingston 250gb

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I googled it, came up with results, but needed to be sure. :P

Is my 500W PSU enough for upgrading to a Asus Strix GTX 970? I'm not entirely sure about the brand of my PSU (can't check right now).

CPU: i5-4670
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB WD Blue
SSDs: Samsung Evo 250gb and Kingston 250gb
With the GTX 970 it sounds like you're cutting it close it also depends on what brand your buying.

Clanver

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Germany
500W should be sufficient, but like the ones above said, the brand is quite decisive here.

I have almost the same setup (970GTX, 8Gig,multiple ssd hdds), but instead of the ivy i5 i have the 2500k which has more power consumption. I had an 600W before and it was working fine (till it died, since it was old). Now im running a 700W BeQuit one.

Last edited by Clanver,

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some of the cheap brands do not deliver the advertised power and usually shut down or go up in smoke when the go near it

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you link the supply you are looking at? if it is coming from a decent brand you will be fine, else you may have issues.

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
The designated power requirement of your setup is upto 450W, and like everyone here has stated, if the brand of your PSU is really good, it should be able to provide at least that much.

Here's a list of PSUs that are really good...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Click "See Full Content" to reveal the list.

If your PSU is in the 1st or 2nd tier, you should be okay :) If not, I would SERIOUSLY SUGGEST you to upgrade your PSU to at least a good quality 600W PSU.

If you look at my PSU, Seasonic M12II 620W, I wanted to be future proof, hence went with the 620W as I can easily SLI my GTX 970 with this PSU in the future :)

Citra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do not put your PC lifespan to risk. The PSU is the most PC component. It is way better to have
more than less, even if you decide not to overclock. So you can add an extra GPU later on if needed.
Plus, PSU are not expensive right now. I heavily recommend a Corsair CX750M or Corsair RM750X.
Corsair is the most reliable PSU maker, my PSU still works after 5 long years, and pretty much every
PC Mag recommends them. Good Luck.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not put your PC lifespan to risk. The PSU is the most PC component. It is way better to have
more than less, even if you decide not to overclock. So you can add an extra GPU later on if needed.
Plus, PSU are not expensive right now. I heavily recommend a Corsair CX750M or Corsair RM750X.
Corsair is the most reliable PSU maker, my PSU still works after 5 long years, and pretty much every
PC Mag recommends them. Good Luck.
corsair hasnt put out good psu's in a long time, the CX series is bottom of the barrel entry level psu
the RM series was terrible

I would recommend an evga or seasonic (or rebrabded seasonic) psu's
750w is a bit overkill, 550w should be fine
also @ op, I wouldn't get the ASUS ver, get a EVGA or MSI one instead, PNY is decent too

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're after something cheap AND reliable, go for a silverstone strider essentials. I think they make a 520w which should get you by just fine. The 600w they make costs bugger all too though.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Thanks for the help so far!
iirc the brand of my current PSU is Power logic (something magnum pro) and I faintly remember it being "gold edition". Bought that for around $120 a few months back.

I also have another 500w power supply (power logic, I really should stop getting that brand) and it says on the sticker it goes up to 800w, whatever that means.

I'll try getting a 600w power supply here, don't have a lot of money... But is there any way I could use one of the two PSUs I have without risking my PC lifespan? (I don't plan on OC)

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Well nvm then, I did what most of you guys said and bought a PSU. (please don't tell me even this is not good enough ;P)

X5aAGXx.jpg

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s