PSU Sufficient Enough?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Jiehfeng, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    I googled it, came up with results, but needed to be sure. :P

Is my 500W PSU enough for upgrading to a Asus Strix GTX 970? I'm not entirely sure about the brand of my PSU (can't check right now).

CPU: i5-4670
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 1TB WD Blue
    SSDs: Samsung Evo 250gb and Kingston 250gb

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Should be fine. Although you really need to check who makes it. Not all psus are created equal. I wouldn't run it on junk like cit or evo-labs for example, no matter what rating they've stuck on the box.

Last edited by Armadillo, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    With the GTX 970 it sounds like you're cutting it close it also depends on what brand your buying.

4. Clanver

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    500W should be sufficient, but like the ones above said, the brand is quite decisive here.

I have almost the same setup (970GTX, 8Gig,multiple ssd hdds), but instead of the ivy i5 i have the 2500k which has more power consumption. I had an 600W before and it was working fine (till it died, since it was old). Now im running a 700W BeQuit one.

Last edited by Clanver, Dec 7, 2015
  5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    some of the cheap brands do not deliver the advertised power and usually shut down or go up in smoke when the go near it

6. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    can you link the supply you are looking at? if it is coming from a decent brand you will be fine, else you may have issues.

7. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    The designated power requirement of your setup is upto 450W, and like everyone here has stated, if the brand of your PSU is really good, it should be able to provide at least that much.

Here's a list of PSUs that are really good...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Click "See Full Content" to reveal the list.

If your PSU is in the 1st or 2nd tier, you should be okay :) If not, I would SERIOUSLY SUGGEST you to upgrade your PSU to at least a good quality 600W PSU.

If you look at my PSU, Seasonic M12II 620W, I wanted to be future proof, hence went with the 620W as I can easily SLI my GTX 970 with this PSU in the future :)

8. Citra

Citra Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2015
    Malmo
    Do not put your PC lifespan to risk. The PSU is the most PC component. It is way better to have
    more than less, even if you decide not to overclock. So you can add an extra GPU later on if needed.
    Plus, PSU are not expensive right now. I heavily recommend a Corsair CX750M or Corsair RM750X.
    Corsair is the most reliable PSU maker, my PSU still works after 5 long years, and pretty much every
    PC Mag recommends them. Good Luck.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
  10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    corsair hasnt put out good psu's in a long time, the CX series is bottom of the barrel entry level psu
    the RM series was terrible

I would recommend an evga or seasonic (or rebrabded seasonic) psu's
    750w is a bit overkill, 550w should be fine
    also @ op, I wouldn't get the ASUS ver, get a EVGA or MSI one instead, PNY is decent too

11. ody81

ody81 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012
    If you're after something cheap AND reliable, go for a silverstone strider essentials. I think they make a 520w which should get you by just fine. The 600w they make costs bugger all too though.

12. Jiehfeng
    OP

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Thanks for the help so far!
    iirc the brand of my current PSU is Power logic (something magnum pro) and I faintly remember it being "gold edition". Bought that for around $120 a few months back.

I also have another 500w power supply (power logic, I really should stop getting that brand) and it says on the sticker it goes up to 800w, whatever that means.

I'll try getting a 600w power supply here, don't have a lot of money... But is there any way I could use one of the two PSUs I have without risking my PC lifespan? (I don't plan on OC)

13. Citra

Citra Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2015
    Malmo
    It is possible, it just be a hell of a mess.

14. Jiehfeng
    OP

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Well nvm then, I did what most of you guys said and bought a PSU. (please don't tell me even this is not good enough ;P)

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Jiehfeng, Dec 12, 2015
  15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It wouldn't be that bad, it's just nowhere near preferable

16. Jiehfeng
    OP

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Well, just tried the PSU+GPU today, works fine. Thanks for the help guys! ^_^

TotalInsanity4 likes this.