PSP2 at E3?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by SFenton, May 14, 2010.

May 14, 2010

PSP2 at E3? by SFenton at 2:10 PM (2,482 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. SFenton
    OP

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    Rumor: PSP2 at E3

While I normally hate these rumors as many of you do, with the Nintendo 3DS being showcased at E3, I figure that this one has more prominence as Sony is going to need to compete, and the PSP, as much as I hate to say it, simply will not cut it. Oh well, we'll see.

Discuss!

(Also, what week is E3 this year?)

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    June 15th-17th.

And Sony will have to show off something to compete with Nintendo. Hopefully its something good.

3. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    A PSP2 announcement is a possibility. But Sony really needs to change their marketing strategy with their new handheld. And a bigger library of games. With more AAA titles.

4. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    AAA Titles? Not sure what you mean by that but I do agree that some new PSP handheld would be nice, though a bit sad at the same time. Should we see some new PSP or similar handheld if it doesn't have any sort of Backwards compatibility many people are going to jump ship and go to it and tons of others are going to stick cozy with their old PSPs. However, should Sony be smart and include Backwards Compatibility and allow UMDs to be used, many people would most likely go ahead and purchase one without a problem, myself being one of them.

5. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    [​IMG] I wanna stick with my old PSP... it hasn't even been with me for a year...

6. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    we need a psp2 board where we can make retarded speculations about a system that does not yet exist.

"omg psp2 are abl 2 play ps2 gaems!" "u also cn put penis in an it maek u off!"

the 3ds forums annoy me to no end...

7. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Awww yea gurl.

8. 67birdman

Member 67birdman GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Same here, dawg

9. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
  10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Bullshit rumor. Last I heard they shitcanned PSP2 development because of the Go and due to lack of solid support thanks to all the damn piracy compounded by years of losses from PS3 sales not equaling costs of making the thing. They supposedly intend a 10yr cycle on it so I'd be a little surprised. If I do hear something that changes from my brother (works for one of their 3rd parties) I'll bring it on.

11. SFenton
    OP

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    Well, if PSP2 were to have as great a system in place as PS3 there'd be no reason to worry about piracy.

12. TanookiSuit

United States
    I suppose if they learned their lesson a new system wouldn't be so exposed to weak sauce shit like pandora batteries and the rest.

The thing is logically speaking they've lost an astronomical amount of money not just in the gaming division but also in movies since the end of the Spiderman trio. With the fact PS3 is deeply in the hole and now just starting to dig out it wouldn't make much sense to release a new system right now as they need to milk what works for cash. They had been(I was told) R&D'ing a PS4 and a PSP2 but shitcanned both after the huge losses they've posted each years due to PS3 and lack of Spidey to bail them out in the theaters among other things.

13. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    FFS, two analog sticks, and downloadable PS2 games. You will be able to print money, Sony.

14. SFenton
    OP

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    I always thought that the game division and film divisions weren't interrelated; that said, as they both fall under a Sony banner, and thus Sony itself is losing money, I'll grant that your argument is legitimate. I will also agree that PS4 R&D'ing would be slightly ridiculous- they still have to push the PS3 and the Move right now. The only console this generation that NEEDS an upgrade soon will be the Wii- it's inevitable that it will fall behind at some stage. The PSP2, however, Sony still has the potential to make money off of. Just ensure backwards compatibility- whether through UMD or not- is possible. It would be very divisive if there was no BC- I for one would be very skeptical to upgrade. I mean, it would move PSP games as well- so it's not exactly a bad idea, all in all.

Just my two cents.

Also, about that Spider-Man reboot... I trust that director but I doubt that any actor can successfully replicate MacGuire's performance. Points to anyone who can beat MJ though. 2012 is going to be packed with these movies, and Sony needs to make that one great in order to win.

15. TanookiSuit

United States
    The PS4 R&D'n is standard fare for all them. As soon as Wii was out there R&D was cooking up a successor, they all do that and it's nothing new. But, there are a lot of things we never see or hear from and only one will become the true 'next system.' My point was that work they had been doing for the next wave was put on hold due to cash flow problems. As far as a PSP2 I imagine they'd probably still stick with the UMD as they learned the hard way how much they pissed people off with the Go and it's limited library and overpriced crap seeing as you can get new/used UMDs all over for less. The problem isn't the UMD itself it's the shitty drive they spec'd it out to be. With a faster drive speed, more cache, and more(and faster) RAM to buffer stuff into games could fly on that sucker.

Like I said if I hear anything about a psp2 coming back from the oh hold ashes I'll say something.

16. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Like how the DS has been doing so far?

17. SFenton
    OP

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    The DS prints money in such a way that it's catered to kids and adults alike, but the hardcore gamers would likely be forced to give the PSP2 a look if it could play PS2 games. Even if the 3DS could play GC games; there's just so many more "mature" games on the PS2 that even if they just wanted a PS2 on-the-go they'd pretty much need a PSP2.

18. SFenton
    OP

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
  19. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Look at all the bullet points in that article that don't have sources and mentally draw a line through them. The rest chock up to speculation.

At this point it's futile to guess....but if it is announced at E3 then it's Sony admitting that the Go is doomed.

20. SFenton
    OP

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    True. Although the idea that it may be a TGS reveal seems to be consistent.