Hardware PSP Turns off when unplugged. Please help.

PhPmayan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hello there! :) :D

I have a problem with my PSP, the problem is when i plug the PSP to its charger it works, but when its unplugged it turns off immediately, I bought a new battery and its still didn't fixed. (I still have my original battery). It was working perfectly fine a while ago but now its annoying that if i want to play with it i need to plug it into its charger. :angry:

So please, if you guys can give me a solution on how to fix this that would help so much! i really want to play it again like before. :lol::lol:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What model of PSP? 1000, 2000, 3000, street...? It might change either a diagnostic procedure or means of fixing things.

Do you have another PSP you can charge the battery, and possibly the original, up in?

It sounds like there is some kind of fault somewhere along the line with the charge circuit but best to eliminate other options (like dodgy battery contacts). I have not heard of much going wrong with a charging circuit on the PSP but it is hardly an unknown.

I should also ask if the new battery a good one? If it is a Chinese cheapy you might have replaced one bad battery with another, and even if it is a good version/brand/original if it has sat in a packet for maybe a decade or more then it too could be nice and dead.

PhPmayan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
What model of PSP? 1000, 2000, 3000, street...? It might change either a diagnostic procedure or means of fixing things.

Do you have another PSP you can charge the battery, and possibly the original, up in?

It sounds like there is some kind of fault somewhere along the line with the charge circuit but best to eliminate other options (like dodgy battery contacts). I have not heard of much going wrong with a charging circuit on the PSP but it is hardly an unknown.

I should also ask if the new battery a good one? If it is a Chinese cheapy you might have replaced one bad battery with another, and even if it is a good version/brand/original if it has sat in a packet for maybe a decade or more then it too could be nice and dead.

My PSP model is 3004 PB, And no, i don't have another PSP to test it. And i think that the new battery is a good one, i ordered it from the internet.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The main symptom here is that the PSP, shouldn't turn out -if- the battery is working fine.
You have replaced the battery, but have you assured it works properly? (Even if its a new one bought from internet).
What happens on the PSP (visually I mean), when you try to recharge the old battery on the PSP, and what happens when done with the new one?
Do you have a multimeter at hand?

PhPmayan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
The main symptom here is that the PSP, shouldn't turn out -if- the battery is working fine.
You have replaced the battery, but have you assured it works properly?
What happens on the PSP (visually I mean), when you try to recharge the old battery on the PSP, and what happens when done with the new one?
Do you have a multimeter at hand?

I'm pretty sure that its working properly, Nothing happens visually on the PSP (blackscreen or something...) and i don't have a multimeter in hand.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm pretty sure that its working properly, Nothing happens visually on the PSP (blackscreen or something...) and i don't have a multimeter in hand.

This resumes it all, sadly.

The PSP's charging LED must turn on when the battery is put on charge, even for a blink of an eye. Else, it's a very bad symptom.

Without a multimeter you can't test further, without going thru guessing things.

PhPmayan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
This resumes it all, sadly.

The PSP's charging LED must turn on when the battery is put on charge, even for a blink of an eye. Else, it's a very bad symptom.

Without a multimeter you can't test further, without going thru guessing things.

WAIT! the LED turns on when i charge it! i didn't understand a lot from what you said before lol

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
WAIT! the LED turns on when i charge it! i didn't understand a lot from what you said before lol

Then you didn't read it carefully...

We can assume the charging port is OK.

Is the battery connector in good condition, not broken or desoldered? Yes, you need to take apart the PSP's case to check the main board.

You really should try and get a multimeter on this point, or you won't be able to go any further.

PhPmayan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Then you didn't read it carefully...

We can assume the charging port is OK.

Is the battery connector in good condition, not broken or desoldered? Yes, you need to take apart the PSP's case to check the main board.

You really should try and get a multimeter on this point, or you won't be able to go any further.

What do i need to check exactly with the multimeter?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What do i need to check exactly with the multimeter?
Any number of things to check.

1) The voltage on the battery, or indeed batteries. I don't know what exact chemistry they use right now to tell you what is charged, discharged and deep discharge (harder to recover from, if it is possible at all)
2) That there is continuity between the battery terminals and some choice points on the board.
3) That when powered that some voltage is present at the battery terminals to help charge it up.

and if 2) or 3) is not doing what it should then checking various components all the way back down the line to either the charge controller, or if the batteries have management then whatever the power jack ends up feeding into.

Reactions: MrCokeacola

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong