Hacking [PSP] (POLL) New PSP Homebrew game project!

What game should be remade in Quake for PSP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi everyone,

In my PSP discord recently, I decided I would make a new PSP game on the Quake engine in the vein of Kurok, Counter Strike Portable or Halo Revamped (and hopefully get some community map-makers/devs involved). There has been a poll running for 12 hours already, but I want your input on what the game should be. The vote as of writing is
- 11 votes for GoldenEye
- 12 votes for Perfect Dark
- 6 votes for Timesplitters

UPDATE: 4 hours later, it is 13-13-5. This thread might decide it!

UPDATE 2: Vote finished, and combined with server results... it's a draw! GoldenEye and PD won server and GBAtemp polls respectively, by one vote each way, so it's a tie. You can join the server here: https://discord.gg/bePrj9W

Any votes collected in this poll will be added to the final result. Thank you, and long live the PSP!

UPDATE 3: We're making both GoldenEye AND Perfect Dark in Quake for PSP! Anyone interested is free to join in and help out, and ideally join the server above to communicate our plans.

Last edited by TheMrIron2,

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hey guys, poll will be ending in just under an hour. I have compiled some mockup art for the two games which are neck and neck right now to build up some anticipation :D

snap001.png
snap227.png

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I'd actually love to do both, to be honest; unfortunately, I am effectively the only person working on it, and this is also my first time undertaking such a large project solo. I'd love some more helping hands and if we could get a bunch of people on board, I'd love to be involved in making both games - but right now it just doesn't look like there's enough people interested.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

i'd love to help with perfect dark, but i know nothing of anything so i would be of no help sadly

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The "help" involved would involve no programming experience; this would just be making maps in TrenchBroom for Quake. You could learn the basics from the online resources floating around and from there we'll figure it out, heh.

Since people are showing interest and there is no rule against advertising, I'll add the link to my PSP Discord to the OP where we discuss PSP homebrew dev and stuff like that. I appreciate the interest!

Shame that no one try to port Daedalus to Vita - messing with PSP is pointless

No, it isn't pointless - there's a reason the project began there. The PSP is absolutely capable of emulating many N64 games at full speed - indeed, right now, Aerogauge is full speed with almost no issue *with* sound for example - and Mario 64 is full speed without sound.

I would argue a Vita port would be rather useless as the work required would be a prime example of diminishing returns; the PSP shares a very similar MIPS processor to the N64 (and PSP has two of them, people often forget) and the Vita's ARM chip would be sufficient, but it wouldn't excel and you would still get a perfectly okay experience via Adrenaline. It would probably be more efficient to take Daedalus and find a way to interact with the Vita hardware via Adrenaline as the MIPS core already has an emulator set up, but the only benefit would really be in better sound emulation as it's very difficult to multi-thread emulation.

Also, could you please cut down on the entitlement? Vita users already have a serviceable N64 emulator and we are working on adjusting it to be more Vita-friendly; a new N64 emulator written for Vita would be tons of effort to port and hardware-accelerate/optimize, and to call our efforts pointless when we are the ones who know what we're doing and are doing the best with what we have is a little rude, don't you think?

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It's a win for Perfect Dark by 1 vote! However, our server voted and GoldenEye won by one vote! I think we'll have to make both at this rate; anyone interested in helping out?

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The "help" involved would involve no programming experience; this would just be making maps in TrenchBroom for Quake. You could learn the basics from the online resources floating around and from there we'll figure it out, heh.

Since people are showing interest and there is no rule against advertising, I'll add the link to my PSP Discord to the OP where we discuss PSP homebrew dev and stuff like that. I appreciate the interest!

No, it isn't pointless - there's a reason the project began there. The PSP is absolutely capable of emulating many N64 games at full speed - indeed, right now, Aerogauge is full speed with almost no issue *with* sound for example - and Mario 64 is full speed without sound.

I would argue a Vita port would be rather useless as the work required would be a prime example of diminishing returns; the PSP shares a very similar MIPS processor to the N64 (and PSP has two of them, people often forget) and the Vita's ARM chip would be sufficient, but it wouldn't excel and you would still get a perfectly okay experience via Adrenaline. It would probably be more efficient to take Daedalus and find a way to interact with the Vita hardware via Adrenaline as the MIPS core already has an emulator set up, but the only benefit would really be in better sound emulation as it's very difficult to multi-thread emulation.

Also, could you please cut down on the entitlement? Vita users already have a serviceable N64 emulator and we are working on adjusting it to be more Vita-friendly; a new N64 emulator written for Vita would be tons of effort to port and hardware-accelerate/optimize, and to call our efforts pointless when we are the ones who know what we're doing and are doing the best with what we have is a little rude, don't you think?

Not really my PSP's mostly collecting dust as part of my collection... I was not rude it is my optinion <- for now developing for dead ecosystem is pointless as example... if someone stubbornly try to port Mario to calculator. Last impressive thing on PSP was God Of War.

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Not really my PSP's mostly collecting dust as part of my collection... I was not rude it is my optinion <- for now developing for dead ecosystem is pointless as example... if someone stubbornly try to port Mario to calculator. Last impressive thing on PSP was God Of War.

Why does it matter if the ecosystem is dead or not? Homebrew programs like Daedalus are all about making an older device more useful again. The emulator performs very well in cases and I have no doubt we will be able to improve that. It would make no sense to throw away everything we've made just to spend months to write a new emulator for Vita - the thing is, Vita is also a dead ecosystem by now, and as you can see nobody has seen enough reason to port a N64 emulator as Daedalus exists. The people who know how to make these things know why; it's not worth it. Hate to disappoint.

Also, calling a system dead is often subjective. The PSP still has active players and hackers, so that's not dead to me.

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why does it matter if the ecosystem is dead or not? Homebrew programs like Daedalus are all about making an older device more useful again. The emulator performs very well in cases and I have no doubt we will be able to improve that. It would make no sense to throw away everything we've made just to spend months to write a new emulator for Vita - the thing is, Vita is also a dead ecosystem by now, and as you can see nobody has seen enough reason to port a N64 emulator as Daedalus exists. The people who know how to make these things know why; it's not worth it. Hate to disappoint.

Also, calling a system dead is often subjective. The PSP still has active players and hackers, so that's not dead to me.

On what matter Daedalus makes it usefull since as I remember most playable game was Mario Kart... In my opinin better is make useful n64 emulator that could do better work and use better internals than messing with Daedealus in know way? So what are you gole gain 1-2 FPS? PSP is redundant and have years of glory behind.

Last edited by wiewiec,

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
On what matter Daedalus makes it usefull since as I remember most playable game was Mario Kart... In my opinin better is make useful n64 emulator that could do better work and use better internals than messing with Daedealus in know way? So what are you gole gain 1-2 FPS? PSP is redundant and have years of glory behind.

Now you're just being ignorant. I'd appreciate if you could stop taking up this thread with such discussion now. The PSP is not redundant and if you really believe that I'm happy to break Daedalus outright on Vita because it is so "worthless". If you want to put in the months of effort into a Vita N64 emulator, by all means, but Daedalus is clearly useful and playable because none of the Vita programmers have bothered.

Anyway, congratulations to all that voted, and we are making both games hand in hand! We have a preview scene here to demonstrate the textures and a simple scene made by our own experienced map-maker Diema/darkhaven3:
unknown.png

For the first map or two of Perfect Dark Reloaded, Diema will probably be handling the base map making situation while I do the lighting and we'll get one more person to do sound etc. I can't say when we'll get things playable or completed, and we are going to be focusing on multiplayer first and foremost right now, but I'll update this thread as progress is made.

Augsss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Is this going to work with the psvitas dual analog sticks?
Also goodluck with the project

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Very happy to announce that since publicising this project, we've had numerous new people come forward. Two of these people actually work/worked on Nazi Zombies Portable, a PSP remake of Nazi Zombies in Quake! Their portfolios are really incredible and I'm sure they'll be an invaluable addition to our team, as we simply get more and more excited about this project. I'll let their work speak for itself: check out this and this.

Update on Goldeneye: I've been working on remaking "Stack", the multiplayer map, but this might not even be necessary; we found a HL1 GoldenEye mod which has lots of recreated levels and models! We could simply reuse some of these assets and save a tremendous amount of time, as Goldsource and Quake are almost intercompatible.

Update on Perfect Dark: Slower progress here, because this is more uncharted territory, but steady. We've got iyenal, who made Gen7 (an all new homebrew game engine) as well as some previous experience with UI and texture work, and MotoLegacy is working on the first mission in dataDyne. Diema has been working on textures for this level as well and I'm very excited to show you all the final product when it's ready.

If anyone is interested in helping out or closely keeping track, feel free to join our server linked in the OP; otherwise, I'll deliver irregular updates here. Thanks for your interest!

Edit: one more thing, could an admin or mod change the thread title to "GoldenEye/Perfect Dark PSP discussion and updates" or something along those lines?

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Big update on this project. We are discontinuing Goldeneye.

"Why?"
Because we want to focus on Perfect Dark. We want to deliver one great finished product, not two unpolished releases. Besides, PD needs a good remake for PC and other platforms more urgently than GoldenEye.

"That sucks. No more Goldeneye I guess."
Not quite, actually. Perfect Dark has 8 "classic" weapons and 3 "classic" maps returning from Goldeneye, so even though this is a Perfect Dark project, you'll still be able to get your Goldeneye fix! Who knows, maybe a Goldeneye map pack will be released down the line too? ;)

I'm also considering locking this thread and starting a new one to mark the fact that we are serious about this project now and it's just getting started now, past the poll stages. Hope you guys don't mind about GE too much, it's just the direction that works best for all of us.

Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Scratch n sniff +1