Hacking Official Perfect Dark: Reloaded (PSP/PC) thread

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
In a previous thread, I set up a poll and we decided to remake GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark for PSP. However, we decided that we should focus on PD, as it has GoldenEye content in multiplayer and a wider feature set - and trying to do two projects at once was splitting the team. The discord server is here: https://discord.gg/bePrj9W

Some more information about the game: it'll target 60FPS at 333MHz mode on the PSP, but we will give the option to lock to 30FPS as some of the most demanding maps might struggle. We also want to have a "hi-res mode" when your PSP is connected to a TV, setting the game's resolution to 480p. It'll have a full singleplayer campaign and a multiplayer mode with our own remade maps from the original game. If you want to find out more, check out our GitHub page.

If you weren't aware, Perfect Dark had 8 GoldenEye weapons and 3 maps as "classic" multiplayer items/maps. One of them was the famous GoldenEye Facility, renamed to "Felicity" in Perfect Dark. While textures and models are placeholders, here's a few pictures from what I have done so far to get everyone excited. Here's to the PSP! Any questions?
Base_Profile_Screenshot_2018.11.24_-_19.07.19.01.png

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2018.11.24_-_19.11.03.99.png

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2018.11.24_-_19.10.47.09.png

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2018.11.24_-_14.33.57.46.png

Last edited by TheMrIron2,

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
We have some big news! An abandoned work in progress Half Life mod featuring Perfect Dark assets, made about 13 years ago, has been rediscovered and we have been able to use these converted models in Perfect Dark reloaded! Massive shout-out to the original author of this mod, "iamdraco", though I suspect he is gone from the internet for good. This has massively accelerated our progress on Perfect Dark Reloaded; we now have 3 new maps, multiple new weapons and more! Here's a pic to demonstrate.

fte-20181128173201-0.png

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Wow! This looks really nice! Congratulations!:) Is this going to be "PSP only" because of the MIPS architecture?

Thanks, we're delighted with how things are shaping up with these new assets.

The reason PSP is the target (aside from PC, because anything flies there) is because PSP has a very developed Quake engine port with a big mod history (see Kurok, Counter Strike Portable, Nazi Zombies Portable...), it's very cheap/accessible nowadays, and on top of that making it for PSP allows it to be run on a PSP, a TV, a PS Vita or even something quite exotic thanks to PPSSPP's excellent speed and compatibility. It's the most compatible console we could have chosen.

Some scripting will rely on the engine source port available on PSP. The PSP engine is based on FitzQuake for PC, so it's easily transferrable, but other than a one off Kurok 3DS port (which isn't flexible or designed to load other mods) it hasn't come to any other console. So there's that. It's nothing too technical :D

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Nice work!
Are you using the goldeneye setup editor to convert maps/models? It's extremely easy to rip stuff from the ROM.

We've been looking into it. I didn't have much success when I first tried, but one member of our team - Python/Dust2 - is looking into it. If you're able to help us out on that front, we could use it :D

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

We're glad you're interested. It's great this project has gathered so much traction and is a great confidence boost for us.

Reactions: Antnommer

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(a throwback to the 1990s, golden eye/perfect dark/then, timesplitters/red faction 2 (not 1)

Point being, there a good trend of, "jerky movements", and missing collision hits, so you would really have to expend twice the amount of ammo for a single enemy. the hits would not register, during certain points in the animation.

that's apart of the charm, specifically. and today, everyone is spoon fed accuracy and realism, and they forgot about the "fun factor" which often means exaggeration............the games were designed that way.

this remake has to live up to the standard at that time, of the fun factor. otherwise what is the point, right? glad you agreed.

the "perfect dark remakes", I guess they missed the point right? but "perfect dark" and the quality PS2 titles, and other stuff, this generation's games can't compete. they are poor on entertainment and originality, very much too agenda driven.

(waiting for nintendo 64 classic, but that won't happen?) actually, I really like this project, hope it works on the vita!

Reactions: TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
(a throwback to the 1990s, golden eye/perfect dark/then, timesplitters/red faction 2 (not 1)

Point being, there a good trend of, "jerky movements", and missing collision hits, so you would really have to expend twice the amount of ammo for a single enemy. the hits would not register, during certain points in the animation.

that's apart of the charm, specifically. and today, everyone is spoon fed accuracy and realism, and they forgot about the "fun factor" which often means exaggeration............the games were designed that way.

this remake has to live up to the standard at that time, of the fun factor. otherwise what is the point, right? glad you agreed.

the "perfect dark remakes", I guess they missed the point right? but "perfect dark" and the quality PS2 titles, and other stuff, this generation's games can't compete. they are poor on entertainment and originality, very much too agenda driven.

(waiting for nintendo 64 classic, but that won't happen?) actually, I really like this project, hope it works on the vita!
It will work on Vita, yes, and down the line we plan to set up a Vita port. But we want to keep the workload minimal right now.

Reactions: cvskid

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hey GBAtemp, it's been a while, but just throwing it out there that this project isn't dead yet and has made progress. ;)
There are still some textures issues that will inevitably take a while to sort out, because the map editor does not correctly represent the texture scale as it appears in-game making it very trial and error, but here are some pics from my old hand-made Felicity remake - now using original textures, with no Quake palette limitations!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over