PSP Pokemon? [Discussion]

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Joel16, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Joel16
    OP

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Hi, I know this is late but I had an idea a while ago about creating a native pokemon game for psp with graphics being similar to the NDS's. I'm wondering if anyone would support/be interested in this. I have the skills, but I don't have the motivation to do it. Also I'm not too good with storylines and stuff so if anyone would be willing to help I'd take up the job. My plan if I do get motivated enough is to create a pokemon rom similar to some great pokemon hacks like say, pokemon glazed that can be easily modified or ported over to other devices. If all goes well this can also be ported over to the vita's rejuvenate hack. So yeah, let me know your thoughts.

PS. If people are still working on GBA hacks and stuff I don't see why this would be so bad either. I mean you could play on PPSSPP if you don't own a psp.

Last edited by Joel16, Jul 4, 2015
  2. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    That would be awesome. i would love a pokemon red/blue/yellow remake with ds style graphics.

Last edited by reprep, Jul 4, 2015
    Joel16 likes this.
  3. Epultia

Epultia Banned

Banned
    Jun 30, 2015
    United States
    Unova
    Why not PS Vita

4. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    I support this! I was actually wondering if someone would do this :D

Joel16 likes this.
  5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    yet another gen 1 remake?

all you genwoners are aways so creative /sarcasm, the first games are over-rated and yes it was my first game, i played it, i loved it. i still play them from time to time but you are all stuck on nostalgia value and childhood stuff...

there are already enough remakes, Silver Blue being one of them, and it is not that hard to make if you use SS\HG as a base..

@Joel16
    the story can be a basic one, the pokemon story is usually the same one and it doesn't require much... your problem is to have ideas to write dialog for the 391+ NPC\characters on the game

focus on the map\areas (after you made sure the engine\game runs well without major glitches)
    i would love if you had to go through kanto, johto and hoenn
    i loved the concept of gen 2, post game you go to the previous game town and got a new "world" to explore

Last edited by migles, Jul 4, 2015
    Joel16 and Lycanroc like this.
  6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Joel16 likes this.
  7. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    Hm thanks for the idea but I didn't like those versions too much. Besides I wouldn't wanna stick to the same names given by nitendo. You know how they are with their copyrighted material. I'll probably get sued over it just like those guys who were recreating mario 64. Thanks for the support though :)

Because I don't own one Lol. I'm not the kind of guy who relies on online testers, so yeah. I'm sure it could be ported over if someone's that interested.

Thanks, I think have enough motivation to get it started :)

Yeah that's the something I want to do once everything's working as it should but its gonna take a long while if I'm on my own. Would be nice to have a team.

That looks quite old Lol. Thanks for the references but I'd rather start from scratch myself. When I code things myself I'd be mostly aware of everything like from the back of my hand, so yeah.

Anyways thanks everyone for your support. I did some sort of work last year for a homebrew like this. So once I find that, I can sort of use it as a base and work my way from there. You'll see a new thread eventually about my progress with screenshots and other information. If anyone would be like to be part of a team to speed up progress let me know. PS. You don't have to be a coder to be a part of the team. If you're a guy good with graphics or storylines, I could use that ha-ha.

8. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I think this is actually the third project I've seen where someone wants to make a Pokemon game for PSP. Neither of the previous ones were done, but I don't think it's unrealistic. It will still take a lot of time, though. You could probably look at the other two projects as an idea for a starting point for the back-end. I don't really have any interest in Pokemon, but I hope it goes well for you.

Joel16 likes this.
  9. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    Obviously it'd be a hack/homebrew project to be seen on a PS vita or PSP.

What i'd love is a collectable monster game on something that isn't nintendo. I'd love something 'like' pokemon, but on the PS Vita.

10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    There was one
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Kingdom:_Jewel_Summoner

11. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too quickly, because I won't be working on this efficenly until I can recruit a team. Like I said I'm not too good with storylines or graphics. I mean I'm not too bad at it but I'm not good at it either Lol. It would be nice if someone can provide me sprites for trainers and maps. Don't worry about pokemon sprites, those are all over the net.
    Edit: The main trainer sprite is not the concern. I've already got that covered.

Last edited by Joel16, Jul 4, 2015
  12. Hargrun

Hargrun Support the arts! (The games, silly.)

May 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
  13. Joel16
    OP

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    So yeah is anyone interested in contributing? If we get enough support, and feedback I'll guarantee we can make a great game out of this. I know there were quite some people who were interested in doing this, and have done somethings but never finished or came close to finishing. Anyways I found my super old base that I had for an RPG game that I was *kinda* working on. Also I've got some algorithms being cooked up in my brain to access the bags, and poke-fights and shit so yeah. If you guys want to have an 'idea' about the graphics I can post a super mega ultra early screenshot of what I've done so far lol.
    PS. I'll be using the Pokemon X/Y main character's sprites.