Gaming PSP Memory Sticks

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking into a new Memory stick for my PSP as the current one that came with the system is way too small for my purposes only being able to hold a maximum of 2 decent single disk PSP games. I don't know a whole lot aboiut memory sticks though and I've been told that slowdown occurs on the larger sticks.

I was thinking about getting either an 8GB or 16GB memory stick and have found a few on eBay for about £15. I know there are different models of memory sticks such as Mark 2 memory sticks and some which claim to be extremely high speed (Ultra II or something like that) but I don't know whther the PSP system can access these higher speeds or whether its worth it anyway.

So far this is the best price I've found as its coming from Ireland meaning a relatively fast delivery (but it is Xmas)

Also for anybody wanting a laugh, take a look at this very optimistic seller of a 32gb card Here

shito

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i have a 4gb mark2 and really is faster than a standard 2gb, if you want a high speed memory stick i recommend you the pro hg duo it will cost you a bit more but is the fastest you can find i belive.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've received my 8 GB one from dealextreme yesterday. No slowdowns in games but the loading time in xmb takes a bit longer then my original 2gb but for the price its okay:)

xxxacexxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
watch wot ure buying i am willing to bet the card your interested in buying is a fake. especially at that price. take a look on the web see wot real sony ones are selling for at least double that. just be careful xxxacexxx

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, but 16gb for £15 is epic and I'm trying to keep under £20 if possible. 8gb should be enough for my purposes but 16gb would allow me to fit most of my PS1 collection onto my PSP alongside a few PSP games.

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I just recently upgraded my PSP Memory Stick to a PhotoFast CR 5400 with two 8GB MicroSDs in it. (Basically creates a RAID array on the two SDs)

While the load times are a bit slow, I imagine this is also the case for any normal 16GB stick, but even then, they're not horrible. (Only noticeable one is when my PSP boots up and loads the custom theme)

Totally worth the cash, I think.
wink.gif

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen them around and the problem is that once I've spent £5 on that I then have to get the 2 MicroSD cards so in the long run its probably more expensive. I also wasn't sure as to how well they actually worked.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A bit of a bump I know but better than a whole new topic.

It seems the cheapest option is to buy a Photofast with 2 8gb MicroSDs bundled in with it which I can find on eBay for about £25

Any problems with lag or corruption with them at all?

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you stick the microsd in there, and don't take them out ever...You'll be fine for the most part. I actaully get more corruption when I used the card reader on the front of my pc with a legit Sony MS.

Personally I find the photofast to be just as reliable as the legit Sony MS.

As far as the speed goes, I do not have any issues. All fake MS do not support magicgate, and that can slow down the xmb a little if you use it for videos, or music. Its not a huge slow down, but it is there. However you can use irshell to patch out the magicgate check. That does fix the minor menu lag. Only problem is, there is no offical irshell for the newest gen firmwares. So you'll have to wait for that one.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a legit 1gb memory stick I can use for videos if I want so this one will be mainly games. I shall try ordering the thing once I get more money on my card and if this damned snow shifts soon (which it apparently won't)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can get the Sony 32 GB pro duo M2 memory stick for the cost of the adapter providing you don't have 2 16 GB microSD cards (yes they are available now), but if you do have 2 of the cards just get the adapter off ebay for 5-10 dollars.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Where are you getting that figure from?

M2 memory sticks at 16gb are £45 on amazon so a 32gb one will be bigger.

I don't have many MicroSD cards lying around, only 1 2gb one that is being used in my supercard.

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
My photofast has a tendency not to register in the PSP, and I usually have to take it out a few times until it reads. It gets pretty annoying to do constantly, and also means if turn the PSP off I have to completely shut it down, or go out to the home menu. I tend to use my Sony Pro Duo day to day, and take the Photofast for long journeys (usually just to watch movies from).

So, now that you have finished hearing my problems, I will get to my point- it will be very difficult for you to find a better size memory card for the price, but the card could have issues with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy