Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an interesting note, I was able to access my previous save going into the new patch. The trippy thing is that monsters you gained previous to the patch will still be in Japanese, while yes, everyone now on the field is in English. A bit strange, but I guess it's definitely more set outright as being something decided on the map.

I think the next thing I'd want translated is the skills/abilities that result when you level up characters stats. That's the one thing I tend to be unable to really understand since they go by quickly for me. Other than that, the major things left would be the story/dialogue, monster training, dark world store, and the store survey, right? Other than the whole Demon Lord Prier chapter, of course, and extra characters dialogue.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot about those skills. Yea it would be hard to play the game without them. I will look for them this week and hopefully find them this weekend. The survey in rosenqueen store for some reason is in start_jp.LZS and I have not found where it is yet.

-ChepChep

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those skills were sorta like the unique factor to La Pucelle, but also sorta flash by without you realizing you got them when you level up, so understandable if it slipped your mind. Thanks for saying you'll look for them, though!

Weird, but I guess that makes me thankful that I have a translation of the survey, since there's a question that can totally screw you if you don't know what you're getting into (since it increases the enemy levels).

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have created two new scripts to process the SCRIPTPACK.DAT file.

One is called NISPack_Unpack_v1.py and the other is NISPack_Pack_v1.py.
http://www.tarranoth.com/LPR/NISPack_Unpack_v1.py
http://www.tarranoth.com/LPR/NISPack_Pack_v1.py

These scripts will pack and unpack this file so that we can process the script and talking text.

Here is the code in the spoiler tags for both.

NISPack_Unpack_v1.py
######################################################################
# NISPack_UnPack_v1.py
# Built to unpack files in NISPack dat format for La Pucelle: Ragnaraok [JPN]
# Run with python 2.7
# Last Update: 09/25/2013

import os, sys, struct, time

dTestTime = 0.0
dStartTime = time.time()

datfname = 'SCRIPTPACK.DAT' # hardcoded for now
headerName = 'SCRIPTPACK_header.dat'

datfile = open(datfname, 'rb')

scriptdir = os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0])
if scriptdir != '': os.chdir(scriptdir) # else we're started from Python console

try:
datfile = open(datfname, 'rb')
except IOError:
print "Extraction aborted: no SCRIPTPACK.dat file in the current directory"
exit()

datfile.seek(0,2)
endfile = datfile.tell()
foffset = 624
fheaderoffset = 2048

datfile.seek(16)
fentries = list()

for i in range(32):
fname = datfile.read(32).strip('\x00')
fstart = struct.unpack('I', datfile.read(4))[0]
datfile.read(8)
fentries.append([fname, fstart])

for i in range(31):
fend = fentries[i+1][1]
fentries.append(fend)

fentries[31].append(int(endfile))

datfile.read(foffset)

dumpdir = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(datfname))[0]
dumpdir = os.path.join(scriptdir, dumpdir)
try:
os.mkdir(dumpdir)
except WindowsError: pass
os.chdir(dumpdir)

for fentry in fentries:
fname, fstart, fend = fentry
print os.path.join(dumpdir, fname)
dumpfile = open(fname, 'wb')
dumpfile.write(datfile.read(fend - datfile.tell()))
dumpfile.close()

# Write header file for packing
datfile.seek(0)
headerFile = os.path.join(dumpdir, headerName)
headerDump = open(headerFile, 'wb')
headerDump.write(datfile.read(fheaderoffset))
headerDump.close()
datfile.close()

dTestTime = time.time() - dStartTime
print
print "Total Test Time = %.3f sec" % dTestTime

NISPack_Pack_v1.py
########################################################################
# NISPack_Pack_v1.py
# Built to pack files in NISPack dat format for La Pucelle: Ragnaraok [JPN]
# Run with python 2.7
# Last Update: 09/25/2013

import math
import struct
import time
import copy
import os

dTestTime = 0.0
dStartTime = time.time()

fileName = 'SCRIPTPACK/SCRIPTPACK_header.dat'
fileName1 = 'SCRIPTPACK.DAT'
fileDir = 'SCRIPTPACK/'

# Open file to pack
f = open(fileName, 'rb')
f1 = open(fileName1, 'w+b')

foffset = 2048

f.seek(16)
fentries = list()

for i in range(32):
fname = f.read(32).strip('\x00')
f.read(12)
fentries.append(fname)

f.seek(0)
f1.write(f.read(foffset))

for fentry in fentries:
fname = os.path.join(fileDir, fentry)
print fname
dumpfile = open(fname, 'rb')
dumpfile.seek(0,2)
byteRead = dumpfile.tell()
dumpfile.seek(0)
f1.write(dumpfile.read(byteRead))
dumpfile.close()

f.close()
f1.close()

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linka,

I have checked everywhere I can think of in LPR iso and I can only find one place for skills being learned and I have translated them. Maybe it has to deal with not starting over with the new patch? I will keep looking but until I see the behavior it will be hard for me to find.

I am fixing the store surveys since you really need them to play the game. The text is hidden away in an extra script file in a random place. No idea why it was not put into the eboot.bin like the rest of rosenqueen store.

-ChepChep

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, nope, I just tried, and it still comes up as Japanese for me, even after starting a new file. Other things are in English other than a couple locations names (like back to world map is still in Japanese, too), so I dunno what it is.

For the record, the skill I got should be Tiny Power in the NA version.

zd9ZLuj.png

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linka,

That screen shot is exactly what I need. I can search for the japanese and find there the NIS programmers hid those skills.

Reactions: Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, good! I'm glad taking a picture helped. I was trying to figure what you meant by behavior, so I'm glad I managed to get it right there! Looking forward to results!

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found the spot in the JPN version of LPR and also the PS2 version. Of course its in a file called skills.dat. Should have been obvious.

I am just about done with the translation of these skills. I am encrypting it now to LZS format and may have a release tonight with translation of surveys in Rosenqueen and the skills.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another update for LPR. I have translated the survey questions in Rosenqueen and also translated all of the skills that Linka was talking about.

For this update you need both the eboot and start_jp.lzs

LPR_translation_v0.0.6 (Rosenqueen Survey and More Skills)
1) Acquire PSP La Pucelle Ragnarok ISO
2) Download EBOOT.BIN - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/EBOOT.BIN
3) Download START_JP.LZS - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/START_JP.LZS
4) Backup ISO, EBOOT.BIN and START_JP.LZS
5) Extract files from LPR ISO using UMDGen
6) Replace EBOOT.BIN in \PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\ with the downloaded EBOOT.BIN
7) Replace START_JP.LZS in \PSP_GAME\USRDIR\ with the downloaded START_JP.LZS
8) Create a new LPR ISO with UMDGen
9) Either use a PSP emulator or download to PSP and enjoy

Note: You must have CFW in order to play the translated ISO on a PSP​
I plan to tackle eboot.bin. I have been slowly translating things that I find in game I want to translate. I need to just go through the entire file and translate everything. I hate the file since they have left little white space which makes it a challenge to fit the english translation. The other files are "easy" since it mostly just typing and things mostly fit.​

Reactions: kit13 and Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, uh, this is weird, but it's still not translating for me. And this is from a new file, too. This time I'm taking it from the actual status screen. Maybe you found something different instead.

And further investigation says that the store surveys are still in Japanese too. I think I need to fiddle with things.

Update: Deleted older patched files, started a new file. Surveys still in Japanese. Even copied and deleted the original file to see if it was causing conflicts with the program and even used a completely clean file, and that wasn't the case. Redownloaded your files too to even make sure. Can someone else check too and see if things translated for them?

KGm0Amx.png

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like I uploaded the wrong file last night. It has been fixed and it should work now.

I can confirm it works on my psp.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! That would explain it.

Yeah, now it works. There's some definite translation issues but for now it's understandable what it's going for, and that's the priority before any formatting. Thank you!

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My goal is just to make things playable and there are some issue I keep running into. At some point I want to fix all the names since I had the double length letters I used. I am still amazed how playable the battle system is now. I had not tried to get past the first battle until today.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, yeah, it's sorta amazing what seeing things in your native language does. Considering my previous attempts to play Ragnarok always involved a file of Japanese translations being open at the same time, this takes a lot off of my mind.

Especially since after you get even a taste of the purification system in Ragnarok, and the fact that you can speed up the game, you never want to go back to the original game.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think one of the biggest complaints about La Pucelle Ps2 version was how long battles took. I tried the PS2 version to get some translation material and battles were just painful. I doubt I will ever polish everything in this game like some translation group do.

We need more people working on PSP translations since there are many excellent games that never made it outside Japan. Its kinda disappointing how few project there are.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really true. Sadly, the PSP did not have the best of markets over here, and that's why things were left untranslated. Though while La Pucelle Ragnarok at least had some feeling of "it wouldn't have been worth it to pay for the rights/having to revoice from actors were didn't have" for NISA, it's still weird that they did Phantom Brave Portable and not Makai Kingdom Portable.

This isn't even counting games like Criminal Girls (which at least is getting a Vita port), Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP (which was apparently an impossibility for Atlus USA to do), games like .hack//LINK, 7th Dragon, Digimon Adventure and Re-Digitize, Type-0, Grand Knights History, Valkyrie Chronicles 3, Tag Force 6... heck, most of those are RPGs! There's a lot of PSP RPGs, unique ones too, that we didn't get to have access to. And that's so weird.

But I'm glad at least you're putting in the effort on this, and I'm sad I don't really understand how it all works to really help (even if it's only for such a thing as proofreading.)

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proof reading and just trying the patch is a big help. I will miss may stupid things I need people to report issue back so I can fix them. 99% of the issues will be typos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol