Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe Chep tried to see how the DLC would interact with LP:R, so he already knows that it'll completely break the game. Also, there's still the point of it being a legality issue-- some of the DLC is actually pay-for, after all, and that would get people into a lot of trouble, if they included it. Really, it's a done and said thing: there will be no translating of the DLC for this. I'm sure Chep wants to cry everytime someone brings it up anyway, despite the note in the first post. XP

This is purely a translation project. What point would there be in changing the gameplay values when there's no need to do that?

JNew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I know this thread hasn't been active in a few months, but I wanted to see if I could throw in a small grammatical correction. I understand that you don't have access to an apostrophe and are using Shift-JIS periods, commas, etc, but there are a few typos I've noticed that should be fixable. I'm not sure what the best way to go about this would be, so if you see this post ChepChep and are interested let me know. I read through a lot of this thread and I am extremely impressed with the technical work. I have a background in computer engineering so I respect how difficult it is to reverse engineer a translation like you have.

Edit: Although unfortunately, reading the double-width story dialogue is really straining my eyes to the point of physical discomfort... not sure if I can get used to it. :(

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JNew,

Feel free to post any typos, grammar mistakes... etc on the board here and I will fix them in the next patch.

Sorry about the fixed width font. Was new to the PSP scene when I did this patch and did not know how to do the assembly hacking to fix it. I am finally learning now but I have no plans to go back and fix the fixed width font. Most of the translation would have to be retyped in by hand and I have no desire to do it again and then bug test it.

-Chep

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The font width didn't bother me, but I understand if it can bother other people.
What bothered me was the missing apostrophe because you always wonder "possession or plural?". Couldn't you edit one of the now unused kanji map to looks like an apostrophe, and use it in the text? it wouldn't look good in your editor, but nice in the game.

Like you said, it would take a lot of work to re-type everything to add missing characters.
what's done is done. It will be for your next project.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan,

I am still amazed I made it through LPR. The game was a tough one to start with looking back now. It had major font issues, size restrictions for the NPC and story files and a very complicated custom compression scene. Fixing the apostrophe would be easy but finding all the locations in the game would be such a pain since the programers for the PSP took the PS2 version and chopped it up into 17 pieces but decided to still leave hanging NPC text all over and its really hard to tell which text is used in which chapter. That is why it took so long to hunt down all the NPC because I could not just translate everything without going over the file size restriction for the NPC/story file because for some reason they used 8 bit pointers and LPR had so much text that you would get overflow errors for the pointers.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if it weren't for the fact that it's all in separate parts like that, you could likely easily convince people to go through the script in parts in order to fix things, but with how it's messed up, it's not very viable.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, I see that it's harder than I thought.
If there's a size restriction, and part of the story is not located in the same file than current chapter's NPC, it's harder to test it without restarting the game multiple times.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan,

Exactly... I had to play through LPR about 8-10 times and also have save files at the start of every chapter. I also did it without cheats which was pretty stupid of me.

If all the NPC were in one file and then story in another or everything combined in one file like the PS2 version, it would be trivial to fix everything. Basically you would have to go through every line and then confirm every thing you changed actually fixed the text in the game. I know I have in many spot accidentally translated text that does not show up in the game.

On the plus side, LPR has some of the riches and huge amount of NPC compared with most games.

If someone else who is in love with this game wants to fix things, I would be more than willing to share my tools and help them do it.

-Chep

Reactions: Linka

Alexeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just logged on to say that I am so happy that this game got translated. I found this project a while back and it was still being worked on and now I just checked out of curiosity and it was done! That's amazing. Thanks to everyone involved.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like LPR just gets no love compare with PKP. It is such a better game and I do not understand why people seem to love PKP more...

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't understand it much either, myself. LPR is not only a better port, but I think it's just a higher quality game in general than Phantom Kingdom (portable). Maybe it's because PKP had the free-movement stuff and has character creation, while La Pucelle was essentially the Disgaea before Disgaea, sans creation/reincarnation?

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only La Pucelle was released before Disgaea in the US. I think it would be more popular. It had the better battle system and story.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the major problem is that La Pucelle got released after Disgaea in the West, because Atlus went with Disgaea, and then Mastiff looked at the relative success of it and went "oh boy we gotta get on that" and released La Pucelle after. But since, mechanically, it's a bit of a step backwards (though I do agree, I love the battle system and story much more in La Pucelle), it was jarring to the audience this was targeting towards. If they had been in order of release, we'd be seeing a bit of a different story.

But yeah, I love how LPR is a lot more compared to say, Disgaea 1 PSP. I have a lot of problems with Disgaea 1 PSP and how it's really aged, and LPR, at the least, not only fixed the most major problems of the early games (slow battles, slow movement, ect.), but it looks a lot better I think, than Disgaea 1 PSP does. Kinda funny, isn't it? Though it seems like they put a lot more effort into LPR's port too, since they DID intend on making more LP games, but... then the financial problems happened. RIP.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know PKP, never seen anything about it (except your translation thread).
I knew La pucelle before you started your project and own the japanese game.

so the love is only on LPR for me :P

I still haven't played Disgaea series, but I'll do one day!

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do definitely recommend the Disgaea series (5 is out today in Japan!!), but Disgaea 1 is incredibly aged compared to the others. If you play it, play it first.

And play the portable versions over the console ones. The portable ones add in things that help speed up the games/add features.

Reactions: Cyan and Randqalan

Warbandit100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Uhm, sorry to bust in without reading all the discussion but, i patched a fresh iso with this new translation and started a new game, then this occurred during chapter 6

Attachments

• strange.jpg
    strange.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 277

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it was a bug on older version of the patch.
You patched your game with the latest version?
maybe he used an old version (without that text fixed) to apply latest changes instead of updating the latest one?

Thanks for reporting.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the only NPC that has garble text like that?

My theory is that this is an older version of the patch was used. I had some bugs in the older versions were if I missed translating a line, it would come up garbled.

If this is truly the latest patch, then I may have missed an NPC. (Not surprise since it took months to track all them down)

Let me know which version you are using.

Again thanks for reporting it.
-Chep

Warbandit100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am indeed using version 1.0.1 of the translation patch, and yes, this is the only NPC in the whole game (both normal story AND Overlord Prier story) that has garble text, but still all the fused items have garble text description, plus when you obtain dark world items inside the dark gates, the description is a bit confused, here is what i mean: the first image is an item i obtained by killing a monster in the dark world; the second one is my first item, the wristband, which i fused with another item by sending a monster to the dark world with the cape guy.

Attachments

• ULJS00244_00000.jpg
    ULJS00244_00000.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 241
  • ULJS00244_00008.jpg
    ULJS00244_00008.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 234

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...