joe_user

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi everyone

Haven't had anything to do with PSP so far, I am getting interested in getting one.

As I like to have a clean structure on my filesystem, I look for a tool which renames iso's to a standard. Like the GoodTools do.

Is there something similar for PSP?

Thanks for any tips!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know there's a PSP .dat somewhere out there, and you can use it with tools like MAMEClr or RomCenter.

I remember I saw it on AdvanceScene, but it has closed a while ago
ph34r.gif

joe_user

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am having now a follow up questions for you guys:

Scanned now my small collection. Offlinelist recognized about 50% to be valid, but not the rest.

What I realized is, that all CSO converted back to ISO files are not recognized. Is there a problem with the CSO compression? Or why is this happening? Just that I know if there is a problem with that, I will avoid this format in the future.

Thank you!
Joe

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First off, I don't recommend using OfflineList. It's a good program, but you can't use the renamer without it zipping up everything. It takes a long time to zip up an ISO. Then you have to unzip and run CISO on it.

Secondly... The reason why OLL won't recognize 50% of your collection is because many ISOs were tampered with. Many have had their update folder removed. Others have the movies ripped out of them.

joe_user

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First off, I don't recommend using OfflineList. It's a good program, but you can't use the renamer without it zipping up everything. It takes a long time to zip up an ISO. Then you have to unzip and run CISO on it.

Secondly... The reason why OLL won't recognize 50% of your collection is because many ISOs were tampered with. Many have had their update folder removed. Others have the movies ripped out of them.
Thanks for your reply!

Actually I like it, if everything gets zipped. Using 7z. But you are right, it takes a very long time to scan. But from an archiving and space point of view, I think this is the way to IMHO.

Hmm, I see. Removing the update is to preventing your PSP gets updated, right?
But if the movies are ripped out, I will check anyway for the full release. I do not like ripped stuff....

Thanks again.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, uncompressing a cso that happens to be a scene release should come out as a perfect copy unless it has been tampered with. My method with the renaming game for psp isos is to have the files retain their obscure and difficult to understand filename and the nfo stored in their own descriptive folders (usually the release dir name).

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use (and love) OLL for NDS and GBA, but I don't use it as an indexer for PSP games.

What do I do? Manual Edits.

1a: If I download a CSO, I convert it to ISO.

1b: If I download a zipped/rar'ed ISO, I uncompress it.

1c: If I download a straight-up ISO, I do nothing.

2: I check the CRC of the ISO against the one found on Advanscene.net.

3: If the CRC's match, I rename the ISO manually to something like "#### - File (US).ISO"

4: If the CRC's don't match...

4.1: I compare the ISO size to the one listed at Advanscene.net. A 30MB difference usually means the update folder was stripped. Anything greater means the ISO was ripped.

4.2: I also open the ISO (using PowerArchive) and check to see if the update folder was removed or the update and/or movie files were replaced by 0 byte files.

4.3: I check some of the ISO's files to see if I have a US, EU, or JP game.

4.4: Assuming the update was the only thing stripped, I rename the ISO manually to "File (US).ISO"

5. I compress the ISO back to CSO format using minimum compression.

NOTE: The difference between min and max compression is minimal. At most, it's 15MB, but I've seen it as low as 2MB. The performance hit you take when playing CSO's at max compression, however, is sometimes noticable. Thus, I only run at min compression.

---

Yes, this is more labor intensive than using OLL, but it also gives me more quality control over my collection. I've caught a few ISO's that had movies stripped out of 'em.

---

Now... There are three reasons why I don't zip, rar, or 7z all the CSOs/ISOs.

1. CSO's are basically deflated (zipped) ISO's already.
2. I'd have to uncompress them before sending them to a memory stick.
3. I use the USB ISO loader and the Wifi ISO loader. These work with CSOs, but not rars, zips, or 7z's.

joe_user

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, IBNobody!

That's what I am going to do now aswell. But I will 7zip it instead of CSO; I don't like that....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c