PSP Emulators Questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by gonzab, Jan 7, 2012.

Jan 7, 2012

PSP Emulators Questions by gonzab at 11:14 PM (1,706 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. gonzab
    OP

Member gonzab GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Hi guys I've been a user of his forum for some time but I just went to the Nintendo DS boards. Now I ordered a PSP for myself and I got some questions about the emulators:

I've heard that the console is pretty good for emulation, what are some consoles that get emulated well on the PSP besides de PS1?

Regarding the PS1 emulation is there anything that is done on the emulator to address issues like the lack of a second pair of triggers and a second analog stick on the PSP?

Also regarding PS1 emulation are there any issues with disc changing in games like the three Final Fantasies or Chrono Cross?

Thanks in advance guys and I hope to post a lot here from now on.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP

With the PS1 system, you can change control schemes. As for disc changing, you can make each disc a separate game/entry, or combine them and use the built-in "change disc" option in the PSP's PS1 system.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Basically anything from a Gameboy to an N64 (if you're patient enough) is emulated. I've even seen crappy Saturn and Dreamcast emulation going on, but that's not really worth your time.
    The analog support on the PS1 wasn't exactly native, so the emulator simply maps the analog stick to the stick and L2/R2 to the d-pad or the other way around.

4. steve1974

Newcomer steve1974 Advanced Member

Canada
    16 bit sega genesis is emulated pretty good, even a fair amount of sega cd games work. Snes and Gameboy advance work great. Masterboy is amazing for gb/c and gg/sm1 games.
    PS1 emulation is hit and miss, alot work but many are buggy without work arounds. Overall the psp is better then the nintendo DS for emulation. Native psp games are huge and ps1 games can get to be large aswell, so id definately recomend you get a 32 gig pro duo mem stick for the psp if emulation is gonna be its main purpose.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You know that with POPSLoader you can use different revisions of the firmware and that makes compatibility quite extensive, right?

6. gonzab
    OP

Portugal
    Oh, thanks for clearing that button part for me guys, that makes sense. As for the disc ghaning part I didn't quite get it, but that's just because I don't get wha you mean to do, I'll see to that later, what's important to me is that there are no issues regarding that because it seems a delicate subject for emulators on the PC and even when playing back ups on the original console.

7. Rydian

United States
    The PS1 ability of the PSP is native, not a homebrew emulator, so there's some official functions for changing the controls and handling disc changing in the menus once a PS1 game is started up.

8. gonzab
    OP

Portugal
    Ohh, I see, alright then, thanks a lot for the help guys a sorry to bother you with what is probably basic stuff.

See you guys around.

9. Rydian

United States
    I had the same sort of questions when I was getting a PSP. XD

10. Randamin

Member Randamin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I want to buy myself a psp go since it supports bluetooth and can be paired with a ps3 controller

Now my question is will the psp go detect the right analog stick and the L2 and R2 buttons from the ps3 controller while playing a ps1 game?
    This would fill the gap for the lack of the right stick and extra shoulder buttons.

If this is true then I could then play ps1 games without needing to modify some controls and connect to a TV and play as the original without having to mess with disk swapping on a ps2.

11. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    Randamin, I'm not really sure, but be aware you will need a PS3 to sync that PS3 controller with a Go.

12. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Au contraire...

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/help/pspgo-ds3-pair

13. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    Nifty. I'll need a Go more now.

14. Randamin

Member Randamin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yep I saw a YouTube video that explained how to use that program to pair a ps3 controller with the go

Quite handy since I don't see myself with a ps3 anytime soon.