Gaming PSP Custom Firmware

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so, I've has a psp phat a few years a go and sold it cuz it got boring, then a year or 2 later i bought another one and now its getting boring again. The only way I could find a psp fun to use is if it had custom firmware on it. I want a PSP slim and I want custom firmware on it but I dont know the best way to go about doing this. Would it be best to buy an already modded one on ebay or buy a psp, then send it into someone on ebay so they can mod it for me or should I buy one and do it myself. Thing is, I dont know if it is possible to downgrade the firmware on a brand new psp slim and I also dont really know what to buy if I was going to do it myslef.

GbaDoctor

GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr
Trophies
Website
gbadoctor.spaces.live.com
XP
Country
Italy
Well, things aint so easy for first timers, thats for sure.
PSP hacking evolves around the concept of Pandora's sticks and batteries, using in conjuction Dark alex tools such Despertar del Cementerio V5.

I would go personally for a PSP Slim, not the phat one. There are plenty of reasons:

first of all, is the only model with 64mb onboard, while phat have 32mb.
second, it got an UMD Cache option wich cuts dramatically loading times: eg in Crisis Core, there are zero loading times for battles, while on phat it takes up to 20 second.
third, alot of applications are using the 64mb ram: eg MVSpsp (neogeo AES/MVS emulator) , cps2 and cps1 now doesnt need cache files. Just put the roms in roms folder and ure sorted (mvspsp still need to cache some roms, but only 10 so far, the bigger ones).

also the slim offers the ability to output the psp screen on a tv lcd via composite, s-video or component.

Using a plugin for CFW called FuSa you can even output fullscreen image and games on ur tv set.

Now, for the hacking part:

- Pandora battery and Memorystick can be created ONLY from a Custom Firmware enabled PSP.
- Pandoras batteries are standard batteries (so even the one in the psp you will buy is ok) converted to trigger service mode menu on boot. They can be converted back if you want.
- Same applies for memorystick, theres a limit tho: only sticks up to 2gb, bigger than 128mb.

The best thing u can do is to buy and already modded PSP, or just hunt down someone in ur area that can mod it for u.

Oh, regarding the original question: with a pandora battery and stick is possible to downgrade EVERY PSP, no matter what firmware they got, since is completely made without accessing the O.S. via service mode. Its more like a format and install of a fresh OS.

Hope this shred some light for ya, cheers.

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot GbaDoctor. I learned a lot from your post.

GbaDoctor said:
- Same applies for memorystick, theres a limit tho: only sticks up to 2gb, bigger than 128mb.

You can actually use a stick up to 4gb. 8gb sticks won't work though.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that was very helpful, it would be a lot cheaper to do it myself but I dont know the first thing about modding so I doubt I could get it to work. Best off just buying an already modded system. I'll look around. If I buy one is it possible to upgrade to a new custom firmware without using Pandora's battery and magic memory stick?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
CheatingSoi said:
Thanks, that was very helpful, it would be a lot cheaper to do it myself but I dont know the first thing about modding so I doubt I could get it to work. Best off just buying an already modded system. I'll look around. If I buy one is it possible to upgrade to a new custom firmware without using Pandora's battery and magic memory stick?
Don't bother buying a modded PSP unless it is less than $10 more than retail. $10+memorystick you'll need anyway will get you to CFW in 10 minutes (well, with Dealextreme's shipping...2-4 weeks)

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
CheatingSoi said:
Well if youre allready are on Custom firmware then its just putting some files on your Memory stick and run the update trough the Game menu.

GbaDoctor

GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr
Trophies
Website
gbadoctor.spaces.live.com
XP
Country
Italy
drock360 said:
Thanks a lot GbaDoctor. I learned a lot from your post.

GbaDoctor said:

You can actually use a stick up to 4gb. 8gb sticks won't work though.

4gb sticks have reported a huge amount of errors into creating a pandora stick, so to be safe ive just said that imho 2gb is the best. A bad corrupted file, althought it can look legit to the installer can seriously brick the psp.
Thats all, i advice max the 2gbs ones.

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GbaDoctor said:
- Pandora battery and Memorystick can be created ONLY from a Custom Firmware enabled PSP.
- Pandoras batteries are standard batteries (so even the one in the psp you will buy is ok) converted to trigger service mode menu on boot. They can be converted back if you want.

Not to nitpick, but Pandora's battery/Memory sticks don't require a custom firmware psp.
The memory stick can be made on a PC, and the battery can be easily hardmodded and converted back (I use the 2 solder point method, but instead of soldering I tape a wire down to the solder points.)
I think it was fairly easy to put CFW on my psp, using ediblebird's guide, and it saves money.

D

Deleted User

Shyn said:
GbaDoctor said:

Not to nitpick, but Pandora's battery/Memory sticks don't require a custom firmware psp.
The memory stick can be made on a PC, and the battery can be easily hardmodded and converted back (I use the 2 solder point method, but instead of soldering I tape a wire down to the solder points.)
I think it was fairly easy to put CFW on my psp, using ediblebird's guide, and it saves money.

Yep, I used TotalNewbi Easy Installer and worked fine, and that doesn't need a Custom Firmware PSP.
Pandora's battery can either be hardmodded or if you're nervous about modding a battery you could buy one from Amazon called a Datel TOOL Battery.
Worked fine for me, playing a GBA Emulator on 3.90 M33-3 right now
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad