PSP 2000 Disassembly Guide

PSP 2000 Disassembly Guide

This guide will show you how to fully disassemble your PSP 2000.
The only tools needed are small screwdrivers (philips/flat head).

1. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    The PSP has two screws on the top, and one on the bottom, remove them.

2. 03b.jpg
    Flip the PSP over, take off the battery cover and remove the battery (and warranty sticker), and remove the four screws on the back.

3. image.jpg
    You should now be able to pull the faceplate (front) of the PSP shell off.

4. image.jpg

image.jpg
    The home bar is kinda' weakly-clipped to the bottom of the screen, you should be able to just pull it off by rotating it towards you a bit, but you may need to pry one of the side grips.

5. image.jpg

image.jpg
    We need to pop the screen out now. You can see here there's a little metal protrusion keeping the screen in. Pry gently between the screen and that plastic part to pop that piece out.

6. image.jpg
    The screen should wiggle out easily after that, but be careful because it's still connected.

7. image.jpg

image.jpg
    Remove this metal piece, it's held down by the piece of black tape-stuff at it's bottom-right.

8. image.jpg
    The next job is to unhook these three ribbon cables, starting with the right one. For the two on the right you simply lift the little plastic flap up (rotating away from you) and pull the cable out.

9. image.jpg
    Once the right one (home bar) is unhooked, set it aside.

10. image.jpg
    Unhook the middle ribbon cable.

11. image.jpg
    For the left ribbon cable the plastic bar is on the opposite side, unhook it as well, and set the screen aside.

12. image.jpg
    Unscrew these two screws for the shoulder button guards.

13. image.jpg
    Pull off the guards and remove the shoulder buttons.

14. image.jpg
    Take this little brown rubber protector for the right speaker and set it aside.

15. image.jpg
    Now it's time to remove another section of the PSP. Start by removing this screw and unhooking this ribbon cable.

16. image.jpg
    The sensor for the L trigger is connected to this section so you'll need to peel it off of the PSP, it's sticky-backed.

17. image.jpg
    Pull the Memory Stick door all the way open, and you should be able to simply lift this section of the PSP off. Set it aside.

18. image.jpg
    To remove the right speaker, move the bottom clip to the left a bit, and rotate the speaker counter-clockwise.

19. image.jpg
    It's time to remove the charger port and power board. Unscrew the two screws, and simply pull the plug in the upper-left of the image down to pull it out.

20. image.jpg
    Remove the charging port, and then unhook this ribbon cable. Like before you'll need to peel off the shoulder trigger sensor.

21. image.jpg
    This entire pad is sticky, peel it off and set it aside.

22. image.jpg
    back on the motherboard, unhook these two cables (UMD drive).

23. image.jpg

image.jpg
    You'll also need to pop the WiFi antenna off, just pull it straight up from the board.

24. image.jpg

image.jpg
    There's a metal bar at the top that supports the screen, pull it out.

25. image.jpg
    In the bottom-left, unscrew the analog stick.

26. image.jpg
    Slide it out, and be careful about the conductor pad on the right! It may fall out of it's little slot, so be careful.

27. image.jpg
    Now you should be able to remove the motherboard by rotating it slowly upwards (since it's connected to the charging port) stuck into the case).

28. image.jpg
    You'll find another metal shield, just take it out and try to remember it's orientation for putting the PSP back together...

29. image.jpg
    Unscrew the output board and pull it out.

30. image.jpg
    In the bottom of the shell, find the spring, we need to remove it... but the white plastic piece is keeping it in.

31. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Remove the plastic piece as shown, and pull the spring out.

32. image.jpg
    Flip the PSP over.

33. image.jpg

image.jpg
    The WiFi's plate is sticky, peel it up and slide it out.

34. image.jpg

image.jpg
    The right hinge of the UMD door needs to be disconnected. At this point you should be able to flex the PSP's shell just a bit in order to work that joint out, but be careful, and this can be pretty annoying. Once the first hinge is out, you should be able to pull the second one out easier.

35. image.jpg
    As for the metal bar keeping the UMD door, if you slide the connector all the way down (as if the UMD was closed) they can pop out of the hole there. Do this on both sides to remove the door.

36. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    It should be simple to remove the metal bar, as it can bend and is just hooked into the plastic as shown. The PSP does come with two little foam cubes in the joints, however I have removed mine because I was just unable to get them back in...

37. image.jpg
    Set the UMD door and metal frame aside.

38. image.jpg
    Unscrew the four screws holding the UMD drive in.

39. image.jpg
    Pull the UMD drive out.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I literally searched for PSP 2000 disassembly guides on Youtube 40 minutes ago. Now this comes up. Timing couldn't be more perfect, thanks Rydian. Top-class as always!

I'll use this in a few weeks to clean some dust and things from under my screen.

Reactions: Margen67

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just used this to clean my PSP screen. All the dust under it has been bothering me since it's purchase, and with this guide I finally found the courage and information to take it apart
smile.gif
Took me a good half hour to do it all, the screws were quite tight, but glad it's finally done! And my PSP still works, so I'm happy.

Also, someone sticky this, seeing we don't have any other stickies in the Hardware section.

sheppy1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this great tutorial! Looking to replace my old white psp slim housing with a clear one from deal extreme once it arrives from HK so will be relying in this tutorial to help me :)

Reactions: Margen67

Ultrasteeloid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool Guide! I guess you follow it backwards to reassemble right? Do you have to completely disassemble the PSP to change the shell though or is there an easier way with less steps to it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

udelgadochio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I lost the conductive pad of the joystick, well actually when I pulled it out it didn't even had it, what can I do? It is a PSP 2010, I saw some videos on YouTube and when they pull the joystick they also don't have the conductive pad.

Last edited by udelgadochio,

thespawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any guide still active with the pictures still working. I want to start to give my psp 2000 a new body so it would be very helpfull

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over