PSP 1000 with broken screen

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Magmorph, Mar 1, 2010.

Mar 1, 2010

PSP 1000 with broken screen by Magmorph at 1:04 AM (1,002 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Magmorph
    OP

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I recently got a PSP 1000 with a cracked screen (dumpster diving pays off sometimes). Everything but the screen seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. Would replacing the screen be worth my while or would it be too costly compared to just buying another PSP? Also is there any way to tell if it is reading UMD's correctly?

2. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They have screens on Amazon for ~$20 plus shipping. But the one I ordered had a couple dead pixels ><

I'd say it's worth it if you're not anal with that like me.

EDIT: Link

It's an easy fix, but does the cracked screen turn on at all? If not, the screens connection to the mothorboard may be damaged and you'd need a new motherboard as well- probably not worth it at that point.

3. Magmorph
    OP

United States
    Yes the screen turns on. The corner of the screen still works properly but the rest is cracked.

Edit:
    I guess it wouldn't be too big of a risk for $20. Even if it doesn't read UMD's it would be cheaper than buying another one.

4. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Especially since it a 1000, it would be quite easy to mod it and have no need for your UMD tray. I removed my UMD try, feels about as light as a 2000.

5. Magmorph
    OP

United States
    Ok I got a new screen and everything works fine except that I can't get the faceplate back on. Is there some trick to it? The row of buttons (start etc.) on the bottom seems to be too thick and it pops the faceplate off.

Edit: I figured out the problem. The little screw hole at the bottom broke(the one on the faceplate itself). [​IMG] Will it still work without that screw?

6. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Yea works fine, everyone's seems to break when they remove the face plate.