Gaming PSP 1000 with broken screen

Magmorph

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a PSP 1000 with a cracked screen (dumpster diving pays off sometimes). Everything but the screen seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. Would replacing the screen be worth my while or would it be too costly compared to just buying another PSP? Also is there any way to tell if it is reading UMD's correctly?

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They have screens on Amazon for ~$20 plus shipping. But the one I ordered had a couple dead pixels ><

I'd say it's worth it if you're not anal with that like me.

EDIT: Link

It's an easy fix, but does the cracked screen turn on at all? If not, the screens connection to the mothorboard may be damaged and you'd need a new motherboard as well- probably not worth it at that point.

Magmorph

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the screen turns on. The corner of the screen still works properly but the rest is cracked.

Edit:
I guess it wouldn't be too big of a risk for $20. Even if it doesn't read UMD's it would be cheaper than buying another one.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
Yes the screen turns on. The corner of the screen still works properly but the rest is cracked.

Edit:
I guess it wouldn't be too big of a risk for $20. Even if it doesn't read UMD's it would be cheaper than buying another one.

Especially since it a 1000, it would be quite easy to mod it and have no need for your UMD tray. I removed my UMD try, feels about as light as a 2000.

Magmorph

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I got a new screen and everything works fine except that I can't get the faceplate back on. Is there some trick to it? The row of buttons (start etc.) on the bottom seems to be too thick and it pops the faceplate off.

Edit: I figured out the problem. The little screw hole at the bottom broke(the one on the faceplate itself).
frown.gif
Will it still work without that screw?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free