Gaming PSP 1000 hacking questions.

JBW

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Im new to psp hacking and as my brother is buying an old psp soon i want to help him hack it so it will play isos and homebrew. i have a couple of n00bish questions first though.

Which custom firmware is best?
How can i hack a psp 1000 and will i need to buy anything like a new special battery? (ive searched aroun for the answer to this and have found nothing that doesn't involve buying something)
What size memory stick do you recommend and where can i find it cheapest?

if anyone can answer any of these questions it will be much a appreciated.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
1. At the moment, the GEN CFW team are the best. Until the M33 team update their firmware, it will stay that way.
2. PSP-1000 hacking can be done with a Pandora battery, which can be bought from www.dealextreme.com very cheaply.
3. If you're going to put games and the like on it, but a PhotoFast MS Pro Duo. That can also be bought from the aforementioned website. It allows you to use microSD's instead of Sony's own Memory Stick's, which are very expensive.

tonkotsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me piggy-back on this thread.

I just got a PSP 1000 from my brother. I read the tutorial by Legion and have some questions.

1) The PSP is on firmware 5.02. Is it still hackable or it has to be a lower firmware?

2) The tutorial says I need FW v1.5, 3.4 and 3.8. Do I need to install those even though I'm at on v5.02?

3) For the firmware updates, do I have to install each version after 3.8 (e.g. 4.00, 4.01, 4.05) or I can jump straight to 5.02?

I'm new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hallo~ !!

Well, let me tell you something, the PSP-1000 (phat, fat, "normal", or whatever you want to call it) is probably the coolest thing you could have ever gotten, because no matter what firmware you're in, you can always downgrade, upgrade or do whatever you want ^^!!!

Using "Despertar del Cementerio" you should be completely able to use CF 5.00 M33 and it's updates (6 is the newest one), and the only problem you'll have with it is that you can't play the most recent games (those that require the picky firmware 5.55, which hasn't been hacked thus far), other than that, you should be able to play everything else AND, if you install the 1.50 kernel patch, you can't make use of ANY homebrew your little heart desires =D!

I haven't tried the newest GEN firmwares, as I don't have any use for things like PSN and the PStore... But if you want to play FIFA 2010 (just released in Europe) you'll need 5.50 GEN-B ^^!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
1) Stick with 5.00M33-6 unless you're absolutely desperate to install something that is widely believed to be unstable and dislikes being uninstalled.
2) Depends upon your firmware. Lower than 5.03 and you don't need to buy anything else.
3) Personally i want to be sure everything i have on my stick is safe. I have a Photofast but choose to use a 4Gb Sandisk Pro Duo for my own peace of mind.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to throw out there, that the photofast is the way to go! You just need to make sure once you put sd cards in it, you leave them there. The photofast is basically a RAID 0 memory card and its not designed for swaping out cards, or else you could corrupt your games and saves.

For around $30 USD you can have yourself a 16gb memory stick if you find a good price online for the photofast and 2 8gb cards.

tonkotsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the answers.

I have another question. The Legion tutorial uses official firmware along w/ the unbricker program. But doesn't mention custom firmware. So where does the custom firmware come in? When and how am I supposed to use the custom firmware after I use the unbricker program?

Thanks again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "unbricker" is just a method to put the PSP in service mode in which case it will ignore the code blocks of the official firmware and allow you to run whatever you like. Whatever you like includes a custom firmware installer.

Before you start down that road though tonkotsu if you have a PSP with official firmware 5.03 or lower you can use chickHEN to run homebrew code- I did my PSP 1000 with that and the 32 meg memory stick it came with.
ChickHEN uses a bug present in the 5.03 firmware (it was in those below as well but it was made to run on the 5.03) to run custom code without the need of a special battery or a game based exploit. The tutorial you were using while absolutely valid was written before this came about. If you have updated past 5.03 pandora is your only option at this time (a few more game based exploits were found but few people followed them up).

@foxgrey RAID 0 is a sort of valid thinking point but RAID would imply a level of sophistication- it is my understanding it is just raw sectors being used (not that it makes a great deal of difference for solid state).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JBW said:
Im new to psp hacking and as my brother is buying an old psp soon i want to help him hack it so it will play isos and homebrew. i have a couple of n00bish questions first though.

Which custom firmware is best?
How can i hack a psp 1000 and will i need to buy anything like a new special battery? (ive searched aroun for the answer to this and have found nothing that doesn't involve buying something)
What size memory stick do you recommend and where can i find it cheapest?

if anyone can answer any of these questions it will be much a appreciated.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f127/

They are great and can help you very quickly. ENJOY!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have a go with http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171160

When I did the PSP 1000 my friend has it took many tries (I forget the amount but suffice it to say it took about 20 minutes) for the second go around made all the more notable by my last words before starting it being something along the lines of "I know we do not have to but let us just reset and go from scratch".

Spawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tonkotsu said:
Let me piggy-back on this thread.

I just got a PSP 1000 from my brother. I read the tutorial by Legion and have some questions.

1) The PSP is on firmware 5.02. Is it still hackable or it has to be a lower firmware?

2) The tutorial says I need FW v1.5, 3.4 and 3.8. Do I need to install those even though I'm at on v5.02?

3) For the firmware updates, do I have to install each version after 3.8 (e.g. 4.00, 4.01, 4.05) or I can jump straight to 5.02?

I'm new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1- you can hack it with chickhen however, personally I find the pandora way better. I did my phat that way and found out that the program "hellcats recovery flasher" which I believe comes with the downgrader was able to turn my phat battery into a pandora and back!!! (wasted $20 buying a "tool" battery before i knew i could do this)

2- the downgrader download itself would be illegal if it were distributed with parts of sonys code (the firmware updates) and so you need to get them for the installer use... but you don't install them!

3- you are already on 5.02 so no... see above.

and if you want to know, I still use 5.00m33-6 as well. I have no use for the on-line portion that GEN cfw may or may not offer... being able to play the newer games might entice me to eventually tho!

tonkotsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the advices, Fast & Spawk.

I've been trying the ChickHEN but I can't get it to work. Tried all the tips ppl said to get the Photo part to load the whole day yesterday, but it doesn't reboot into the custom firmware. My PSP just freezes and shuts down.
Read a little about Hellca'ts flasher from your advice, Spawk, and it seems that I need custom firmware to run the Pandora installer. But I need a Pandora to install custom firmware. A catch-22.
I guess I have to wait for my Pandora battery to come. Prob gonna take at least month to ship from China.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
tonkotsu said:
Thank you very much for the advices, Fast & Spawk.

I've been trying the ChickHEN but I can't get it to work. Tried all the tips ppl said to get the Photo part to load the whole day yesterday, but it doesn't reboot into the custom firmware. My PSP just freezes and shuts down.
Read a little about Hellca'ts flasher from your advice, Spawk, and it seems that I need custom firmware to run the Pandora installer. But I need a Pandora to install custom firmware. A catch-22.
I guess I have to wait for my Pandora battery to come. Prob gonna take at least month to ship from China.
How long have you tried with chickHEN? It took me at least an hour to get it running first time.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was brand new to psp hacking to but thnks to temp and few other forums i got mine hacked in lesss thn an hour. I used chickhen and it can take a long time but i think its worth it as it cost nothing (well u need a memory stick)
Plus its pretty simple you just need to keep trying and eventually it will work and when it does trust me u will be really happy
Gud Luk

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChickHEN took me 3 tries, and good thing too, because if your battery runs out before the process is finished, it's done for until you get a Pandora and make an MMS.

So just my advice, make absolutely sure your PSP is fully charged and can last longer than 10 minutes (to be safe)!!

tonkotsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
How long have you tried with chickHEN? It took me at least an hour to get it running first time.
I've been trying the last two days. Maybe 50 times? Even more probably?

My PSP is plugged in, so it's fully charged. Tried every variation: putting it into sleep mode, reformatting the mem stick, restore default settings, UMD mode off, ejecting the mem stick, clicking on camera, connecting to & disconnecting from USB mode, leaving the UMD tray open, loading from Pictures folder, moving it back to the Photos folder, clapping my hands twice while turning counter-clockwise.

1/3 of the time, when I go to the Photos folder, it loads all the images in the PHAT folder. Doesn't even freeze/shut down until I go into sleep mode & back or USB mode and back. But that's all it does: freezes and shuts down.

edit: Holy crap! It finally worked last night. Caught me off-guard! Now I gotta figure out what to do next, like how to use cheats & all. Thanks, guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.