Hacking PSA - WII2HDMI Portholic Audio Problems (my solution)

livin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,

I had a problem with my WII2HDMI Adapter from Portholic. Its a great adapter and the quality of image is superb. Even component cant compare (I have wii component and they are good, but hdmi is way better still).

The only problem was that Audio sucked in some instances.
A reproduceable example is GC Twilight Princess, whenever you Warp. The audio crackles and distorts every time.

A solution is to insert headphones into the audio cinch 3.5mm of the portholic WII2HDMI port.
The HDMI sounds gets more quiet, but you can just turn up the volume on the TV. The audio doesnt crackle anymore.

Now instead of always having a pair of headphones behind my WII, I took a 3.5mm cinch end piece and connected 22ohm (2x) resistors to it.
Normal phone headphones are between 20-40ohm resistance, so that is about the same.
It works well. I added a picture if anyone is interested what I did.

Hope that helps others that are in a similiar situation. The audio crackling in Gamecube games was super annoying.

Attachments

• a.jpeg
    a.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 494

fatpan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the fix solution! I was scratching my head on this one thinking it was a PAL/NTSC conflict on my homebrew. Just popped in some old headphones in there and worked. I wish I could do a cleaner solution like yours, maybe one day I will look into your h/w mod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was actually in the scouts for 1 week, til they assigned me homework, n I was like f this, and quit, I was like 10 yrs old.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders