Hacking Discussion [PSA] SX OS Banwave is here!!!

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know even if you get banned you can still update your games right. Most of the people getting banned with SX have previously used LayeredFS
It's not just about updating though. I want FULL access to the e-shop because I still purchase games. Some games (especially fighting games) I want to play first. If I fall in love with it, I buy it. Arms is one I want to try, but I'm just not convinced enough to buy it. I haven't enjoyed a fighting game since SNES Killer Instinct (and I still assert that the arcade version is superior in every way. Long live MAME!). This includes every single Smash game. Don't care for them. All of my big-ticket games come on a cart, and I will always buy the cart, but I have many now that are digital only. I know there will be many more in the future.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not just about updating though. I want FULL access to the e-shop because I still purchase games. Some games (especially fighting games) I want to play first. If I fall in love with it, I buy it. Arms is one I want to try, but I'm just not convinced enough to buy it. I haven't enjoyed a fighting game since SNES Killer Instinct (and I still assert that the arcade version is superior in every way. Long live MAME!). This includes every single Smash game. Don't care for them. All of my big-ticket games come on a cart, and I will always buy the cart, but I have many now that are digital only. I know there will be many more in the future.
Slightly off topic, but do you use your switch primarily in portable / tabletop or docked? I personally am going all-digital just because I can't stand carrying around 20 carts.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 all those reasons that's why ppl need EMUNAND, no traces on nand, everything will be on the "fake nand(emulated nand) inside the M-SD" with no logs, saves, accounts on the main nand (unless nintendo also have a way to log RCM, which is very unlikely).
On the bright side, more bans / automated bans = less cheaters in online games.
Agreed, as much as everyone here say no to cheats and stuff, I bet a huge amount of ppl are just crazy waiting for cheat support so they can go online and own legit players.

Then that ruins the game for ppl who paid everything;)

Last edited by guily6669,

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well I also read someone else say even though they were banned they were able to download games onto their Switch using the eshop on their computer. I'm not sure how true that is though.

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been many posts going into depth of the authentication and cert sending/receiving and what apps and processes/reasons there are for this. Solely updating a game does notand is not used in any authentication processes. it was posted in a few other threads asking about bans or updating, as well as one or two purely informational posts about in depth analysis of switch workings, so I'll just quote one that I found by searching for literally a minute or two:

"
The NIM services only use the console's Device ID when downloading anything from the CDN, so it should be safe. But this is absolutely subject to change in the future.
Cartridge Certificates are a thing, and they're used in the authentication process for online play. Unlike in the 3DS days, Certs are cartridge-unique, game-unique (e.g. Certificates from a MK8D dump can only be used with copies of MK8D), and sent in conjunction with your Device ID. This means that you cannot play online with pirated copies of games, and getting banned will result in your console being banned as well, not just the cartridge itself.

The possibility of cartridge certificates being added to the CDN download verification process is a very real one, so whilst you're "safe" to download updates for cartridge games, don't expect this to be the case forever.
"

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slightly off topic, but do you use your switch primarily in portable / tabletop or docked? I personally am going all-digital just because I can't stand carrying around 20 carts.
I've never once had it docked. I'm also living out of 1 suitcase and 1 seabag until December, so I couldn't be bothered to have the dock with me. My case has a pouch area inside for carts. That's good enough for me until I either get comfortable playing my own dumps, or I find a cheap enough tablet. Other than I'm getting old so I like to cheat my way through some games, I am also a huge fan of emulation. I have a color Ti calculator that plays NES roms :P That's my main purpose for wanting/using homebrew.

PECONAUT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex
  • Banned: N
  • If banned, provide proof (video preferred)
  • Used any CDN Downloader: N
  • Unchecked "Send Errors" in Menu: Y
  • Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: N
  • SX OS used offline: N/A
  • SX OS used online: N/A
  • Played with SX Backups online: N/A
  • Layered FS Used offline: Y
  • Layered FS Used online: N
  • Played with Layered FS Injects online: N
  • Homebrew Offline: N/A
  • Connect internet with homebrew: Y ( once to test Homebrew Store
  • Connect to eShop during CFW: N
  • Played with Layered FS Injects with OwnCert.: N
  • Does the Eshop work: Y
  • Backups updated: N (CFW or OFW)
  • WiFi settings deleted: Y
  • Airplane mode: Y
  • AutoRCM: Y (briccmii)
  • SX OS Version used when Online: N/A
  • Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: N
When online four times. I had autRCM set up.

1. Once in CFW to check if homebrew store was working and downloaded some title. Layered was not install. Then formatted the switch cause I was going to sell it.
  2. Then two days later I decide to keep it and set up layeredFS. I formatted my sdcard to exfat then it ask me for an update. I booted to horizon and update it. I actually had autoRCM set up and the update remove it. When back and reinstalled it
  3. Third time I try to remove my Nintendo Account so I switch to horizon from layered and try to remove the account but the system would not let me. It keep giving me error. I ignore it and when back to layered but I could play the demos because the system was telling me that I needed permission from the person who bought it. I when back to horizon, didn't clear logs, and did the verification check
  4. Last, when I hear people were being ban I decide to go in OFW and check eshop. Didn't deleted log or anything. Try it and everything was working. After that I when back and clear log and reset my console to factory. Set up my nintendo and now playing fornite cause it free.

Reactions: Draxzelex

aekotra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(e.g. Certificates from a MK8D dump can only be used with copies of MK8D)

This doesn't appear to be true at all. People have successfully gone online by just replacing a pirated game's cert with one from a legit cart that they own, regardless of the game. It doesn't prevent online access in anyway (not to say you won't get banned). In other words, certs may be unique in the way described but they're not actually validated against the game data itself.

Last edited by aekotra,
Reactions: Rel

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean? Most people replacing certs with their own are using legit certs of the same game type. If the cert is missing, then it gives an error, if it is invalid, it will allow online play, but that is definitely guaranteed logged and sent as data that the wrong cert was used (or same cert as someone else). As for if they use a different game's cert online, I personally have no clue if that works or is bannable or detectable at all. My main point was that through research and base integral knowledge of how updates are fetched and interactions with the switch and CDN servers, it's been proven that game updates are very VERY likely to be safe at this current time.

aekotra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As for if they use a different game's cert online, I personally have no clue if that works

Yeah, I know you don't. I was explaining that it does work and the person you were quoting was not correct. That's the only thing I meant.

Last edited by aekotra,
Reactions: Rel

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, where did you read or see other users injecting other games certs into different games and it working? I've heard it go both ways. Some people saying it doesn't work, some saying it does, so I'd just like clarification. Also wondering if some people say it doesn't work, but really meaning that it works... but is an obvious ban, so "doesn't work" in that sense. There's been lots of back and forth.

aekotra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just curious, where did you read or see other users injecting other games certs into different games and it working? I've heard it go both ways. Some people saying it doesn't work, some saying it does, so I'd just like clarification. Also wondering if some people say it doesn't work, but really meaning that it works... but is an obvious ban, so "doesn't work" in that sense. There's been lots of back and forth.

It's linked in my original comment!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This doesn't appear to be true at all. People have successfully gone online by just replacing a pirated game's cert with one from a legit cart that they own, regardless of the game. It doesn't prevent online access in anyway (not to say you won't get banned). In other words, certs may be unique in the way described but they're not actually validated against the game data itself.
It might trigger at Nintendo however. Since the cert and data doesn't match.

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, very nice. I missed the link before. So confirmed working. Any reports of bans from it yet? Started skimming through the thread, haven't come across much yet aside from "THEY CAN SEE IT!!!!"

Reactions: NeoSlyde

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn’t even read the entire 35pages but what a click bait thread title. So two people is a ban wave? I hate the damned ban histaria. Ppl don’t even know why and yet they run around with rampid speculation.

I would prefer not to get banned, i never play online beyond just toying aeound buy so much good eshop ccmmijg that I wll buy if I do’t get banned.

I think there are some known known bad practices but beyond that who knows. As for AutoRCM......it is a mod to the system boot so in a sense when you do that its no longer OFW technically. I am sricking with jigg till we get a cold booting cfw.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn’t even read the entire 35pages but what a click bait thread title. So two people is a ban wave? I hate the damned ban histaria. Ppl don’t even know why and yet they run around with rampid speculation.

I would prefer not to get banned, i never play online beyond just toying aeound buy so much good eshop ccmmijg that I wll buy if I do’t get banned.

I think there are some known known bad practices but beyond that who knows. As for AutoRCM......it is a mod to the system boot so in a sense when you do that its no longer OFW technically. I am sricking with jigg till we get a cold booting cfw.
Cold boot wont be any better

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If I understand correctly, the autoRCM does effect boot, but boot and firmware are completely separate, so the firmware itself is still 100% OFW, unless you boot SX OS of course. I may be wrong, but that's what I understood how it was explained to me before.

aekotra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might trigger at Nintendo however. Since the cert and data doesn't match.

Right, but given that missing or malformed certs prevent online access by default but a cert/header mismatch does not is a pretty strange omission by Nintendo. Especially considering how prevalent header injection was with the 3DS. Why not block access immediately on mismatch? Why does their authentication process not care about the game header or even the hash of the game loaded in the console? Weird...

Reactions: NeoSlyde

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153