Hacking Discussion [PSA] SX OS Banwave is here!!!

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How are people still skeptical about what's causing people to get flagged?
Error logs are being reported to Nintendo routinely even with Share Error Information disabled, it's already known that this is what caused at least three people (One of them being Shinyquagsire) to get banned earlier on, as there were no other traces for them to go off of.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are people still skeptical about what's causing people to get flagged?
Error logs are being reported to Nintendo routinely even with Share Error Information disabled, it's already known that this is what caused at least three people (One of them being Shinyquagsire) to get banned earlier on, as there were no other traces for them to go off of.
Because some people are used to the good ole days of the DS, Wii, Wii U, and to some extent the 3DS where bans were on the rarer side. They grew soft on Nintendo and underestimated them at the wrong time.

Reactions: SaffronXL

slainfu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just my two cents, but I'd imagine that Nintendo are savvy enough now not to fully show their hand by banning everyone immediately. One week after the release of SX there's no need for ban waves (so to speak); they could easily ban whomever has loaded backups (assuming their telemetry data is as competent as their content digital watermarking) in one wave.

My guess would be that they've banned a sub-section of offenders, all of which are a mixed bag in terms of rapsheets. They'll do the same in a few days, and then a few more, and so on. It'll cause doubt and confusion purely down to the timing of the ban-hammers dropping and make the reason for the bans almost impossible to narrow down. It costs them almost entirely no effort to do that, and will throw the community into almost constant confusion. Ultimately this helps Nintendo keep up with the scene as developers struggle to make sense of what is happening. Not being predictable is one of the first rules in the book of secops; it's hard to attack something when you can't rationalise the behaviour of a system or mechanism. Looks like they've read the book since the days of the Wii U and *DS.

If anyone is feeling lucky that they've not been banned so far, don't count your chickens just yet. I think we can all agree that Nintendo seem to be on-the-ball this time around.

SciresM was 100% accurate when he said (paraphrased) they're not fucking around this time. If you need online buy a clean Switch, ditch backups and cross your fingers, or take the hit with a smile. :)

Also, given that enunand will be a clone of your eMMC in a different partition (or possible in a dumped file image), and uses the same encryption keys etc, don't think Nintendo wouldn't be able to seek out and take a peek inside if they put a bit of effort into it. Whilst I concur it would be one of the "safer" options right now, it's not out of their reach. Given they've seen it all before with the *DS, I'd imagine that they've already considered that possibility and have ideas on how to detect, mitigate and punish EmuNAND users.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SaffronXL and Ty_

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my two cents, but I'd imagine that Nintendo are savvy enough now not to fully show their hand by banning everyone immediately. One week after the release of SX there's no need for ban waves (so to speak); they could easily ban whomever has loaded backups (assuming their telemetry data is as competent as their content digital watermarking) in one wave.

My guess would be that they've banned a sub-section of offenders, all of which are a mixed bag in terms of rapsheets. They'll do the same in a few days, and then a few more, and so on. It'll cause doubt and confusion purely down to the timing of the ban-hammers dropping and make the reason for the bans almost impossible to narrow down. It costs them almost entirely no effort to do that, and will throw the community into almost constant confusion. Ultimately this helps Nintendo keep up with the scene as developers struggle to make sense of what is happening. Not being predictable is one of the first rules in the book of secops; it's hard to attack something when you can't rationalise the behaviour of a system or mechanism. Looks like they've read the book since the days of the Wii U and *DS.

If anyone is feeling lucky that they've not been banned so far, don't count your chickens just yet. I think we can all agree that Nintendo seem to be on-the-ball this time around.

SciresM was 100% accurate when he said (paraphrased) they're not fucking around this time. If you need online buy a clean Switch, ditch backups and cross your fingers, or take the hit with a smile. :)

Also, given that enunand will be a clone of your eMMC in a different partition (or possible in a dumped file image), and uses the same encryption keys etc, don't think Nintendo wouldn't be able to seek out and take a peek inside if they put a bit of effort into it. Whilst I concur it would be one of the "safer" options right now, it's not out of their reach. Given they've seen it all before with the *DS, I'd imagine that they've already considered that possibility and have ideas on how to detect, mitigate and punish EmuNAND users.

As much as I dislike speculation and conspiracy theory, I hope you are right on the money with this.

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does anyone know if the ban englobes all the accounts linked with the system or just the one that did the fun stuff?

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, always enabled airplane mode before homebrew and only launched splatoon like once while running hekate. I guess I'll talk to customer support or something. Idk

Very weird. I'm pretty much in Hekate mode all the time, but never used LayeredFS. The most I've done is use Homebrew (FTP and Checkpoint) and that's really it.

Also played Splatoon 2 online with Hekate loaded and nothing so far (touch wood).

slainfu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As much as I dislike speculation and conspiracy theory, I hope you are right on the money with this.
Not really a conspiracy theory, but certainly speculative. It's relatively trivial these days to ingest huge quantities of aggregated logs from many sources and perform automated analytics across all of it. Constantly, every waking hour. Throw a chaos monkey into the equation, and you can have randoms selected from the naughty list banned appropriately, any time from anywhere from say, between 1 hour after their offence to 14 days after their offence. Do them individually, in blocks, whatever. Automated or manually approved, makes no difference.

Week in week out I watch bots and script kiddies probe our clients infrastructure for vulnerabilities. Sometimes we let our mitigation stack deal with it automatically, sometimes we watch and see what they're trying to achieve. It's all logged and indexed, graphed, geo-located, averaged; you name it. Nintendo's engineers will be enjoying the game; at least for now.

Whatever's happening right now, what I described in my last post is exactly what I know can be done, and what I'd do.

Reactions: SaffronXL

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the ban englobes all the accounts linked with the system or just the one that did the fun stuff?
It's a console ban, not an account ban. You can move your account to a new system and it should work online again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We may have found out why so many LayeredFS users are being banned (Apart from loading backups through it):

SciresM said:
Btw, I had assumed it went without saying -- if you're playing with unofficial builds of work in progress layeredfs stuff that is broken (and crashes frequently, consequentially), you shouldn't be anywhere near online and shouldn't even have online enabled. I use custom error codes for debugging, and if a report with one of those goes up to N's server from your console, you will almost certainly get banned from online. If you're concerned about that, don't use stuff until it's done.

In other words- LayeredFS has custom debug error codes which are sent to Nintendo's servers (along with the crash report). Once they find an error code which shouldn't exist - the ban hammer drops.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a console ban, not an account ban. You can move your account to a new system and it should work online again.

I'm pretty sure that if you got banned while using a nintendo ID account it should get banned too, along with the console, unless I'm missing something.
What I don't know is if the other accounts linked get banned too, which sounds like it doesn't happen

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone knows what 4008 error is? Some guy used LayerFS and got banned today but he can still play Fortnite. 4008 is the error code he got.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that if you got banned while using a nintendo ID account it should get banned too, along with the console, unless I'm missing something.
What I don't know is if the other accounts linked get banned too, which sounds like it doesn't happen

If it's like the 3DS - then there's 2 types of ban:
  • Console Ban - account remains safe
  • "Hyper Ban" - both console and linked account(s) are banned.
I think we're just seeing the straight forward Console Ban happening at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they escalate into a Hyper-Ban instead.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anyone knows what 4008 error is? Some guy used LayerFS and got banned today but he can still play Fortnite. 4008 is the error code he got.

He's been console banned and can't go Online as a result (Fortnite uses EPIC's servers not Nintendo's (but it still "bounces" off Nintendo's before connecting to EPIC's) - hence why he can still play Fortnite). LayeredFS is to blame because it's in alpha, and has custom error codes to aid in debugging - something Nintendo has obviously picked up on and banned as a result. SciresM mentioned not to use it at all (or while connected Online) and here we are...

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

Ordush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I’ve been using Hekate for emulators and lfs for Skyrim mods. Haven’t been terribly careful with airplane mode. Still able to play Paladins online. No pirated games no sx os. If CFW alone were enough to ban I’m pretty sure I’d have been bit.

It could also be that only people that were online when Nintendo checked got bit or something. May not be a perfect pattern to see.
What is Lfs? I want skyrim mods lol

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
all banwaves will do is encourage return fraud and/or disappointed people buying used/open boxed switches.
banning cheating is smart or atleast a net benifit to the existing switch community
banning piracy is not worth the trouble, because it only hurts people and/or themselves

Last edited by dude1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will...