WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm not sure where the false information came from that said the internal emulator of the SNES mini, Canoe, doesn't support PAL ROMs. I just loaded my EU SNES Mini with untouched PAL ROMs and they do all work just fine. Of course they're running slower at 50Hz. It seems what's going on here is that the US and EU SNES minis aren't exactly identical. They run a different "OS", "kernel" or whatever you call that that make them basically behave like actual SNES consoles as far as region detecting goes. A lot of untouched SNES ROMs do have a region check built in and when you try to play one of those with an out-of-region SNES Mini, you get a "this game pak is not designed for your system" error message. But since the region of PAL ROMs and the EU SNES Mini match, they work just fine. However if you attempt to run a region protected PAL ROM on a US SNES Mini, you most likely get the error message above. Conversely, if you attempt to run an NTSC ROM on an EU SNES Mini, you won't get to play it unless it doesn't have a region check or the region check is patched out.

Edit: Ignore the strike-through part. It seems my theory about the SNES minis having region differences in their OS is false. It seems their OS is identical apart from cosmetics.

So yeah, to sum it up:

EU & US SNES Mini:

PAL ROMs (region-protected): Won't work
PAL ROMs (region-free): Work
NTSC ROMs (region-protected): Work
NTSC ROMs (region-free): Work
JP ROMs (region-protected): Won't work
JP ROMs (region-free): Work

As a bonus, here is a documentation about the SNES ROM format in case you're interested.

Last edited by WiiUBricker,

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually Terranigma is specifically the game I had in mind. On some places the music runs faster than the video. It's hard to notice when you never played the original in 50Hz, though.
Game originally came out in Japan, so 60hz is the correct speed. A lot of developers at the time didn't know how to convert properly to 50hz without it seeming slower. I also have a question, is there any other PAL games worth playing?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Thoradin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Game originally came out in Japan, so 60hz is the correct speed. A lot of developers at the time didn't know how to convert properly to 50hz without it seeming slower. I also have a question, is there any other PAL games worth playing?

The Fireman and Theme Park

-The Fireman is an Action Adventure where you play as a Firefighter and Theme Park is an Excellent Port of the PC Classic.

Reactions: DarthDub

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure where the false information came from that said the internal emulator of the SNES mini, Canoe, doesn't support PAL ROMs. I just loaded my EU SNES Mini with untouched PAL ROMs and they do all work just fine. Of course they're running slower at 50Hz. It seems what's going on here is that the US and EU SNES minis aren't exactly identical. They run a different "OS", "kernel" or whatever you call that that make them basically behave like actual SNES consoles as far as region detecting goes. A lot of untouched SNES ROMs do have a region check built in and when you try to play one of those with an out-of-region SNES Mini, you get a "this game pak is not designed for your system" error message. But since the region of PAL ROMs and the EU SNES Mini match, they work just fine. However if you attempt to run a region protected PAL ROM on a US SNES Mini, you most likely get the error message above. Conversely, if you attempt to run an NTSC ROM on an EU SNES Mini, you won't get to play it unless it doesn't have a region check or the region check is patched out.

So yeah, to sum it up:

EU SNES Mini:

PAL ROMs (region-protected): Work
NTSC ROMs (region-protected): Won't work

US SNES Mini:

PAL ROMs (region-protected): Won't work
NTSC ROMs (region-protected): Work

As a bonus, here is a documentation about the SNES ROM format in case you're interested.

Thank you very much. We are glad to hear that.. We will be adding only EUROPE games when our EU SNES Mini arrive this Friday. :) Thanks so much. ::)

By the way, what games are NTSC ROMs (region-protected): Won't work ?? (Curiosity)

I'm not used to 50 Hz at all, I find it to slow =/

I grew up with SNES version of 60 Hz in America but 50 Hz doesnt bother me at all. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I believe it was because the games that come on snes mini are the NTSC releases for all models but japanese ones, as well as this being the case of SNES vc on new3ds, so people may think that PAL roms may not work for some reason. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and roms actually have the proper region set though

Sent from my 1DS with B9S using Discord Nitro

AlessioM88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
HI! I had the same problem, but only with hakchi2 2.21b. When I played hakchi previous version (2.20) I haven't that problem! Why?
For example: Goof Troop (E) didn't work on hakchi 2.20 but it works now with 2.21b
but games like Pinocchio, Sparkster and Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 worked before but DID NOT WORK ANYMORE! Why? This version should be better and more compatible, shouldn't it?
How can I fix that problem? Because before v.2.21 that games work!
I can even use ntsc roms but some (very rare) PAL roms are in my language ITALIAN! Or other are translated by fans in IT. Please help me!
I Have also retroarch but never used (I don't know exactly how to do but i installed these modules: "retroarch" and "snes9x 2100". I know i have to write a line for expert users (with " ..retroarch" at the end). But i want to fix with original snes emulator first! Help me! Thank you!

Last edited by AlessioM88,

AlessioM88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As far as I know hakchi2 patches PAL Roms automatically. Maybe thats why they are working....
Thanks for your answer. However that version worked before with hakchi 2.20. It don't work with hakchi 2.21b. Some person said me to try hakchi 2.21c that not patches automatically pal roms in ntsc. Before that, can you kindly try to launch Pinocchio (E) or Sparkster (E) , Donkey Kong Contry 2 (E), Donkey Kong Country 3 (E), Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (E) with hakchi 2.21 and tell me if they give you the same problem? thank you!

AlessioM88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Afaik hakchi does not patch PAL ROMs to NTSC. It does convert them to the WiiU VC format.
Can you help me to find out why some PAL roms like Pinocchio, DOnkey Kong. etc. worked fine on hakchi 2.20 but not with hakchi 2.21b ? Can you try that for me if you have that version? There's a new hakchi version now, 2.1c, maybe it can solve this?

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What's the best way to patch a pal Rom to 60hz if I want to play them in German? Or is it easyer to put the German localization into the US Rom?

AlessioM88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you help me to find out why some PAL roms like Pinocchio, DOnkey Kong. etc. worked fine on hakchi 2.20 but not with hakchi 2.21b ? Can you try that for me if you have that version? There's a new hakchi version now, 2.1c, maybe it can solve this?
Ok! I fix the problem! I used the new version hakchi 2.21c and fixes pal protection of these games :D
Now the compatibility is very huge, but for some game that doesn't work , please use the line " --retroarch" in game settings of hakchi to play that game using retroarch! You have to install retroarch modules first! In this way you can play ALL, NTSC PAL and Hacked roms! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro