Hacking PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3DS (partially) through new anti-piracy checks in their upcoming games

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't matter what it sounds like to you, I'm just stating facts. Sorry if you can't handle being wrong.

And yes, I also own a DSTwo and also legally own all my DS games. I apologize if that upsets your world-view.

It's not really a fact when you're lying, in which case I wouldn't be wrong unless proven otherwise. you're not the first to do it over here, some people (mainly kids) just feel the need to be seen in a positive light or to be seen as righteous because they care what random Internet people might think of them.

And no, I don't really care that much, your posts just stink of hypocrisy.

Reactions: Quantumcat

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy second hand things. And I sure as hell ain't gonna be paying large sums of money for a second hand and potentially bricked console.

Well, I'm not sorry for you not having any way to protect your funds from scam artists on the site. Maybe thats something your should look into before even attempting to buy anything online.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm not sorry for you not having any way to protect your funds from scam artists on the site. Maybe thats something your should look into before even attempting to buy anything online.

It doesn't take a scam artist to put a broken item for sale online and claim it's working.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about the capabilities of Gateway.

tarnowsky

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol this is kind of hilarious. So many people arguing over pointless this. What did they think would happen? Sky3DS would continue to work magically without any updates to the card? lmao. This is what happens when you buy a flashcard that uses features from the 3DS community instead of developing it themselves (too lazy or can't?) because once shit hits the fan for "their" card they won't be able to help it while Gateway proves they're capable.

The sad part about all of this, they will most likely need a new card and people will still buy it... Hopefully they would have the ability to update to their card this time around but if they're looking at it with cash in mind, chances are it won't so I definitely feel for those who bought Sky.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
What did they think would happen? Sky3DS would continue to work magically without any updates to the card? lmao. This is what happens when you buy a flashcard that uses features from the 3DS community instead of developing it themselves (too lazy or can't?) because once shit hits the fan for "their" card they won't be able to help it while Gateway proves they're capable.

If these AP checks have anything to do with the card then why do they only work on two new games? They must be software related meaning it's the ROM that needs to be "updated". Please read the OP of this thread. The cards are not banned or anything.

This is what happens when you buy a flashcard that uses features from the 3DS community instead of developing it themselves (too lazy or can't?) because once shit hits the fan for "their" card they won't be able to help it while Gateway proves they're capable.

If you said that to me in person, I would murder you.
What "features" from the "3DS community" does Sky3DS use?
All the card does is emulate a game card. Now, please explain to me what these "features" are.
And your last statement pisses me off more than anything. Let me explain this as clearly as possible.

GATEWAY - RUNS - ON - FIRMWARE - THAT - CAN - BE - EXPLOITED - EASILY.

SKY3DS - IS - FOR - PEOPLE - ON - THE - LATEST - FIRMWARE. - THE - LATEST - FIRMWARES - CANNOT - BE - EXPLOITED - AND - SO - GATEWAY - CAN - DO - MORE

The amount of Gateway Nazis is unbelievable.

Reactions: mary1517

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If these AP checks have anything to do with the card then why do they only work on two new games? They must be software related meaning it's the ROM that needs to be "updated". Please read the OP of this thread. The cards are not banned or anything.
...The AP checks have NOTHING to do with game software, but with game header (that you can't modify because it's signed).
Then it's the 3DS security processor that does the check. Check related with gamecard hardware.
Of course they can't extend this to old games because old games don't have "Gamecart v2" hardware.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
...The AP checks have NOTHING to do with game software, but with game header (that you can't modify because it's signed).
Then it's the 3DS security processor that does the check. Check related with gamecard hardware.
Of course they can't extend this to old games because old games don't have "Gamecart v2" hardware.

Which firmware version brought with it the AP check thing?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well the basic hardware communications would be pretty similar, the problem they will probably have is figuring out exactly how the responses are generated to the AP enquiry.....not that i know anything about it, but i would expect nintendo wouldn't make a HW revision for game cards without adding a major curveball that is really hard to figure out for the sky3DS devs

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
well the basic hardware communications would be pretty similar, the problem they will probably have is figuring out exactly how the responses are generated to the AP enquiry.....not that i know anything about it, but i would expect nintendo wouldn't make a HW revision for game cards without adding a major curveball that is really hard to figure out for the sky3DS devs

Well I hope they can bypass it so that these Gateway Nazis will shut up.

But if they think I'm going to buy another card then they can feck off.

Reactions: Ralph1611

Monodon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, they've hit a pretty big wall suggesting people to use third party products to play a game which Sky should be able to play. Imagine you paying $100 for Sky only to be told to use a CFW, now that's some deep shit irony right there lol :gba:
The sad part about all of this, they will most likely need a new card and people will still buy it... Hopefully they would have the ability to update to their card this time around but if they're looking at it with cash in mind, chances are it won't so I definitely feel for those who bought Sky.

Hmm, I payed like 69.99$ (70 some odd dollars with shipping) for my blue sky many months ago. It was the only choice for my owning an N3DSXL. I have Ninjhax and thusly access to every theme in existence, from every region, as well as wonderfully competent SNES, GBA, and GBC emulators. I can also play every single 3DS title that humanity has produced with relative ease at the click of a button and the insertion of a microsd reader. I can't Install .cia's, and it's shaping up like I'm going to be forced to actually pay for the select games I want that are released in the future, but I don't quite think it's exactly anything to cry over.

If they announced that they were releasing a new model it would require at least two of these three features for me to consider selling my current one for 3/4 the price and upgrading;
  1. It's updateable
  2. It can handle .cia's
  3. They replace the shitty button mechanic with something akin to the GW menu system
If they made a Gateway functional on 9.9+ of course, without a moment's hesitation I would replace my sky, but this likely isn't happening any time soon. Even if there where just a cfw that worked on the latest 9.9 I would be a happy camper.

Not to mention, how much longer do we actually think they will continue to produce 3DS Games? They're already moving on to another console in 2016 alone. It's a four year old handheld and the "new" 3DS iteration is likely it's final form. Look at the amalgam of shit that can be done with a regular DS these days, let alone on the 3DS just a few firmware updates ago. It wont be long before the amount of people working to exploit Nintendo's consoles greatly outnumbers those attempting to prevent exploitation (particularly those that are going to become relatively obsolete) .

Last edited by Monodon,

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You have some nice thoughts but there are some major flaws.
Basically what your asking is for a GW clone. Firstly you cant install .cia files because you would need kernel access for that and Sky doesnt rely on our "petty" kernel exploits, secondly you cant just make the shitty button mechanic on the Sky because again Sky doesnt rely on kernel exploits. The only way out of this is a kernel exploit above 9.6 which would allow them to see how the new AP works and make a new rev according to it. Now this could be possible with Ironhax if we could actually knew what the heck it does, but for the arguments sake lets just say they manage to RE the process and gain kernel access on 9.9. Now that right there could save Skys ass, BUT with the newly gained kernel exploit who in their right mind would choose a new rev of Sky over GW or potential future CFWs on 9.9. Either way theyre fucked.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
  1. It's updateable
  2. It can handle .cia's
  3. They replace the shitty button mechanic with something akin to the GW menu system

The only reason Sky3DS works is because it emulates a game card. The 3DS checks every game cartridge for non 3DS/DS game files trying to run (or something like that).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this means that numbers 2 and 3 are impossible. Number 1 is questionable. However, I don't know what there would be to update.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have some nice thoughts but there are some major flaws.
Basically what your asking is for a GW clone. Firstly you cant install .cia files because you would need kernel access for that and Sky doesnt rely on our "petty" kernel exploits, secondly you cant just make the shitty button mechanic on the Sky because again Sky doesnt rely on kernel exploits. The only way out of this is a kernel exploit above 9.6 which would allow them to see how the new AP works and make a new rev according to it. Now this could be possible with Ironhax if we could actually knew what the heck it does, but for the arguments sake lets just say they manage to RE the process and gain kernel access on 9.9. Now that right there could save Skys ass, BUT with the newly gained kernel exploit who in their right mind would choose a new rev of Sky over GW or potential future CFWs on 9.9. Either way theyre fucked.
So you think Ironhax has kernel? Haha.

Monodon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason Sky3DS works is because it emulates a game card. The 3DS checks every game cartridge for non 3DS/DS game files trying to run (or something like that).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this means that numbers 2 and 3 are impossible. Number 1 is questionable. However, I don't know what there would be to update.

Even if it just took less time to operate or was overall less clunky that would be fine, but indeed that sure as fuck wont happen.

I'm just saying we don't have all that much to complain about. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just made sure to purchase a 9.2 or lower N3DSXL, but I'm personally not bent out of shape about it enough to warrant selling my current 3DS and finding an old one, over just getting the sky.

If the sky isn't enough for someone, they have other options. If they are bent out of shape about it, they're probably taking a lot for granted and deserve being forced to actually purchase the next handful of releases that they so desperately need.

Last edited by Monodon,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password