Hacking PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3DS (partially) through new anti-piracy checks in their upcoming games

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm starting to get sick of Gateway users saying that people are stupid for buying a Sky3DS.

Why can't they understand that a Gateway card cannot work on FW over 4.5 and that the Sky3DS is the only option for people on FWs higher than 4.5?

Sky3DS doesn't use any exploit so it doesn't have the capabilities of Gateway.

Both cards run on different firmwares meaning different possibilities, making it impossible to fairly compare them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm starting to get sick of Gateway users saying that people are stupid for buying a Sky3DS.

Why can't they understand that a Gateway card cannot work on FW over 4.5 and that the Sky3DS is the only option for people on FWs higher than 4.5?

Both cards run on different firmwares meaning different possibilities, making it impossible to fairly compare them.
GW was updated to work at 4.x and 9.2, hence the uproar.

Orkna

Trophies
XP
Country

Gateway works up to 9.2

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh, well some people are on higher FWs than 9.2 and Sky3DS is, of course, their only option.
yeah and i dont think anyone has said "people who were on 9.3+ who bought a sky3ds are dumb", and tbh people who decided that they wanted to update to 9.3+ even though they were on 9.2 or lower....so be it, i don't care what people do with their 3DS, neither option is 100% future proof, but before this there was many people blindly claiming that sky3DS was invincible and that it would NEVER EVER EVER be blocked in any way shape or form

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah and i dont think anyone has said "people who were on 9.3+ who bought a sky3ds are dumb", and tbh people who decided that they wanted to update to 9.3+ even though they were on 9.2 or lower....so be it, i don't care what people do with their 3DS, neither option is 100% future proof, but before this there was many people blindly claiming that sky3DS was invincible and that it would NEVER EVER EVER be blocked in any way shape or form

And that was the issue, the invincible part that is.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not worried about not being able to play two particular games without having to purchase them because I've never heard of either of them. And who's to say every new game from now on won't be shite anyway?

If an interesting game does come out, it wouldn't make much of a dent in my wallet if I bought it.

People are taking the wonderful technology of Sky3ds for granted. The Sky3DS card costs like €80 (might be wrong) and I think 3DS games cost around €45 each.
You can get at least 600 3DS games for €80 but if you want a certain new game you're gonna have to buy it. I'd take that offer any day.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My strategy to go the Gateway path, is to sell my 3DS (With a game), to buy an exploitable 3DS so I can use Gateway happily ever after. Not many people even consider this and act like they're FORCED to use Sky3DS. Ever heard of the Gerber Life Plan? Well this is the "Gateway Plan".
If you know how to use sites like ebay, you can sell things for higher prices than Gamestop.

I literally sold my 3DS XL for $200, and bought an exploitable 3DS for $220. Just a $20 difference but so worth it! It was brand new, unused still in the box which is a plus.

This plan might not be accessable for everyone though, but it's definitely possible.

Orcastraw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My strategy to go the Gateway path, is to sell my 3DS (With a game), to buy an exploitable 3DS so I can use Gateway happily ever after. Not many people even consider this and act like they're FORCED to use Sky3DS. Ever heard of the Gerber Life Plan? Well this is the "Gateway Plan".
If you know how to use sites like ebay, you can sell things for higher prices than Gamestop.

I literally sold my 3DS XL for $200, and bought an exploitable 3DS for $220. Just a $20 difference but so worth it! It was brand new, unused still in the box which is a plus.

This plan might not be accessable for everyone though, but it's definitely possible.
This. So many people complain and ask when gateway will update, when it's stupidly easy to sell your current 3DS and buy an exploitable one. Gateway's cost like $60 or something so it's not like the extra $20 for upgrading to an exploitable version is hurting anyone...

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country

I don't buy second hand things. And I sure as hell ain't gonna be paying large sums of money for a second hand and potentially bricked console.

Gateway is basically the future, but as I said before buying a sky3ds right now is like so risky

Are you doing this on purpose after what I just said?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy second hand things. And I sure as hell ain't gonna be paying large sums of money for a second hand and potentially bricked console.

All (new as in unopened) Old 3DS consoles are exploitable. The example is still valid, but prices shift down by $50 (sell for $150, buy for $170).

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always check the seller's rep.

I'm not worried about not being able to play two particular games without having to purchase them because I've never heard of either of them. And who's to say every new game from now on won't be shite anyway?

If an interesting game does come out, it wouldn't make much of a dent in my wallet if I bought it.

People are taking the wonderful technology of Sky3ds for granted. The Sky3DS card costs like €80 (might be wrong) and I think 3DS games cost around €45 each.
You can get at least 600 3DS games for €80 but if you want a certain new game you're gonna have to buy it. I'd take that offer any day.
Sky3DS is invincible. Two new games are not.
There, there. No need to write reassurance posts to make yourself feel better. Everyone has made a stupid mistake when buying stuff at least once in their life :yay:

Last edited by Ericss,

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS is invincible. Two new games are not.

I'm with you. I've already gotten a ton of use out of the Sky3DS. This news only affects me when I actually buy a game that is incompatible (since I only use Sky3DS as a convenience thing). If and when that happens (and assuming there is no simple fix forthcoming) I'll just have to carry around 1 extra cart when I travel ... IF I happen to be playing the incompatible game. Not a big deal.

The strategy espoused here to just buy a lower firmware model may work for some, but I'm firmly in the New 3DS camp now that I've had one a while and can't imagine downgrading. As I like being on current firmware (to buy eShop stuff and avoid any real 'hacks') Sky3DS is basically my only option. I'm not saying it's better than Gateway, I'm just saying it's better for me.

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with you. I've already gotten a ton of use out of the Sky3DS. This news only affects me when I actually buy a game that is incompatible (since I only use Sky3DS as a convenience thing). If and when that happens (and assuming there is no simple fix forthcoming) I'll just have to carry around 1 extra cart when I travel ... IF I happen to be playing the incompatible game. Not a big deal.

The strategy espoused here to just buy a lower firmware model may work for some, but I'm firmly in the New 3DS camp now that I've had one a while and can't imagine downgrading. As I like being on current firmware (to buy eShop stuff and avoid any real 'hacks') Sky3DS is basically my only option. I'm not saying it's better than Gateway, I'm just saying it's better for me.
You're aware that GW works on N3DS and can access the eShop, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1