1. Rikua

Rikua Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It was already confirmed that the user was ONLINE in SX OS CFW when updating his games, this is the reason for the ban. Updating your backups via stock OFW seems to be safe as I have been doing just that and have been fine.

Albytrozz and lukhart like this.
  2. lukhart

lukhart GBAtemp Stand User

Brazil
    Yes, atm we didn't get a report of someone who only did this method and got banned. But it may happen soon, who knows.

Draxzelex likes this.
  3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I was not contending whether CFW or OFW was safe. I was stating that using TX is not all around safe. While users who have updated in OFW using backups loaded in CFW have not been banned yet, that can change if the Switch logs relevant information during CFW that gets transmitted in OFW.

EDIT: Like for example, users who were banned for using LayeredFS offline got banned after going online without using LayeredFS. This means something was captured within the Switch that got transmitted the moment they went online.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Peabutt and lukhart like this.
  4. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    stay away from DOOM it tries to log in at game start i haven't turned on my switch from ban start but i have unlinked/deleted my main nnid and create a generic profile w/o nnid do you think my NNID is safe if i've deleted it before a ban and implant it in a virgin switch?

5. crediar

crediar Possiblenator

Antarctica
    It's funny how everyone claims that layeredfs errors are logged, which they aren't.
    You can see for yourself. I must have had over 20 error trying stuff easily, yet nothing in the logs:
    IMG_20180622_224140.jpg

Friendsxix likes this.
  6. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    judgeing by past nintendo banning you nnid should be safe either way. Most of the time they handout consoles bans not account bans. account bans only happened when cheating online.

7. Masacci0

Masacci0 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Obviously logs and telemetry, said it million times to not tweak with that shit, people reporting errors after errors in their trial, all happy to backup loading, can't believe they didn't understand that all those errors are the clear example of what nintendo is searching for... and those are only the errors us plebs can see, can't imagine how many happens without us noticing.

But people responded: "well just enable the option to not send logs to nintendo"... lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah because those are the only logs nintendo is recording... can't imagine all the telemetry and logs we actually can't detect at this point.

I tend to believe to ScireM tho.

8. aos10

aos10 Yuuki chan

Saudi Arabia
    what? you mean pirating a game you are not suppose to have or modification to a game is the cause for the ban? who would guess that

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Its possible some people did not pay heed to it hence getting banned. There is also the possibility that this option does not block ALL errors from being sent to Nintendo. But we don't have the evidence to say one or the other for the time being.

10. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    This OP said he also received an cert error yet not ban, so with that in mind it's not clear cert error would mean flag for banhammer

11. lukhart

lukhart GBAtemp Stand User

Brazil
    And what exactly is that screen showing if not tons of error logs?

kamesenin888 likes this.
  12. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

Austria
    Some people reported that they disabled that option and still got banned. I guess it's not enough.

13. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Mali
    Do you think Nintendo could have planned this all along?
    I'm not sure they saw LayeredFS coming...

14. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

Puerto Rico
    Can you individually delete an error with devmenu?

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Given that it may not, Nintendo may be outright lying to us if that's the case. It still doesn't mean we deserve to be unbanned, but I find it questionable for them to add a feature that does not do what it says in the box. Maybe someone ought to try bringing that up in court and seeing where it goes.

16. Masacci0

Masacci0 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Don't think layeredfs in particular, but nowadays everything is logged and full of telemetry, phones too, i'm pretty sure nintendo knows everything about what we do in our device, and also pretty sure using the option to not send logs to ninty, does pretty nothing and just avoid sending what by law they can't send.

17. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

Austria
    If that option would really disable all logs from being been sent to nintendo, they would shoot themselves in the knee. That would be the easiest way ever to prevent a ban. Doesn't make sense imo.

18. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Mali
    Then we are not told/don't know the whole story. Maybe Nintendo is playing with people, maybe they're preparing for a massive banwave, maybe there's more to the individual bans that happened so far.
    AFAIK some people have done exactly the same things as those who claimed to be banned but are still not banned yet.

19. ehnoah

ehnoah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    LayerFS Cause ban if you get Crashes. If you mod, it should be save.

20. rad.i.kal

rad.i.kal GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you hacked it, its not safe, this is right

21. slicer2k

slicer2k Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    got banned right now. Haven't played anything online. as a matter of fact, my console was offline since yesterday. well i couldn't careless, hacked consoles aren't meant to online play.

Albytrozz and NANASHI89 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - LayeredFS, causing, Banwave