[PSA] LayeredFS is causing Banwave!!!

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by json, Jun 22, 2018.

1. json
    OP

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    The evidence is stacking up, and it is looking more and more that LayeredFS is the cause of the bans, not SX OS. People were just trying out SX OS lately because it is out just recently and blaming SX OS while they were getting banned. But Nintendo is just catching up now with the people that ran LayeredFS backups and banning those now.

I've been running SX OS 1.1 with self-dumped certs and my Switch is always online. Not banned at all. Everything still works online, can open eshop, play online tournaments, everything with own certs.
    Ran a public rom dump a few times that has no cert, and I got the error that you usually get with an invalid cert but that is not causing a ban, that just doesn't let you play online for that particular game. If you inject your own cert again you can play that game online again, no problem.

EDIT: I also have "Share Error Information" set to OFF in the System settings. This may help in not getting banned

Last edited by json, Jun 22, 2018
  2. GomiHiko

GomiHiko Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    To clarify: LayeredFS for backup loading?
    A lot of us are using it for mods.

jt_1258 likes this.
  3. json
    OP

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Don't know yet if it is due to mods or backup loading in LayeredFS. But I wouldn't count it out that it could be because of either. But if I would need to make a guess, I would say due to backup loading

4. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    They deliberately make the bans seem random so its hard to know for sure. My guess would be any mod is unsafe at the moment.

Trappie, peteruk and yuyuyup like this.
  5. lordhell

lordhell Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2006
    Brazil
    nope, there is people claiming that never used layeredfs, only used SX pro and still got banned.

For now, it's seems random. Even people who only made save mod on offline games got a ban.

Last edited by lordhell, Jun 22, 2018
  6. asnka

asnka GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2006
    Kazakhstan
    Post sources.plz

7. trOublie

trOublie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2007
    Brazil
    Well, I don't really know and no one knows for sure what is it, but I'll stay away from being online for a while.

My switch is offline since 4.1 was released and using SX OS for three days now. I did not mess with LFS/hekate/etc nothing.

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    No, people are getting banned without using LayeredFS and using only SX OS

9. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game

Mar 6, 2015
    France
    Morocco
    Not banned
    Been using sx os since day one
    Never used LFS

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Probably fake

10. halcyonknight

halcyonknight Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United States
    Definitely seems to be a bit random at the moment, I've only loaded backups through LayeredFS (including forgetting to turn airplane mode on for one session...) and I haven't been banned so far.

kikongokiller likes this.
  11. Traiver

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    United States
    ???
    People are getting banned either for backup loading or for the error log's causing LayeredFS.

12. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    As long as I use an offline game on airplane mode via layeredfs, I think I'm safe.

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you are going to say one user's report is fake, then all are at risk of being fake.

14. lukhart

lukhart GBAtemp Stand User

May 10, 2018
    Brazil
    Even doing this, you can still get banned when you go online

15. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    But how or where is it being logged?

16. lukhart

May 10, 2018
    Brazil
    To clarify: neither LayeredFS or SX OS are safe ATM. If you go online with either, be it with a backup game or not, you're at a risk

Draxzelex likes this.
  17. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    Dude it was only 1 person! he probably did something else or he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, other SX OS only users have not being banned

Last edited by kamesenin888, Jun 22, 2018
    NeoSlyde likes this.
  18. lukhart

May 10, 2018
    Brazil
    No one knows yet, but probably the logs are sent to Nintendo when you go online

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That we do not know. But there were users banned after being in Airplane mode using LayeredFS and got banned the moment they turned off the Airplane mode even without LayeredFS

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And? No one said Nintendo has stopped banning people. It just started today. The bans can keep coming as long as they want them to. You cannot make the assumption TX is safe at the moment.

lukhart likes this.
  20. AceVader0

AceVader0 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Judging by what I’ve seen so far, I’d say the safest way right now is using self-dumped backups (meaning, games with valid certificate) under SX 1.1

Any other method to run games is too suspicious log-wise. Specially games under SX 1.0 with no cert at all.

Anyway, as long as downloading updates is possible, I couldn’t care less about the banhammer.

UnrulyMess, mmajunkie77 and Rel like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted