• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tend to believe that people, in general, are good. I defended Gateway Team the first time around, hoping that perhaps their anti-clone measures were just poorly coded and were never meant to harm the end-user. Seeing that it's happening again, I'm not going to defend them twice - if I see convincing evidence that the fault is on Gateway's side, that's a huge red flag. It's not the end-user's fault that someone cloned their flashcart, the end-user shouldn't be the one paying for it with their system. I understand that the idea behind bricking the systems is to brick the 3DS'es belonging to the cloner's testing team, but the method *clearly* didn't work the first time around, why do it again?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to believe that people, in general, are good. I defended Gateway Team the first time around, hoping that perhaps their anti-clone measures were just poorly coded and were never meant to harm the end-user. Seeing that it's happening again, I'm not going to defend them twice - if I see convincing evidence that the fault is on Gateway's side, that's a huge red flag. It's not the end-user's fault that someone cloned their flashcart, the end-user shouldn't be the one paying for it with their system. I understand that the idea behind bricking the systems is to brick the 3DS'es belonging to the cloner's testing team, but the method *clearly* didn't work the first time around, why do it again?
The "end user" should have just bought an official Gateway card in the first place instead of shooting themselves in the foot for being cheap.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe supercard will shell out to repair or replace the bricked consoles of their own customers..................yeah right:rofl2:
They could always outsource the work, and reimburse the user.... NOT!!!

This report came from @shanefromoz. I would love a detailed report as to how it was triggered. I have been trying to brick a 3DS, and have tried both N3DS and O3DS. I am trying to confirm both bricks and the restore.

Last edited by hundshamer,
Reactions: gamesquest1

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The "end user" should have just bought an official Gateway card in the first place instead of shooting themselves in the foot for being cheap.
The end-user is not at fault, the cloners are. If Gateway wants to protect their code, maybe they should obfuscate it better. By killing off end-user systems, all they're doing is weeding out their possible future customers and giving themselves a bad name. If you want to eliminate clones, strike at the cloners with firmware updates that won't work on clone hardware, don't attack your own potential customers. If Nintendo started bricking systems that use flashcarts, everyone would be up in arms and you'd be at the front lines yelling "you deserved this"? No, of course not.

D

Deleted User

http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-12564-1-1.html

Genuine GW works fine, no bricks. End of story.

DSTWO+ is Supercard team's product. Supercard makes it, Supercard is responsible for their own product. If Supercard team decides to clone GW, this is again the fault of Supercard.
If Supercard's product bricks, again, it is Supercard's fault.

It does not matter what GW puts in their Launcher, as long as it works for genuine GW users, because that's what it is designed for.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

DSTWO+ is Supercard team's product. Supercard makes it, Supercard is responsible for their own product. If Supercard team decides to clone GW, this is again the fault of Supercard.

It does not matter what GW puts in their Launcher, as long as it works for genuine GW users, because that's what it is designed for.
Both teams are at fault. If Ford started mounting C4 bricks inside their radios that explode if you put the radio in a Volkswagen car, it's not the user's fault - the protection method was complete overkill.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-12564-1-1.html

He/She is also a member here. I tagged him/her, and hopefully he/she will respond.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Both teams are at fault. If Ford started mounting C4 bricks inside their radios that explode if you put the radio in a Volkswagen car, it's not the user's fault - the protection method was complete overkill.
....but
Gateway 3DS said:
we strongly urge to cease using this plugin and only use GENUINE Gateway! You have been warned!

people were warned :P

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sure as hell is especially if Ford and everyone's mother says not to do it. People who bought DSTWO+'s knew what they were getting themselves into when they bought the card.

D

Deleted User

The correct analogy would be the CAR would be destroyed.
And yes, if you connect radio's that are not volt compatible to a random car, it can be destroyed.

The user needs to read the proper manual when transferring radio's over to another car, otherwise you'd just say this was an idiot user that did not know how to transfer a radio properly.

---------

Put from another perspective, if Supercard or clones all developed their own Launcher.dat there would not be an issue with bricking. This issue would simply not exist.

Clones are 200% directly the cause for the existence of bricking code, and therefore the real culprit of the brick code. QED

Last edited by ,
Reactions: lemanuel

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It sure as hell is especially if Ford and everyone's mother says not to do it. People who bought DSTWO+'s knew what they were getting themselves into when they bought the card.
Disagreed. It'd literally be the end of Ford - they'd drown in a tidalwave of class action suits.
The correct analogy would be the CAR would be destroyed.
And yes, if you connect radio's that are not volt compatible to a random car, it can be destroyed.

The user needs to read the proper manual when transferring radio's over to another car, otherwise you'd just say this was an idiot user that did not know how to transfer a radio properly.
Car radios use standardized slots in order to allow third-parties to manufacture radios for specific car makes, much like slots on 3DS'es are standardized. You know what would be acceptable? If the cartridge just stopped working - no harm to the user. It's when you start harming the user that it becomes unacceptable conduct - I don't have a problem with protecting your code, but protect it in a non-destructive fashion. Freeze the system randomly, but don't brick it - that's insane.
people were warned :P
Maybe I should implement a kill-switch in Sky Army Knife if you make templates for QQ3DS with it and not a Sky, right? I promise I'll warn users before I format their C:\ drives - I swear! ;O;

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disagreed. It'd literally be the end of Ford - they'd drown in a tidalwave of class action suits.
Car radios use standardized slots in order to allow third-parties to manufacture radios for specific car makes, much like slots on 3DS'es are standardized. You know what would be acceptable? If the cartridge just stopped working - no harm to the user. It's when you start harming the user that it becomes unacceptable conduct - I don't have a problem with protecting your code, but protect it in a non-destructive fashion. Freeze the system randomly, but don't brick it - that's insane.
And yet here we are Gateway is still king and Super cards reputation has been muddied and will forever be known as the card that will brick your 3DS.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well its not really "DESTROOOYYYYED", you just need to take it to your local garage to have it repaired or repair it yourself if your technically able, its really the equivalent of someone wiring their own radio's in a way that will blow the battery if you plug it into a different model car, it doesn't destroy the system it breaks one specific part which is easily repairable (in the right hands)....and shipping them with a label saying "warning do not use this radio with other cars".......but then another card maker decides "wait there i can sell my car with a ford radio because i cba making my own.....psssh whats this warning, i wont concern my customers with that i just want their money"

Last edited by gamesquest1,
D

Deleted User

The very first launchers did just that. They simply did not work with clones.

Clone users would simply wait for the cloners to fix the Launcher or their clone device and were happy to gloat about having a cheaper device with the same features.
But after the 10th time that clones fixed the issue or released a "propered" Launcher, that's when Gateway decided it was enough and did something more drastic.

Your proposed solution simply does not work as a real deterrent

Last edited by ,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And yet here we are Gateway is still king and Super cards reputation has been muddied and will forever be known as the card that will brick your 3DS.
There's no shortage of users who call it BrickWay now - all this could've been avoided if only they weren't massive d*ckheads. It's also terrible timing for them considering the fact that Sky3DS is releasing the Plus now.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
install wii files on a vwii you brick it ,,, reason being , installing files designed for another piece of hardware... gateway are protecting their asset.. fair play to them. If people want to stand on the shoulders of giants they better have good balance.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no shortage of users who call it BrickWay now - all this could've been avoided if only they weren't massive d*ckheads. It's also terrible timing for them considering the fact that Sky3DS is releasing the Plus now.
People call it Brickway as a joke just like how they say 9.6+ will come soon™ if you have a real card you won't brick it's that simple and Sky does not affect their business at all Sky3DS is for those unfortunate souls who are stuck on 9.3+ and have no choice but to buy it.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The very first launchers did just that. They simply did not work with clones. Clone users would simply wait for the cloners to fix the Launcher or their clone device and were happy to gloat about having a cheaper device with the same features.
But after the 10th time that clones fixed the issue or released a "propered" Launcher, that's when Gateway decided it was enough and did something more drastic. Your proposed solution simply does not work as a real deterrent
And they shouldn't have, because guess what? Cloners fixed that too. How do I know that? Because they've done it before and yet we're having this conversation about the DSTwo+. The launcher will get "propered" again, there's just a couple more broken 3DS'es out there. Their "drastic" method isn't helping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ i did know that actually
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much