PS5 to be backward compatible with over 4000 PS4 games but some "may exhibit errors"

PS5.JPG

Sony revealed in a post today that the PS5 will be backward compatible with "the overwhelming majority" of PS4 games; meaning over 4000 titles. Some of these will benefit from the PS5's Game Boost feature which could improve the original game with higher or smoother frame rate. The company also confirmed the compatibility of the PlayStation VR headset and PS VR games which will require, in addition to the headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required).

However, the console maker also mentioned limitations regarding this backward compatibility. For one, the post mentions that some functionalities available on the PS4 might not be available on the PS5. Additionally, Sony writes that some PS4 games "may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles". The company did not clarify which games will be affected by those issues nor what these issues are specifically.

Moreover, Sony did list 10 games which will only be playable on the PS4 and not on its next-gen console. These games will feature a ‘Playable on: PS4 only’ tag on the PlayStation Store. You can find a list of those PS4-only games below:
  • DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner
You can find more details regarding transferring digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console and installing PS4 games on the upcoming console in the official post linked in the source below.

:arrow: SOURCE

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wasn't the PS5 initially lacking backwards compatibility, then they had to offer it as Microsoft demolished them in every area? (Sounds fanboyish, but this statement us true, I think Sony were outplayed in every single area).

Now they're backtracking on that? PS4 games shouldn't require much, if any work, to function.

They'll have to explain themselves at some point though, they're on the back foot.

I'm sure they'll still sell a lot of PS5's, the brand is still strong, but I fully expect the Xbox to have much larger sales this gen. It'll be interesting to see how Sony deal with this (likely pressured to make even better exclusives- acknowledging they have this gen)
No, actually this is not true.
I guess you caught on some rumour long ago and believed it to be true.
Sony never stated PS4 backwards compatibility was not available. It was part of the system since it was designed.

Misinformation really sucks.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, actually this is not true.
I guess you caught on some rumour long ago and believed it to be true.
Sony never stated PS4 backwards compatibility was not available. It was part of the system since it was designed.

Misinformation really sucks.

Misinformation certainly does such. I was fairly sure Sony had confirmed no backwards compatibility, maybe it was only the PS4, maybe I'm just wrong.

It certainly would make more sense, porting PS3 games would require work, PS4 should require little to none.

PS1 and PS2 games should work also, as the eorks ready done and they have the emulator built for previous gens, shouldn't even need anything done.

I'm guessing they don't want to include but knave out PS3. Or perhaps they want to hold them back for PSNow, which seems doubtful.

Last edited by yoyoyo69,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?