PS5 SSD controller issues

Kibbutz90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
Hi everyone, for this christmas i was tempted to buy a new ps5 (i don't have one right now), i was searching for some black friday deals to see if there was some good discounts but i'm concerned about the soldered ssd. I saw some repair videos on youtube where some people had to replace the ssd controller because it failed and i was wondering if it's a common issue or a "rare" one.

Adam512

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'm going to sleep now, so I'll try to answer as quickly and clearly as possible, but unfortunately I'm almost asleep, so hopefully you'll understand :D

I've read a lot about it recently and it depends a lot on your way of using it, but in general it could be said that for a normal player who will follow the right ways, the internal SSD should last approx. 7-10 years, which is the lifespan of one generation, but it can last even more .

in simple terms, every SSD has a lifespan and usually this lifespan is given in TBW (total number of data that can be written, in Terabytes). In most cases, the drive will last much longer than the paper TBW value. Cheap disks have around 160TBW on paper, modern disks around 2500TBW. I didn't find out exactly what the PS5's TBW value is on the Internet, someone writes 300 and someone 600.. Someone else wrote 190. We will assume that the TBW is 300 for the PS5 console. This value is in ideal conditions (empty disk) and the less free space the worse... (principle of how SSD works, data written on a cell wears out by overwriting and therefore it is ideal to spread the wear over the entire disk and not just on a small part). So, for example, if you had a 600GB disk and had 5 x 100GB games on the SSD (permanently), and then you would install and uninstall the rest of the games, the SSD would last much, much less than if you had, for example, one game permanently and then you would install and uninstall the games just as often. Imagine that the less free space the less balanced transcripts and in other words less TBW.

It's simply true that if you have, for example, a half-full disk, it's much better than if you had a forever full disk and searched every GB to be able to install an update to the game.. then the SSD would go away very quickly.

So if you're a normal player and you won't have a full disk forever, you don't have to worry. Consider that a quality game can have around 100GB. Someone on reddit calculated that if you wrote 100GB of data every day, the SSD would last about 7 years. D

Recommendation:

1) It is highly recommended to use an external nvme disk to reduce the wear on the internal disk. maybe one day sony will allow installing the system on an external drive in ps5 but i doubt it because sony.

2) PS4 games can be installed on a USB HDD, but I'm not sure if a jailbreak is needed for that (this also saves rewriting)

3) Sony also automatically records an hour of recording to the disk, nonstop.. In the settings, this function cannot be turned off, in the settings you can only set the quality as FullHD, 4K, etc.. this also wears out the disk a bit, if you do not need this function, I recommend at least reducing the quality so that a larger amount of data is not overwritten unnecessarily.

4) The function from the previous step can possibly be modified in the debug settings (jailbreak).. the Share and Recording Capture Target option, but I don't know if it works because I haven't tested it. If it worked, Sony would store the data, for example, on a USB flash drive and this would again save the internal SSD.

I hope I explained it a little, in general it shouldn't be a problem if you always keep about half of the free space... nvme ssd disk is highly recommended. By the way, I don't know if you are interested in jailbreak, but I recommend reading the forum here, where you will have a lot of new information. It's good for JB to buy the OG Konzoli and not update. There will be a PS5 Pro for Christmas next year, so also consider if you don't want to wait for a more powerful variant of the PS5.

Kibbutz90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
I'm going to sleep now, so I'll try to answer as quickly and clearly as possible, but unfortunately I'm almost asleep, so hopefully you'll understand :D

I've read a lot about it recently and it depends a lot on your way of using it, but in general it could be said that for a normal player who will follow the right ways, the internal SSD should last approx. 7-10 years, which is the lifespan of one generation, but it can last even more .

in simple terms, every SSD has a lifespan and usually this lifespan is given in TBW (total number of data that can be written, in Terabytes). In most cases, the drive will last much longer than the paper TBW value. Cheap disks have around 160TBW on paper, modern disks around 2500TBW. I didn't find out exactly what the PS5's TBW value is on the Internet, someone writes 300 and someone 600.. Someone else wrote 190. We will assume that the TBW is 300 for the PS5 console. This value is in ideal conditions (empty disk) and the less free space the worse... (principle of how SSD works, data written on a cell wears out by overwriting and therefore it is ideal to spread the wear over the entire disk and not just on a small part). So, for example, if you had a 600GB disk and had 5 x 100GB games on the SSD (permanently), and then you would install and uninstall the rest of the games, the SSD would last much, much less than if you had, for example, one game permanently and then you would install and uninstall the games just as often. Imagine that the less free space the less balanced transcripts and in other words less TBW.

It's simply true that if you have, for example, a half-full disk, it's much better than if you had a forever full disk and searched every GB to be able to install an update to the game.. then the SSD would go away very quickly.

So if you're a normal player and you won't have a full disk forever, you don't have to worry. Consider that a quality game can have around 100GB. Someone on reddit calculated that if you wrote 100GB of data every day, the SSD would last about 7 years. D

Recommendation:

1) It is highly recommended to use an external nvme disk to reduce the wear on the internal disk. maybe one day sony will allow installing the system on an external drive in ps5 but i doubt it because sony.

2) PS4 games can be installed on a USB HDD, but I'm not sure if a jailbreak is needed for that (this also saves rewriting)

3) Sony also automatically records an hour of recording to the disk, nonstop.. In the settings, this function cannot be turned off, in the settings you can only set the quality as FullHD, 4K, etc.. this also wears out the disk a bit, if you do not need this function, I recommend at least reducing the quality so that a larger amount of data is not overwritten unnecessarily.

4) The function from the previous step can possibly be modified in the debug settings (jailbreak).. the Share and Recording Capture Target option, but I don't know if it works because I haven't tested it. If it worked, Sony would store the data, for example, on a USB flash drive and this would again save the internal SSD.

I hope I explained it a little, in general it shouldn't be a problem if you always keep about half of the free space... nvme ssd disk is highly recommended. By the way, I don't know if you are interested in jailbreak, but I recommend reading the forum here, where you will have a lot of new information. It's good for JB to buy the OG Konzoli and not update. There will be a PS5 Pro for Christmas next year, so also consider if you don't want to wait for a more powerful variant of the PS5.
Thanks for your clear answer, are you sure it's not the opposite? I mean, i know that TBW stands for TeraByteWritten, so technically if i install and uninstall games often it should wear earlier than leaving it quite full and installing only updates (normally an update is less gb than a game), but i'm not that expert in that. I was already thinking of buying a 8tb m2 nvme to keep al the games installed and leave the internal ssd totally empty and i'm not really interest in jailbreaks anymore (the last jailbroken console is the ps3) so i'm trying to understand what's the best thing to do right now. I never bought a ps5 for this reason honestly, neither an xbox series x/s for the same reason.
Post automatically merged:

Anyone knows if the slim has the same problem? I know for sure that they changed che memory chip, now they are less and with larger capacity, maybe they changed even the controller? I really want to buy i ps5 but i also don't want it to die prematurely lol

Last edited by Kibbutz90,

Adam512

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
yes i'm sure If, let's say, the disk was permanently filled to 90% and the rest of the percentage would be other entries (such as automatic entries, etc.), then the lifetime would drop from the original 300TBW to only 30TBW. SSD disk/systems have algorithms that try to spread the wear over the entire area, but if the area is simply 10%, even those algorithms won't do any miracles. As you write, it's best to write something down and have it for a long time or just for updates, but you simply need to have an area (free space) to spread the wear and tear, if you understand me.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about the lifespan of an SSD, and if you have an nvme disk, then not at all - it will be decades and something other than the ssd will fail sooner in console

Someone's ssd disk breaks down exceptionally, and in my opinion mainly because you reduced the TBW yourself (by not having a good distribution of the area (free space) because the disk was still full of the same data). I saw two videos on the Internet that a repairman also changed the SSD on the board, once he succeeded and once he failed... so maybe the SSD on the board can be replaced, but it will be a long time before the SSD fails, if ever, and they will costs in addition that one prefers to buy a new console of the new next generation.

PS: I also hope that next time they will put a slot for nvme disc because external discs are better but also more expensive and also have a longer life... Our discs are simply better as in PS4 for system.

Last edited by Adam512,

Kibbutz90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
yes i'm sure If, let's say, the disk was permanently filled to 90% and the rest of the percentage would be other entries (such as automatic entries, etc.), then the lifetime would drop from the original 300TBW to only 30TBW. SSD disk/systems have algorithms that try to spread the wear over the entire area, but if the area is simply 10%, even those algorithms won't do any miracles. As you write, it's best to write something down and have it for a long time or just for updates, but you simply need to have an area (free space) to spread the wear and tear, if you understand me.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about the lifespan of an SSD, and if you have an nvme disk, then not at all - it will be decades and something other than the ssd will fail sooner in console

Someone's ssd disk breaks down exceptionally, and in my opinion mainly because you reduced the TBW yourself (by not having a good distribution of the area (free space) because the disk was still full of the same data). I saw two videos on the Internet that a repairman also changed the SSD on the board, once he succeeded and once he failed... so maybe the SSD on the board can be replaced, but it will be a long time before the SSD fails, if ever, and they will costs in addition that one prefers to buy a new console of the new next generation.

PS: I also hope that next time they will put a slot for nvme disc because external discs are better but also more expensive and also have a longer life... Our discs are simply better as in PS4 for system.
I guess then i will buy a ps5 slim and a 8tb nvme and leave the internal just for saves and console updates. It's a bit of a waste but i prefer nt using the internal ssd instead of seeing the controller dead and an unusable console.

The consoles with an ssd failure doesn't boot normally, they try to boot and when the white light come up it shut off itself. The problem here is not the ssd itself but the controller, so maybe the ps5s with an ssd fault is caused by a defective or non optimal ssd controller instead of a wrong console usage. But unfortunately we'll never know for sure.

Reactions: myfranco

Kibbutz90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
Yes, that's rare CXD90062GG dead/corrupted and it would happen like other capacitor or IC in electronic world due to quality or design, way before and nothing to do with SSD lifespan.
As i suspected, so independently how i use it i should be fine i guess. That's still a bummer tho, i still prefer the non soldered storage solution to be honest.

I don't understand why Sony doesn't simply allow to install the system software on the m2 slot drive. You'll lose some free space, but at least you can recover your console and that is more important ihmo.

Reactions: jkyoho

myfranco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I guess then i will buy a ps5 slim and a 8tb nvme and leave the internal just for saves and console updates. It's a bit of a waste but i prefer nt using the internal ssd instead of seeing the controller dead and an unusable console.

The consoles with an ssd failure doesn't boot normally, they try to boot and when the white light come up it shut off itself. The problem here is not the ssd itself but the controller, so maybe the ps5s with an ssd fault is caused by a defective or non optimal ssd controller instead of a wrong console usage. But unfortunately we'll never know for sure.
I have exactly the same problem. I was playing A.C. Mirage and the game crashed. I restarted, got to PS Logo and fell into black screen. It turned off in about a minute after that. I tried all the options in Safe Mode i.e. Default settings, reset system, reset PS5 and they all work fine except Rebuild database, clean cache, change resolution. When i try those, it's black screen.

I turn PS5 on. It gets to PS Logo, it's usually blinking blue light but rarely get to white light. It fall into black screen and turns off in a minute. I strongly believe it's SSD Controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's the Florida meth