PS5 1116A strange noise in game

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a PS5 with strange noise while in game. At the homescreen everything is fine. In game I can hear a clicking noise like on old hdds. Depending on the screen/menu/cutscenes it changes.

Here I mad a short clip:

I replaced the PSU and tried without fan. But it doesn`t change anything.

Any ideas where I should take a closer look?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the PSU, nothing wrong with it exactly, it's just coil whine (amongst other things probably). That's why replacing the PSU didn't fix it, both PSU's will be fine.

It's annoying but it can go away with time. I recently shell swapped a ps4 pro where the psu never made an audible sound, I gave it a quick clean out while I had it open and ever since then the damn thing won't shut up whining like that when certain games are played.

It's changing depending on different menu's, scenes and just general stuff on screen because of the different wattage requirements for each scene, like it's revving up and down depending on how much power it needs.

Some people get lucky and have PSU without whine, or less of it. That and the APU itself could also be making some noise too, happens on my laptop but normally can only hear it in quiet environments, especially the GPU when pushing it. I assume the same thing could be happening here.

So yeah it's normal, nothing to worry about unless your PSU actually starts failing, but hey at least you have a spare now.
(Either that, or this is the part where someone tells me I'm totally wrong and makes me look real stupid haha)

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's the PSU, nothing wrong with it exactly, it's just coil whine (amongst other things probably). That's why replacing the PSU didn't fix it, both PSU's will be fine.

It's annoying but it can go away with time. I recently shell swapped a ps4 pro where the psu never made an audible sound, I gave it a quick clean out while I had it open and ever since then the damn thing won't shut up whining like that when certain games are played.

It's changing depending on different menu's, scenes and just general stuff on screen because of the different wattage requirements for each scene, like it's revving up and down depending on how much power it needs.

Some people get lucky and have PSU without whine, or less of it. That and the APU itself could also be making some noise too, happens on my laptop but normally can only hear it in quiet environments, especially the GPU when pushing it. I assume the same thing could be happening here.

So yeah it's normal, nothing to worry about unless your PSU actually starts failing, but hey at least you have a spare now.
(Either that, or this is the part where someone tells me I'm totally wrong and makes me look real stupid haha)

I placed a cable between PSU and motherboard to see where the noise is comming from and it is not from the PSU.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I placed a cable between PSU and motherboard to see where the noise is comming from and it is not from the PSU.
Well if you're absolutley certain that it's not the psu, then the only other thing I can think of would be the APU like I mentioned.
But that definitely sounds a lot like coil whine from high power usage.

When you close the game fully (not just return to home) does the sound stop? Also did you notice the sound is either different, or not as noticeable in other games? You could shift the position of the ps5 and see if that makes any discernible difference.

See this video for a more detailed explanation of what I'm talking about, and how it sounds so much like the issue you are having, it only happens to him when in game too. This guy tears open his psu while it is running which is really dangerous even if you know what you are doing so don't try that unless you understand the risks. (I know that is for a ps4, but the issue is present in both consoles)

TL'DR of his video, reflowing a bunch of components on the psu fixed the issue as the noise was potentially related to dry solder joints.

Now you're positive it's not psu related but I just wanted to share that for reference as it's a pretty interesting video.
So if it's not the psu then there's nothing you can do about it afaik.

Last edited by Rasa39,
Reactions: stetofix

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interesting video.
I will see, if I can get hand on an osci.
My guess in my case the problem lays in the power suppling ciruits on the mainboard. But I will check this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!