PS4: Sony Will Let Microsoft Make First Move

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PS1 started a trend of 3D capable consoles. It wasn't meant to compete with the snes, it was meant to crush the snes. :P (Although the snes managed to survive due to lacking games in earlier PS1 life and those DKC + special chips games)
The SNES managed to survive because by that time, everybody and their dog had a SNES, so it had massive developer support. That soon changed though.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The SNES managed to survive because by that time, everybody and their dog had a SNES, so it had massive developer support. That soon changed though.

But it's undeniable that DKC left quite an impression in gamers of the time. Heck it was even graphically better than many early 2d ps1 games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well this is going to be interesting.
It really won't - it's going to be another one of those "Nintendo is the only true innovator in the industry, Sony plays it cool because they want to steal ideas" kind of threads we had here a zillion times already.

But it's undeniable that DKC left quite an impression in gamers of the time. Heck it was even graphically better than many early 2d ps1 games.

Well yeah, DK pushed the sprite-based platformer genre to the next level by using pre-rendered graphics, I'm not questioning that. :)

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course i agree with the over price system but it also has a built in blue-ray player that my own self find useful.Plus having to constantly buy xbox live would be a pain -__- Lets just see how well ps4 will do.

D

Deleted_171835

of course i agree with the over price system but it also has a built in blue-ray player that my own self find useful.Plus having to constantly buy xbox live would be a pain -__- Lets just see how well ps4 will do.
I can concur that Xbox Live is a fucking ripoff. Hell I just found out at a friends house that to play multiplayer or use Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Video or even the goddamn internet browser (all apps free on the PS3/Wii U), you need a Gold subscription. All this time, I thought that these basic functions were free and that you paid for other extras

The only reason Microsoft continues to charge for this stuff is because people still pay for Xbox Live. And sadly, that doesn't look like it'll change any time soon.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They won't copy or steal or "improve upon" or rip off or call it what you like any specific peripheral or control scheme, they will just adjust the CPU/GPU power/speed to be on par with Microsoft's box. Launching first is always a risk: if the console is too powerful and expensive, it won't sell. If it's too weak, it will be easily overtaken and rendered obsoleteby the competition. Launch second and all you need to do is match the main competitor's power and then fight them on other fronts (peripherals, services and exclusives). And I'm not sure Sony can afford a slow start like they did with the PS3.

EDIT: Odds are the next Playstation will be using off the shelf components and not custom developed processors.

BlackWizzard17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can concur that Xbox Live is a fucking ripoff. Hell I just found out at a friends house that to play multiplayer or use Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Video or even the goddamn internet browser (all apps free on the PS3/Wii U), you need a Gold subscription. All this time, I thought that these basic functions were free and that you paid for other extras

The only reason Microsoft continues to charge for this stuff is because people still pay for Xbox Live. And sadly, that doesn't look like it'll change any time soon.
Exactly, i mean why pay to play online or pay for any internet feature.i thought that's the reason we bought the system its self.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure if this is true or another Sony smoke screen.... Trying to lull the competition in a false sense of security?

To be honest my gut feeling is that Sony just doesn't have enough cash to launch a new console right now and needs to get some more money out of the PS3 before moving on...

BlackWizzard17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure if this is true or another Sony smoke screen.... Trying to lull the competition in a false sense of security?

To be honest my gut feeling is that Sony just doesn't have enough cash to launch a new console right now and needs to get some more money out of the PS3 before moving on...
I heard microsoft didnt have enough money to produce the chips needed for the next-box

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They won't copy or steal or "improve upon" or rip off or call it what you like any specific peripheral or control scheme, they will just adjust the CPU/GPU power/speed to be on par with Microsoft's box. Launching first is always a risk: if the console is too powerful and expensive, it won't sell. If it's too weak, it will be easily overtaken and rendered obsoleteby the competition. Launch second and all you need to do is match the main competitor's power and then fight them on other fronts (peripherals, services and exclusives). And I'm not sure Sony can afford a slow start like they did with the PS3.
Well, yes, that's true.

If they learned anything from their CELL issues, they're going to build a very basic and streamline console with a design that would allow them to "upgrade" even soon before the release. Bless'em if they don't overcomplicate their hardware this time around, and judging from the PSVita which contains hardly any "custom" parts, perhaps that's their direction.

I think you heard wrong. Microsoft has tons of money...
I think he may have meant the gaming division which isn't doing all that great as of late, but that's not a problem for Microsoft.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well guess what, X360 launched first and it cost them in the UK. UK is all X360 land, Sony lost that brand power over here. It's like a community, if you want to play with your friends online like fifa or COD, then you have to get what's popular that enables to play with your friends.

M$ will win over again if that's the case.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well guess what, X360 launched first and it cost them in the UK. UK is all X360 land, Sony lost that brand power over here. It's like a community, if you want to play with your friends online like fifa or COD, then you have to get what's popular that enables to play with your friends.

M$ will win over again if that's the case.
I've been to the UK several times and I can confirm that it is indeed 360 Land over there, but I don't think the PS4 had any chances whatsoever of changing that anyways unless Microsoft went "derp" and decided to release their console Winter 2015 or something. They'd really have to spectacularly fail at some crucial factor of the new console and/or its infrastructure to lose that kind of brand loyalty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly