PS4: Sony Will Let Microsoft Make First Move

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Valwin, Jan 21, 2013.

Jan 21, 2013
  1. Valwin
    OP

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    [​IMG]

"
    Why innovate when you can just copy

if they are going to wait for microsoft them ps4 could be still be very fay away
    Source

LightyKD likes this.

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    But didn't Sony make "the first Move"?

3. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    exactly what i thought

the ps4 probably won't sell well, but i'm buying it regardless the scores/opinions

4. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    In B4 the GBAtemp userbase display their immaturity.

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Sounds like Sony and Microsoft are just an Ennio Morricone song away from a good old-fashioned Mexican standoff.

Also - taking bets! Who breaks down first? How many pages until thread implosion? Put your money on the table, folks!

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"
    Because high powered consumer computer products in 2013 are knocked out in over the course of a lazy summer?

Anyhow I imagine what marginal distinctions there were between the PS3 and 360 will come to even less the next go around. With that in mind letting MS have another headstart.... not the move I would make.

Veho likes this.
  7. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    As long as neither Sony, nor Microsoft, consider using a tablet as a controller to be "innovative"...I'll probably buy one or both of their products. Leave the gimmicks at the door and just give me a multi-functional console and some decent games.

8. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

Then again, Sony did go first during PS2 era, which robbed all the attention from Dreamcast.

BAHIM Z 360 likes this.
  9. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    I don't think that any game company could substantially change his next console in a short period of time based on what others do. These projects needs research and development... it takes time. At this point, I believe both Microsoft and Sony are in the final stages of development (at least they should, I guess), so it's unlikely for them to change the main course of the console.

Or could it be that Sony is waiting for Microsoft just to decide the price point?

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  10. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    As if our userbase ever had any maturity to begin with... :P

11. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Nice to know that people are starting to understand what I have been saying since 1997. Sony is just a bunch of copycats! Of course all the Sony drones will shout to the rooftops about innovation once Sony steals yet another idea. Meh! Life goes on. The only good I see out of this is that the PS3 is still a fairly capable console and honestly, it makes no sense to start "next gen" now. Especially when to the mass consumer, there wont be that much of a jump in visual power.

12. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Although this is true, there has been some cases where companies did this, biggest example is Sega with the Saturn when they heard of the Playstation and decided to make some changes to allow the Saturn to have better 3D graphics just a year before release. Nintendo also rushed the super nintendo to compete with the mega drive, in this case at least Nintendo was succesful.

As developing consoles got more expensive, companies are now unwilling to rush or change a product's especification in the last "minute" but maybe Sony have a card up their sleeve like a new type of controller or feature that could be easily mimicked without needing to change a console's architecture at all.

NahuelDS likes this.
  13. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Yeah because making the first move hasn't been a successful strategy before right?
    PS1, PS2 *hint hint*

xwatchmanx likes this.
  14. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Oh Sony, Sony, Sony. When will you learn the meaning of the word "plaigirism" ? :teach:

PS. This time be careful where you leave your keys.

PPS. To save other people's time and effort, simply post all your PSN subscribers personal data online when they sign up.

15. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    True, but you could make an argument that the PS1 was AFTER the SNES (and competed with it for a few years), and the PS2 was AFTER the Dreamcast (and competed with it for a year or two).

Eerpow likes this.
  16. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    In the end they competed against the N64 and GC and resulted to be more profitable despite coming out first.

gamefan5 likes this.
  17. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    > Sony says they'll wait and see what the competition comes up with so that they can come up with better solutions (aka "innovate", come up with something different and/or improve their current project)
    > Rarara copycats!

I won't even bother this time, I'll let the thread die on its own. The level of misinterpretation of everyday English expressed here is gargantuan.

Tom Bombadildo, gamefan5 and Gahars like this.
  18. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Why make a post based on realistic development cycles when you can just fling mud? Unless you're talking years difference it has no impact.

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    That's a stupid decision. They already gave the Wii U a headstart. Letting the Durango release before you and get a foot hold in the market will be the final nail in the coffin.

The Xbox now has incredible brand power and will sell shitloads while the Playstation Brand has lost a lot of trust from consumers over this past generation. I just hope that for the PS4, we get PS2-era Sony instead of shitty-ass $599-era Sony.

xwatchmanx and RodrigoDavy like this.
  20. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    PS1 started a trend of 3D capable consoles. It wasn't meant to compete with the snes, it was meant to crush the snes. :P (Although the snes managed to survive due to lacking games in earlier PS1 life and those DKC + special chips games)