The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16lfr43.jpg

You may have noticed that there are lots of rumours flying about regarding next-gen consoles. No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveil their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?
"
Why innovate when you can just copy

if they are going to wait for microsoft them ps4 could be still be very fay away
Source

Reactions: LightyKD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"
Because high powered consumer computer products in 2013 are knocked out in over the course of a lazy summer?

Anyhow I imagine what marginal distinctions there were between the PS3 and 360 will come to even less the next go around. With that in mind letting MS have another headstart.... not the move I would make.

Reactions: Veho

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as neither Sony, nor Microsoft, consider using a tablet as a controller to be "innovative"...I'll probably buy one or both of their products. Leave the gimmicks at the door and just give me a multi-functional console and some decent games.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

Then again, Sony did go first during PS2 era, which robbed all the attention from Dreamcast.

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that any game company could substantially change his next console in a short period of time based on what others do. These projects needs research and development... it takes time. At this point, I believe both Microsoft and Sony are in the final stages of development (at least they should, I guess), so it's unlikely for them to change the main course of the console.

Or could it be that Sony is waiting for Microsoft just to decide the price point?

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to know that people are starting to understand what I have been saying since 1997. Sony is just a bunch of copycats! Of course all the Sony drones will shout to the rooftops about innovation once Sony steals yet another idea. Meh! Life goes on. The only good I see out of this is that the PS3 is still a fairly capable console and honestly, it makes no sense to start "next gen" now. Especially when to the mass consumer, there wont be that much of a jump in visual power.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think that any game company could substantially change his next console in a short period of time based on what others do. These projects needs research and development... it takes time. At this point, I believe both Microsoft and Sony are in the final stages of development (at least they should, I guess), so it's unlikely for them to change the main course of the console.

Although this is true, there has been some cases where companies did this, biggest example is Sega with the Saturn when they heard of the Playstation and decided to make some changes to allow the Saturn to have better 3D graphics just a year before release. Nintendo also rushed the super nintendo to compete with the mega drive, in this case at least Nintendo was succesful.

As developing consoles got more expensive, companies are now unwilling to rush or change a product's especification in the last "minute" but maybe Sony have a card up their sleeve like a new type of controller or feature that could be easily mimicked without needing to change a console's architecture at all.

Reactions: NahuelDS

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh Sony, Sony, Sony. When will you learn the meaning of the word "plaigirism" ? :teach:

PS. This time be careful where you leave your keys.

PPS. To save other people's time and effort, simply post all your PSN subscribers personal data online when they sign up.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah because making the first move hasn't been a successful strategy before right?
PS1, PS2 *hint hint*
True, but you could make an argument that the PS1 was AFTER the SNES (and competed with it for a few years), and the PS2 was AFTER the Dreamcast (and competed with it for a year or two).

Reactions: Eerpow

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
> Sony says they'll wait and see what the competition comes up with so that they can come up with better solutions (aka "innovate", come up with something different and/or improve their current project)
> Rarara copycats!

I won't even bother this time, I'll let the thread die on its own. The level of misinterpretation of everyday English expressed here is gargantuan.

D

Deleted_171835

That's a stupid decision. They already gave the Wii U a headstart. Letting the Durango release before you and get a foot hold in the market will be the final nail in the coffin.

The Xbox now has incredible brand power and will sell shitloads while the Playstation Brand has lost a lot of trust from consumers over this past generation. I just hope that for the PS4, we get PS2-era Sony instead of shitty-ass $599-era Sony.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
True, but you could make an argument that the PS1 was AFTER the SNES (and competed with it for a few years)

PS1 started a trend of 3D capable consoles. It wasn't meant to compete with the snes, it was meant to crush the snes. :P (Although the snes managed to survive due to lacking games in earlier PS1 life and those DKC + special chips games)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0