Ps4 Slim Error ce-30391-6

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by antonio010, Aug 18, 2019.

1. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    A local pawn shop was going out of business and was liquidating their inventory. I ended up buying a bunch of consoles for a pretty good price. One of the consoles was a PS4 slim that has this error on it. The system wasn't modified in any way and the tamper sticker wasn't removed. However, every time I try to play a game or access PSN, I get this error message. I've done some searching online, however, there isn't any real info on fixing this problem.

I've already done the following:

Initialize ps4 in safe mode
    Updated to latest fw version
    Swapped internal HD with a new 1tb
    Rebuild cache
    Replaced CR2032 battery in mobo

None of this has fixed this problem. Has anyone else encountered this error and resolved it successfully?

Thanks,

Last edited by antonio010, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    Have you tried:
    disconnecting the PS4 from the network
    power off the PS4 for 1 hour
    power on the PS4
    check the system clock
    insert a PS4 disk that was not installed before
    install game

3. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    Yes, all of your suggestions have already been attempted.

4. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    I'm wondering if the Southbridge IC on your motherboard is CXD90042GG? (it's the chip in the picture below)
    ps4-slim-sbric.

5. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    I can take it apart again and check.
    Are you suggesting that the southbridge be replaced?

6. testerfan

May 28, 2013
    United States
    I don't think so, but every time I had PS4 Slim with a failed CXD90042GG revision chip (that wasn't turning on, and I had to replace it), afterwards I was greeted with the same error, so it's interesting that you've having it on a virgin system, and i'm starting to wonder if this error only occurs on PS4 Slim systems with this particular revision of the board, because most Slim boards use CXD90036G chip (like the previous PS4 model, which was CUH-1215A), and I've never encountered this error on those models, though they are very similar in board architecture.
    So, if you can check which model of this chip you have - that would be very helpful to know

7. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Last edited by KiiWii, Aug 19, 2019
  8. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    It looks like I do indeed have that same chip. Attached a photo as well. What did you end up doing to fix that error?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Although the time and date did not say 1970, it wasn't saving the time after power cycling. After I replaced the cr2032 battery on the mobo the time and date are saving correctly.

Attached Files:

KiiWii likes this.
  9. testerfan

May 28, 2013
    United States
    I've ended up replacing the crystal (on the left side of the chip), and the black rectangular component on the right, and it worked fine after that (obviously you need to have a spare board to fix this)

10. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the reply. Was it these 2 components? I don't have a spare board but I wonder if we can identify the components, I can order them from digikey or a similar chip merchant? Otherwise I can pick up a dead board on ebay I suppose.

Attached Files:

11. testerfan

May 28, 2013
    United States
    yes, those are the right components, but I wasn't able to identify them, and it might be quite hard to find a dead board on ebay, because you need it to have the right Southbridge IC (and those are not that common), plus broken boards are not that cheap. If you can't find the replacements, let me know if you want to send the system in for repair to get it fixed

12. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    I was able to source a matching board. Once it arrives I'll attempt the repair. If for some reason I can't, I'll reach out for sure. Thanks.

13. testerfan

May 28, 2013
    United States
    make sure to use hot air station (at 425C/110LPM) to remove and replace the components, do not use soldering iron for this because it will damage the board and components

14. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    Yes, I have a Hakko station. I've already removed the components and sent them out to my sales rep at digikey for identification. Haven't been able to properly identify them myself there or at mouser. If I do get them identified, I'll update the thread.

15. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    Possible to share how you get the board?

16. antonio010
    OP

antonio010 Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    United States
    eBay. There was a seller who had 6 cuh-2215b boards for sale.

Bowl0l likes this.