PS4 NOT backward compatible with PS3

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never really seen what the big deal about BC is anyways. Its not really that hard to hook 2 things up at once. In the old days, there wasnt BC at all and people survived just fine.

@canuck: In 30 years we'll have perfect ps3 emulation, lol

Edit Thinking about it, the most your SNES could have lasted is 22 years, actually...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have both a Ps3 and ps2 they wont last 30 years like my snes and genesis what will i do then rebuy hundreds of games? if you had anywhere near my collection of games u'd have a problem aswell. The PS4 is optical disc based right? most likely so theres no excuse to not play ps1 ps2 ps3 games make a adaptor that will play the games if it makes the system to expensive to include inside. The people who are ok with sony doing this are sheeps let them tell you whats right some more.

It is not as easy as you have said. I can be technical and give you a lot of reasons why such concept you proposed wouldn't work.

Just because a game is on a disc does NOT mean it works universally. Quite frankly you should have no problem keeping PS3 and PS2 alive for 30 years. If anything disc themselves will be first one to die before console.

And who is to say there won't be a PS3 emulator 10 years into the future?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The PS4 is optical disc based right? most likely so theres no excuse to not play ps1 ps2 ps3 games
Try reading the posts that have already been posted in this thread. That was already covered.

make a adaptor that will play the games if it makes the system to expensive to include inside.
The "adapter" would be A PS3. Getting the PS4 to run PS3 games will be about as easy as getting a PS3 to run 360 games. "An adapter" will not cut it.

The people who are ok with sony doing this are sheeps let them tell you whats right some more.
And the people who were okay with the SNES not playing NES games were sheep. I mean they were both carts right?

Christ, learn a little about tech before you open your mouth.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
PS4 NOT backward compatible with PS3
noshitsherlock2.jpg

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Let's be optimistic... making the PS4 backward compatible would make it more expensive.

I don't understand people who actually have a PS3 complaining about lack of backwards compatibility. TVs nowadays have tons of hdmi ports and all other kinds of input, you don't even have to go to your TV and remove and insert cables like you did in the past. The only thing you need to do to switch between a ps4 and a ps3 game is get the controller remote and push a couple of buttons.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gives no fucks!

...am I trolling? Ya damn right! I'll go as far as saying "Fuck a PlayStation!"

OK, Trolling done! :grog: In all seriousness, I'm sure GaiKai will allow for PS3 and 2 games to be streamed to the console. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if "Playing - while - Streaming" was just Gaikai streaming the game to you while you download and then once you're done with your first session, your save file is instantly transferred to your console. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing PS2 games added to PlayStation Mobile.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gives no fucks!

...am I trolling? Ya damn right! I'll go as far as saying "Fuck a PlayStation!"

OK, Trolling done! :grog: In all seriousness, I'm sure GaiKai will allow for PS3 and 2 games to be streamed to the console. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if "Playing - while - Streaming" was just Gaikai streaming the game to you while you download and then once you're done with your first session, your save file is instantly transferred to your console. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing PS2 games added to PlayStation Mobile.
That's actually a pretty neat idea. The visuals might be a bit lower, but I won't have to wait for a multi GB game to download before playing it.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
And who is to say there won't be a PS3 emulator 10 years into the future?

why would you wait 10 yrs for that? http://ps3.emulatorx.info/

i really don't see what the big deal is. back when i got into gaming there was no backwards compatibility. the next system offered new experiences and new software. you bought the new system because you wanted those better/newer experiences. i just hope they continue to support the ps3 via PSN. i expect to be able to purchase and redownload software for a long time.

-another world

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i really don't see what the big deal is. back when i got into gaming there was no backwards compatibility. the next system offered new experiences and new software. you bought the new system because you wanted those better/newer experiences. i just hope they continue to support the ps3 via PSN. i expect to be able to purchase and redownload software for a long time.

-another world

THE FUTURE IS ALREADY HERE! :hrth:

No BC no sale. A PS3 will not last 30 years they barley last 2.
Have fun staying with last-gen for the rest of your life, pal.
i have both a Ps3 and ps2 they wont last 30 years like my snes and genesis what will i do then rebuy hundreds of games? if you had anywhere near my collection of games u'd have a problem aswell. The PS4 is optical disc based right? most likely so theres no excuse to not play ps1 ps2 ps3 games make a adaptor that will play the games if it makes the system to expensive to include inside. The people who are ok with sony doing this are sheeps let them tell you whats right some more.
Right because USB 2.0 can completely support the throughput that a CPU and GPU have, simultaneously, that you would need to use such an "adapter", right? You're a freaking genius, I can't believe Sony didn't think of that first when they removed BC from the PS3 for PS1/2. I mean, sure, it was like three consoles in one before, which is why it's so small now, being just a single console. Why don't they re-add all of the stuff PLUS a PS3 and have a FOUR IN ONE console! Introducing the new MSRP of $999 US DOLLARS!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people wondering what the big deal with BC is, its really really nice to have during the launch of a console when there are so few good games. My PS2 at launch played quite a few PS1 games while I waited for Twisted Metal Black, Tekken Tag, and so on.

Of course after a year or two BC is pretty much just icing on the cake by that time you should have a pretty good library of games built up to keep the stigma of "it has no games!" away.... (The Vita could have used BC in this exact situation but I agree with Sony ditching UMD so yeah no BC is a pain, worth it? I think so but maybe it wasn't?)

On the PS4's BC issue, it should be compatible with the PS1 and maybe the PS2 via software. PS1 emulation should support all kinds of cool filters like the OpenGL ones... (There are some really cool OpenGL cell shaded filters and black and white stencil filters and cartoon filters for the PS1.)

If they don't have a software PS1 emulator at least, thats just sad :(

Edit: To put it really in perspective how important BC is, I spend more time playing PS1 and PS2 games on my PS3 than I do playing PS3 games....

Edit 2: I think Sony could have upgraded Cell to one of the other versions added all the RAM upgraded the GPU, kept BC with the PS3 and PS1... But AMD probably offered them a good price VS IBM's Cell.

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
For people wondering what the big deal with BC is, its really really nice to have during the launch of a console when there are so few good games. My PS2 at launch played quite a few PS1 games while I waited for Twisted Metal Black, Tekken Tag, and so on.

Of course after a year or two BC is pretty much just icing on the cake by that time you should have a pretty good library of games built up to keep the stigma of "it has no games!" away.... (The Vita could have used BC in this exact situation but I agree with Sony ditching UMD so yeah no BC is a pain, worth it? I think so but maybe it wasn't?)

On the PS4's BC issue, it should be compatible with the PS1 and maybe the PS2 via software. PS1 emulation should support all kinds of cool filters like the OpenGL ones... (There are some really cool OpenGL cell shaded filters and black and white stencil filters and cartoon filters for the PS1.)

If they don't have a software PS1 emulator at least, thats just sad :(

Edit: To put it really in perspective how important BC is, I spend more time playing PS1 and PS2 games on my PS3 than I do playing PS3 games....

Edit 2: I think Sony could have upgraded Cell to one of the other versions added all the RAM upgraded the GPU, kept BC with the PS3 and PS1... But AMD probably offered them a good price VS IBM's Cell.
Software emulation still takes time to develop, which costs money, and isn't perfect which creates it's own problems, and will again drive up the price. It would also be kind of strange announcing ps1/2 software BC and using the streaming service for ps3 only.

They didn't use cell for reasons already mentioned, and it isn't because of the price. Developers would much rather code for an x86 architecture than a cell one, which will in the end also produce better and more stable code.

I don't know why people are shocked to see no local BC support.

Edited due to a premature ejaculation of the submit button

Reactions: Rydian

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i just hope they continue to support the ps3 via PSN. i expect to be able to purchase and redownload software for a long time.
-another world

PSP is still supported on PSN, and PS3 is still selling strong, so PS3 will be with us for a while.

They can't. IBM stopped any new development on Cell. Sony HAD to move on.

Plus PS4 focus is being developer friendly. Sony had to drop Cell because it is notoriously difficult to program.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

No one is saying BC isn't a nice feature, problem is that there is no way PS4 will have it. :(

This isn't news, the first models of the PS3 offered complete BC with the PS2 and they were $599. Of course, one of the ways they found to drop the PS3 price would be to eventually remove the actual PS2's GPU and CPU from the PS3, which did literally nothing useful unless providing BC. I think Sony is making quite a good decision, if the PS4 includes BC but it turns out to be too pricey, people who want to play PS3 games will just buy a PS3.

Also, Sony has chose to use complicated architectures for the PS2 and the PS3, so there is no way to use some smart tricks like using the older console processor in the new console as a co-processor just like the Mega Drive and Nintendo DS did.

And where is the optimism of all Sony fans in this forum? Of course the PS4 will be a good system and will have great games. It doesn't need any BC to do that :P

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BC did play an important part as to why PS2 was successful (during that time neither GameCube and Dreamcast have BC). Sony tried to replicate that magic formula with PS3, but it backfired because unlike PS1 to PS2 (where it is still MIPS), PS2 to PS3 is a major change (MIPS to Cell) that needs the inclusion of EE and GS for BC. Needless to say $599 launch price did not help PS3 launch sales at all. Not to mentioned at that time PS3 was already priced at a loss (hence why people called it a very cheap Blu-ray player at that time).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone really surprised given how much Sony likes to re-charge you to play games you've bought before? Or UMD to PSN?

The streaming part makes me wonder, though. I'm waiting to see what Microsoft does, before I decide whether or not to make a PS4 a priority or a "It'd be nice, but no fucks given either way".

And to think they bitched about Nintendo's policy on repurchasing. :lol:

Wiicho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on people. This is sony we are talking about.

It won't surprise me if at launch sony decides to drop the streaming idea and few years after removes ps4 format support from the console. Then the ps4 will be another box collecting dust like my ps3 is now.

What sony gives, sony takes. :nayps3:

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

-another world
And how old are you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_7800
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_System

http://eab.abime.net/archive/index.php/t-12427.html

And how about PC in general for gaming?

BTW, I agree about what the big deal is.
Anyone want to buy a PS3?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte