PS4 NOT backward compatible with PS3

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've never really seen what the big deal about BC is anyways. Its not really that hard to hook 2 things up at once. In the old days, there wasnt BC at all and people survived just fine.

@canuck: In 30 years we'll have perfect ps3 emulation, lol

Edit Thinking about it, the most your SNES could have lasted is 22 years, actually...
Acctually nowadays it's very handy.
For instance my Wii replaced my Nes, Snes, Mastersytem, Megadrive,C64, Amiga, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, 7800, PC engine/cd, GAMECUBE, some via emulators. Not to mention all the catridges etc that were lying around.
THE BEST INSVESTMENT I ever made in terms of space saving.
Modern times, yay!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acctually nowadays it's very handy.
For instance my Wii replaced my Nes, Snes, Mastersytem, Megadrive,C64, Amiga, Atari 2600( these do not work on lcd tv's btw) Atari 5200, 7800, PC engine/cd, GAMECUBE, some via emulators. Not to mention all the catridges etc that were lying around.
THE BEST INSVESTMENT I ever made in terms of space saving.
Modern times, yay!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love emulation and think all the emulators we have on the Wii are one of its best features. But that's not the same as BC, and if say the Wii U for whatever reason hadn't played Wii games/homebrew I would have no problem hooking them both up. In fact I dis have them both hooked up for a little bit until they got HBC et al working again.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you want to mow a lawn, buy a lawn mower. If you want to play PlayStation 3 games, buy a PlayStation 3.

I'll be brutally honest - if you're buying a Next Generation system for playing Last Generation games, you're doing it wrong. What matters the most is that Sony's reaching out to the developer, they've created a system that will be easy to develop for with developer's insight in mind, which is the exact opposite of what they did with the PS3 when all they wanted was technical prowess at the cost of the convenience of easy development.

What I want now is the console to be affordable and if the launch line-up will be great, I won't give two flips about PS3 titles.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think it's unreasonable for the average consumer who doesn't care about specs to expect the console to be backwards compatible. In their mindset, it would be reasonable to assume that the next iteration of a console should be compatible with software designed for previous iterations.
That only takes you so-far. Backward Compatibility is like a backpack of bricks a console has to carry on its back, slowing it down for the sake of being compatible with old software.

It's not "natural" to expect that new technology will be compatible with old technology because new technology is, well, new. Some features that are obsolete in old technology are removed in new technology and Cell was deemed obsolete, with good reasons behind doing so as well.

All that adding the Cell to the PS4 would amount to would be ramping up the price, and I'll tell you what would happen - the console would do everything everybody wants but people would still rag on it because "FIVEHUNDREDNINETYNINE DORRARS!" and Sony doesn't want that to happen again.

At the end of the day, nobody in the history of ever has fully satisfied their userbase with a product because customers are diverse - what Sony's doing is ditching the old and reaching out to the new, and god bless them for that because I sure as hell don't want to pay a fortune for a Next Generation console at this point.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In these times, BC simply means more bang for your buck.
For playstation, I really do not care.
I won't get dragged in again. no matter how many top notch actors are gonna in the commercials.
And I also do not care for specs, only games.
And I simply cannot afford it at the moment, spended my money on the dissapointing WiiU....

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
So many post about that backward compatibility but nobody noticed the "future compatibility"??
Take a look at the structure of a PS3 and you will see that Sony has gone all out their own way making conversion of games for the PS3 more difficult.
Now the PS4 will be more "mainstream" with an x86 architecture, what that means??
1) Sony has not the money or don't want to spend money to go with a completely new and revolutionary system
2) the fact that the PS Vita is suffering of the lack pf 3th party developper, made Sony think and so they are staying more near Xbox 720 and PC so that conversions of the games can be more easy. Yes, this means that it will probably be the end of 3th party exclusive titles.
3) the future of gaming is so uncertain that they are progressing with caution.
The right answer is probably a mix of those 3 things but what is important, is that all those speculations about Xbox720 or PS4 being 6-8 times faster than the current generation, are bullshit.
If you know a bit about technologie and you look at the PC of today, you see that there wasn't such a big jump as it was the case 20 years ago in the same time span.
The second fact is that we are going toward the all games for all consoles so the choice is just for the customer to make and probably in a more far future that console will dissapear completely or take the place of a desktop PC.
In fact i was reading years back that there will probably not be a PS4 at all (connected to the change at the head of Sony japan and market study) but it seems to me like they want to try it one last time.
Anyway concluding, I not expect much more than decent modern PC, 3D, probably SSD HDD or Hybrid HDD (depending on how much the rest of the console costs) with the move controller, touchscreen and movement sensors from the PS4.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like my dad would say "the blue ray player plays all the dvds we have. Why doesn't the playstation play all the games we have?" He doesn't care about specs. He just hates spending money on something we already have.

It does support Blurays still, if you care.

Also, I don't care really. I'm not buying a PS4 to play PS3 games. An inconvenience? Yes, but it's not the first console in existence to do so. Remember the N64? The Gamecube? Even later PS3's?

EDIT: Only thing I'm displeased about is that your digital games won't transfer to cloud streaming.

EDIT2: Also what's with this whole thing of the PS4 being "Sony's last hurrah"? Sony have done consistently well in home consoles. Actually they've done REALLY FUCKING WELL. 100 million PSX sales, 150 million PS2 sales. They set a record and broke it with their next console. The PS3 was off to a bumpy start but it's now doing really well.

Reactions: Scuba156

gusmento01

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's funny you bring these up - The SNES isn't backwards compatible and both consoles were followed by consoles that lacked backwards compatible. Shouldn't you be used to this by now?

Also, wow. I finally found someone who understands console hardware even less than I do.

Sega Genesis was officially backwards compatible with Master System by using the Power Base Converter.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I'm certain that the PS3 will last a long time, first of all. In compatibility with the PS4, I'm actually pretty shocked to hear that. But, as p1ngy said, STOP CRYING. I actually predicted this were to happen, too. In time, the PS3 will drop in value, so PS3's will be cheap then. Get a PS3, play PS3 games on that, Get a PS4, play PS4 games on that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sega Genesis was officially backwards compatible with Master System by using the Power Base Converter.
They could release an Add-On containing the CELL only and deal with the rest via software methods, except why would they do that and who would buy it? You have to keep in mind that this kind of thing would easily cost a $100.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Right, which is why I only said the SNES wasn't backwards compatible. My second point was that the Saturn and Dreamcast weren't backwards compatible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Right, which is why I only said the SNES wasn't backwards compatible. My second point was that the Saturn and Dreamcast weren't backwards compatible.
This just in, PlayStation 4 now natively compatible with PlayStation 1 (including Pocket Station), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable (UMD as well as Digital via MSPD and M2 support) and PlayStation Vita (via cartridge as well as memory card support), here's the leaked photo of the system:
s8LjDDl.jpg

Reactions: Qtis and Gahars

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's because the Gen was an upgraded MS, like the Wii is an upgraded GC, and the DS is an upgraded GBA (more along the lines of the GBA->DS, since the Genesis used the whole "the older processor is my co-processor" trick). The power base converter was just a connection thing.

Backwards compatibility is often a burden, and sometimes it just needs to be dropped to move forward.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because the Gen was an upgraded MS, like the Wii is an upgraded GC, and the DS is an upgraded GBA (more along the lines of the GBA->DS, since the Genesis used the whole "the older processor is my co-processor" trick). The power base converter was just a connection thing.

I really didn't know what you are trying to say. That like saying the launch ps3 was a upgraded ps2 and that was a upgraded ps1. :unsure:

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really didn't know what you are trying to say. That like saying the launch ps3 was a upgraded ps2 and that was a upgraded ps1. :unsure:

Well no. He's saying that the actual tech of the consoles he mentioned were just borrowing older tech and integrating it into their infrastructure. Whereas the PS2->PS3 and PS3->PS4 are using completely different tech, the consoles he mentioned used older yet improved tech. So it's a lot easier to have backwards compatibility on a Wii or a DS where it already used some of the older tech than on a PS3 or a PS4 where it would require shoving old tech into the console alongside new tech just for the sake of backwards compatibility.

Reactions: KingVamp

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This just in, PlayStation 4 now natively compatible with PlayStation 1 (including Pocket Station), PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable (UMD as well as Digital via MSPD and M2 support) and PlayStation Vita (via cartridge as well as memory card support),
But no PS3 support? Lame.

Reactions: Foxi4 and KingVamp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo