Hacking Ps4 HDD clone error

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings all!

So i got myself a 4tb HDD to upgrade to. I pulled out the drive with all my games and saves, and did a sector-by-sector clone.
I made sure to keep the exact partition table, and cloned all partitions. Original 1tb was GPT, new drive GPT also.

After the clone, I plug in the 4tb to ensure it works before I extend the data partition.
Ps4 would not boot, wanted the psupdate.DAT. So I put the original drive, and same thing. So im going to need to run the 4.05 update on the original. Does that mean that once it updates, all the games and saves are gone, or will it only initialize the OS, and keep the data intact?

If it is going to wipe, would there be any way to pull files out of the original drive? I know it would be encrypted, so I was thinking of booting on the 4tb after updating, then attaching the original as USB, and running the FTP payload.
Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited by Tilde88,

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You always need to reinstall FW when replacing PS3/4 hdds.

Doing so will not delete data. It will just reinstall the firmware.

Be careful not to update: MD5 check the 4.05 pup.
I'm sorry to bother again.

Im trying the update, but it says that this update cannot be used. From searching online, it seems that I have to use the full firmware file; not the smaller update-only file.

I just want to be sure... Installing the full firmware will not delete the data either, or is this a different process altogether and it does wipe?
To verify, I tried the same 4.05 update file (md5 checked) that I used to update from 3.70 to 4.05. I tried this update not only on the new 4tb, bit also on the original drive; neither accepted it.

Last edited by Tilde88,

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Tilde88,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Tilde88 if in doubt hang fire and wait for more answers.

In my experience though I havent cloned a drive and then reinstalled fw.

I have reinstalled FW on an existing drive and not lost anything.

And I have reinstalled FW to a new blank drive.

Its slightly different in this case.

Reactions: Tilde88

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Tilde88 if in doubt hang fire and wait for more answers.

In my experience though I havent cloned a drive and then reinstalled fw.

I have reinstalled FW on an existing drive and not lost anything.

And I have reinstalled FW to a new blank drive.

Its slightly different in this case.

It even says on the PS4 itself that all users and data will be deleted.

So I'm doing that now on the new drive... And hoping I can see the old drive via FTP.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It even says on the PS4 itself that all users and data will be deleted.

So I'm doing that now on the new drive... And hoping I can see the old drive via FTP.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
The "update" is stored on the system and the hdd technically. What is odd is that you're saying the old hdd also wants to format now? Maybe it's because you cloned it? The ps4 will not detect a cloned drive as being the same as the original drive no matter what. It's a foreign hdd even if it has the same data. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the ps4 cant detect that the old hdd because it was read, cloned, and it doesn't like that?

Bad news is, since you are on 4.05 and most likely will be staying on 4.05, there is no way to get those saves back unless you somehow get the ps4 to recognize the old hdd.

After reinstalling the fw, stick the old hdd in and see how it acts

Last edited by Lumince,
Reactions: KiiWii and Tilde88

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "update" is stored on the system and the hdd technically. What is odd is that you're saying the old hdd also wants to format now? Maybe it's because you cloned it? The ps4 will not detect a cloned drive as being the same as the original drive no matter what. It's a foreign hdd even if it has the same data. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the ps4 cant detect that the old hdd because it was read, cloned, and it doesn't like that?

Bad news is, since you are on 4.05 and most likely will be staying on 4.05, there is no way to get those saves back unless you somehow get the ps4 to recognize the old hdd.

After reinstalling the fw, stick the old hdd in and see how it acts
The saves I don't care much about, I mean, it would be nice, but what I really want is the 850GB of PKGs that are in the original drive.

Yea, let me plug the original drive in now and see what happens. Cloning it only reads, so it cannot change anything in the drive; so it should not have affected the "relationship" b/w the ps4 and the drive. Let's see

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The saves I don't care much about, I mean, it would be nice, but what I really want is the 850GB of PKGs that are in the original drive.

Yea, let me plug the original drive in now and see what happens. Cloning it only reads, so it cannot change anything in the drive; so it should not have affected the "relationship" b/w the ps4 and the drive. Let's see

So after initializing full fw on the 4tb, I shut down, and swapped back to the original drive. Same issue. Tried to do an "update" via safe mode, but it still would not take. I plugged the 4TB back in, and didnt have to update or re-initialize.

My guess is... When I plugged in the 1tb to my PC to start cloning, Windows might have added something in System Volume Information, which in turn killed the encryption key... Going to exploit now on the 4tb, and see what I can see (if anything) via ftp.

Last edited by Tilde88,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So after initializing full fw on the 4tb, I shut down, and swapped back to the original drive. Same issue. Tried to do an "update" via safe mode, but it still would not take. I plugged the 4TB back in, and didnt have to update or re-initialize.

My guess is... When I plugged in the 1tb to my PC to start cloning, Windows might have added something in System Volume Information, which in turn killed the encryption key... Going to exploit now on the 4tb, and see what I can see (if anything) via ftp.
Yea that's a bummer dude... Yea I didn't think about the SVI tbh. But that could very well be what happened. That's why I had an external bff that I backed everything up too. Then swapped hdds and restored the data. That way there was no issues.

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've had success cloning and swapping hard drives with my PS4 using the clone feature in my dual USB dock. I haven't tried it yet with 4.05 (still waiting for further scene developments), but you might be right about the SVI. Could be worth the $30 or so to get a hardware clone solution.

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea that's a bummer dude... Yea I didn't think about the SVI tbh. But that could very well be what happened. That's why I had an external bff that I backed everything up too. Then swapped hdds and restored the data. That way there was no issues.
Here is the weirdest part... I just unplugged the 4TB from my PS4, plugged it into my PC, saw it in Disk Management, so I know it was recognized/accessed by Windows (just like the original 1TB).......
Plugged it back into the PS4, and the thing boot up... The original HDD must have gotten corrupt -- except all of its partitions are healthy and OK. Nothing was changed on the original. There goes 1 month's data cap down the drain. Data caps are not supposed to be a thing on ISPs... Bullshit comcast.

D

Deleted User

So you basically did this in a way I feel is incorrect. Here in my video I show the way:

So basically you use the ps4 itself to backup content to a usb. Then place a new hd in the ps4. Turn on ps4 with the recovery or full update on a usb. Then use the ps4 to restore the content from original hd.

I think what you don't realize is when you load an HD in Windoze. Windoze adds files to it. This corrupts the drive for the ps4.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle. Good luck!

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you basically did this in a way I feel is incorrect. Here in my video I show the way:

So basically you use the ps4 itself to backup content to a usb. Then place a new hd in the ps4. Turn on ps4 with the recovery or full update on a usb. Then use the ps4 to restore the content from original hd.

I think what you don't realize is when you load an HD in Windoze. Windoze adds files to it. This corrupts the drive for the ps4.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle. Good luck!

Not only is your information bad, it is invalid.
In order to save to USB, you must be logged in to psn. Furthermore, the save files are not what I wanted; it was the pkg directories.
Lastly, FTP would be a much better option to backup saves or PkGs.

Additionally, I already disputed my own Windows theory. I was able to plug in my 4tb to Windows, and back in to my PS4, no issues.
Not only do I not find you techy in the slightest ("windoze", really?), but i find your videos to be quite annoying, you have this "air" around you when you speak that I simply dislike.
Anyway, thanks for trying.

Also, anyone watching this thread...
I've already got all the games I had, and more back. I just used my office internet to dl the games I already deleted. I had a recent copy of the last of us saved via ftp, so I can restore that. Only thing I really lost was the resident evil 7 save, wasn't that far in.

Also, I will be uploading The Last of Us dumped by me, with the 1.07 update merged into it (so us ps4 pro users can do HDR) I'll start when (if?) I make it to the office. Keep an eye on that hax site, I'll be upping to zippy.

Last edited by Tilde88,
Reactions: KiiWii

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've started the upload now. Will be like 6 hours before it finishes. Only 20 megabits upload at the office.

Thanks to everyone for their input in this thread. If a mod sees this, please feel free to close the thread. In the end, the original 1TB drive was corrupt; I'm just going to assume it was some sort of janky USB connection that must have dc'd a few times while the drive was live.

D

Deleted User

I've started the upload now. Will be like 6 hours before it finishes. Only 20 megabits upload at the office.

Thanks to everyone for their input in this thread. If a mod sees this, please feel free to close the thread. In the end, the original 1TB drive was corrupt; I'm just going to assume it was some sort of janky USB connection that must have dc'd a few times while the drive was live.

Tilde88 I have a jailbroken ps4 and the whole process was recorded I never went on psn. Are you sure you are just not mistaken?

I made my post and this post for others who may think you are forced to clone your hd. I want them to know you just need a usb drive with a large enough hd to backup your data and then you can just use that usb hd to restore the data to the new internal hd. Yes this works with hen pkg. No I did not need psn. Please watch my video below for proof:

Last edited by ,

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the member moderator with name PSXHAX (at the PSXHAX website) is a communist.
I said I would post the game, and he said he would delete the thread, since the game is already in a thread.
So I said if that was the case, I would not post it at all, because then I get no credit at all (like credit even does anything - but that is not the point). I mentioned that i might post it elsewhere, and it could not be crossposted, because that little leeching shit edits OP posts and just puts extra links in there. I also made a comment saying that if we could not post games with new features and updates (especially games that are repacked to enable HDR), then perhaps a new sub-forum should be opened within PSXHAX to let people know that there are "HDR Games" to download there.
Well, mr.badass took offense to that and banned me, calling me childish that I couldn't get my way, and that i threatened the forum by saying that because I was not allowed to post it, PSXHAX couldn't have it.

The sad part is, the upload finished, I got pissed, and closed the zippy page before I even saw the links.

I did challenege him to try to keep me out of PSXHAX, and he proceeded to ban my IP as well, and close registration. Little does he know I am still in, and will remain in, albeit as a leecher only. Regardless what I said, I was still going to share it... I was just (and I quote) "disheartened by the fact that we can't make new threads [for non-existing dumps]". I would have cooled down, and posted it, but then his inner communist came out -- apparently it is not ok to speak your mind at PSXHAX. Mind you, I didn't have a negative tone, I didn't insult anyone, didn't break any rules, any ToS, nothing. He just has issues in his personal life that he cannot overcome I suppose. I would link you to the post I made, but of course the lil bastard took it down lol. I do have pics of the zippy upload having finished, and pics of the convo he and I had. He essentially said that because I was a "repeat offender" ( I had one infraction one time when I said "that ps3 iso site") - because apparently it is completely against the rules to even HINT towards other sites; I never put a link, a .com anything, it was super vague. That was 2 days ago, and I said "sorry wont happen again", and thanked him for the unban. We-he-hell, apparently that makes me a class 5 repeat offender felon. As if I even did anything even close to an offense or infraction or w/e. Lol I "threatened" the whole forum by saying I wouldn't post it there. This guy is a tool lmao. Oh yea, and he said that the rules and ToS are just a general thing, that bans/infractions/rules are all decided by the moderators -- kinda like he was saying, "you didn't do anything wrong, but you pissed me off". Lol and I'm the childish one :-p

Anyway, you can thank the PSXHAX moderator named PSXHAX for his pettiness. Now somewhere in zippy lies 85 parts that no one will ever see. It's too bad, the game looks much better with HDR :)

And to clarify, I legit was still going to put the links up - now there is no possibility of that since I rage closed the browser. That guy must be offspring of Trump and Kim Jon Un i guess. And no, I will not go through the effort of re-upping 42gigs. Someone else will have to buy the game, install the update, dump it, package it, and upload.

Edit : I wonder if there is a search tool hacked up for zippy? If there is, maybe you can find it by filenames from my screenshot. Then again, I did click the "Private Upload" button, but I don't really know what that does... I was just trying to keep the links up for as long as possible (thus the changed name in the rar files)

Attachments

• psxhax2.png
    psxhax2.png
    173.2 KB · Views: 377
  • R.I.P.png
    R.I.P.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by Tilde88,

Tilde88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tilde88 that's crazy someone else i know has a very similar story

I wouldn't doubt it.

also, wanted to apologize to you for being an asshole to you - that was not ok. sorry ♥
i hadn't ever seen that backup option; i assumed you were talking about the save data backup to usb - that one does require PSN to be logged in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum